Fret Tang Trimmer

Timbuck

Reaction score
Having a workshop with a "Milling Machine" can come in handy sometimes, when you can make things that are just not available anywhere else.

With the small thin type fret wire that I use.. I've found trimming the tangs at the end with wire cutters is a fiddly job and it distorts the wire a bit...and under close inspection it dosn't do a very neat job:(...So I pinched an idea from "Chuck":) ..Good old "Chuck" found a way of doing this job on a mini grinder...So I took the idea and poshed it up a bit and came up with this...It can be used on a disc/belt sander or a pedestal grinder or whatever...Once set up it works superdooper and every one comes off the same.
PICT0035-1.jpg

And this is how it works.. This is the slider bit it slides back and forth in the base part up to the ajustable stop at the end of the stroke.
PICT0047.jpg

The fretwire is clamped into the slot in the slider like this...with the end poking out to required setting...I intend fitting a thumbscrew on the clamp, and maybe marking graduations to set the wire too
PICT0023-1.jpg

Next slider is inserted back into base unit already set up on the sander machine...slide up to the end stop and wire is ground to shape as you go...It just takes seconds
PICT0032.jpg

And it comes out like this...Fitting a new sanding disc will even work better.
PICT0042-1.jpg

Last edited:
It seems more like having a milling machine and knowing what you are doing comes in handy.

Yes, nice job on the tool. I wish I had those machining skills.
I used to use a guide with the sanding disk to grind the tang but I eventually found that the small carbide wheels made a cleaner cut that the sanding disc. Either way, it works so much better than the nippers do.
(You need to add a "Buy Now" button to your post.)

i have to say... i am in awe... two questions..

A. can i have one?

B. can you ken, think of a use in uke building (or in a workshop way) of using overhead door closers? i have some... :)

Fret wire material is pretty tough stuff. The large, thick reinforced cut-off wheels made by Dremel will do the job nicely. As you can see there are many ways to skin this cat.
That's the one I got the idea from :cool:...And I see no reason why my design can't be copied in "Hard wood" instead of metal..It should work just as well :D

Those are both great ideas. Now I've got to clob together yet another jig.

Gotta make room on the self now. Perhaps tomorrow a little used jig is going to find it's way to the bin to make room for something more useful.

Thanks fellas.

What amazes me about 'our' jigs is the great variation in pursuit of the same outcome... I like Chuck's for it's simplicity and Ken's for its sophistication - both priceless examples of need driving change. I think I'm going with Chuck's... another use for my near useless dremel!

I was just going to suggest a small improvement to Chucks device...But he's now heading for the hills..co's the Hawian tsunami warning has gone off...I hope it's not as bad as Japan...Take care Chuck.

It's all good. I've been up all night keeping an eye on things.

I'd like to hear your suggestion Ken. The photo I attached was the prototype model. I'll take a picture of the refinements I made and post a pic later. Gotta get some sleep now. zzzzzzzzzzzz

I'll have to figure out some way to do it on a table saw :rolleyes:
:rotfl: now that's funny. while you're at it see if you can help me figure a way to get the coffee out from between the computer keys.

Chuck, that sounds like quite a night...glad to see you guys made it through OK.

Ken if you disappeared tomorrow, someone would walk into your shop and NEVER figure out what all these contraptions are for :). My favorite so far is still the kerfing cutter. I love that one.

Ken if you disappeared tomorrow, someone would walk into your shop and NEVER figure out what all these contraptions are for :). My favorite so far is still the kerfing cutter. I love that one.
Sorry to disapoint you ..but that design ain't one of mine :( it's been around for twenty years or more ..I got it off a video I found on Utube about 3 years ago..and I also viewed a similar one on a "Pete Howlet" video... and I think he got his from another builder...There are various versions of it out there now... including this motorised one seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-pdUWoNjPo I was going to do it this way with a windscreen wiper motor but never got round to it.;)...and while you're on utube have a look at all the other stuff he doe's....Personally I think he should spend a bit more time at the Gym ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom