POLL: Am I a reasonable man?

Am I reasonable returning this Kamaka? (see thread)

• Yes, return it. At full retail the finish should be perfect.

Votes: 45 65.2%
  • No. Small flaws are within the margin of error in a handmade instrument. Keep it.

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Keep it, but only if they knock of bucks.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • Keep it and have it refinished by Kamaka someday when you go on vacation in Hawaii.

Votes: 9 13.0%

• Total voters

pdxuke

Reaction score
Ok, short lived happiness:

the Kamaka concert has a finish flaw.

It looks like dust on the heel between coats.

It is subtle, but there. And I know it is there.

I paid FULL RETAIL + for an "upgraded" case. Not a second.

Whataya think?

Am I reasonable if I return? Please vote.

UPDATE: If you're just reading this post, the issue is heading towards a happy ending with this replacement concert:

attachment.php

Last edited:
You're not unreasonable at all. This is not a $50 beater you're holding. You've paid for an expensive higher-end musical instrument and you have every right to expect you'll get an instrument without flaws. Unless you fell in love with the instrument at first sight, flaws and all, and are prepared to wear the depreciated value if/when you were to sell it on, you should negotiate a satisfactory outcome. You deserve it, and to my mind so do the retailer and manufacturer - they deserve that you will keep them honest and preserve their reputations.

That's my opinion, and it's all mine.

I'm a little divided on what my response would be. Got pics of the blemish Thom?

I'm a little divided on what my response would be. Got pics of the blemish Thom?

No, my camera doesn't have a good enough close up lens. You have to be up close on it. Let me put it this way, I most likely would have chosen another instrument in a shop if this were side by side, depending of course on how it played. This plays beautifully.

To add to it, the tsunami warning in Hawaii makes all of this seem rather ridiculous anyway.

No, my camera doesn't have a good enough close up lens. You have to be up close on it. Let me put it this way, I most likely would have chosen another instrument in a shop if this were side by side, depending of course on how it played. This plays beautifully.

To add to it, the tsunami warning in Hawaii makes all of this seem rather ridiculous anyway.

yeah, I've just been over watching the live stuff on TV. Unbelievable. What is happening to our world...

For anyone that way inclined, the Book of Matthew sure makes interesting reading at the moment, especially Chapter 24, 25...

I don't think the posters and lurkers at UU make up half the players on the planet by a long long long long way. That said, have you tried the macro setting on your camera? It's the one that looks like a flower usually. I'd return it. Just because you're returning something doesn't make you a jerk. I mean calling them up and shouting abuse would be one thing, but calmly explaining a blemish and being pleasant to deal with is another. Kamaka should be able to deal with that alright. :)

if its such a small flaw you can't even photograph and you love the way it sound who cares about that little spec. just chill strum and enjoy yer uke. because perfection is fiction and demanding perfection is just crazy XD

Return it. I returned a Kiwaya once because of what I considered substandard quality and recieved a spectacular one to replace it.

I would ignore it, especially if you like the sound and the flaw is too small to photograph. Say you send this one back and they give you a different one with a perfect finish...but you don't like the sound as much?

Sound would be more important to me then a tiny finish flaw.

But to play devil's advocate to those saying that it's easier to keep it, this is an issue and I've never had dust under the finish of a uke cheap or expensive, and getting returns is feedback for Kamaka. It tells them something they need to know. How can a company improve if no one gives them feedback or they never see problems returning?

I didn't realize PDXUke got it from Gryphon, that being the case, and given they were supposed to give it a once-over, I'm sure they'll be reasonable to deal with.

If it sounds great, I'd keep it. Who cares what it looks like, especially in a spot that no one sees?

But that's just me. Nothing wrong with sending it back if you want to.

JJ

I would also vote to bring it up with Kamaka. As a manufacturer and retailer of high-end instruments, I'm pretty certain they will want to ensure customer satisfaction and above all that their products that are out there meet their quality standards. I'm certain that they wouldn't want any substandard product to leave their shop. I'm not sure how this might have happened but no QA is perfect.

That said, Skitzic brings up a good point about sound although I can't imagine that a Kamaka would not sound as awesome as we'd expect.

I don't think the posters and lurkers at UU make up half the players on the planet by a long long long long way. That said, have you tried the macro setting on your camera? It's the one that looks like a flower usually. I'd return it. Just because you're returning something doesn't make you a jerk. I mean calling them up and shouting abuse would be one thing, but calmly explaining a blemish and being pleasant to deal with is another. Kamaka should be able to deal with that alright. :)

Great advise. But are you ever going to get a perfect mass produced ukulele?
This is one of the downfalls of ordering online. I take what I can get if it sounds great does a blemish that will be against your body really matter?

BTW Thom, I think you are handling this very mature and professional. Thanks for giving me hope in the American consumer once again.

FINISH FLAWS ARE VERY HARD TO PHOTOGRAPH, ESPECIALLY IN GLOSS FINISHES. I HAVE BEEN TRYING ALL MORNING. I too received an instrument from an online source and understand your disappointment. Mine came with a loose brace and has one glaring finish flaw, to me that is, that is impossible to photograph. To be fair , it is 'only' a $250 uke, and the brace could have popped loose in shipping. but still, it took the glow off the honeymoon.

Last edited:
Is the Kamaka satin or gloss?

Is it a texture issue... something you can feel?

Is it a lower gloss issue because of the uneven surface?

I only ask because if it was caused by not correctly buffing out that spot, it is probably an easy fix and I am less inclined to think you should sent it back.

There are just too many good guitars that do not have perfect finishes and they are sold as new first quality.

Plus every instrument finish will eventually show some wear if it is used.

John

I would say if you paid full retail, you deserve a perfect finish. If it is bugging you, it will always bother you, and this is supposed to be a great uke that makes you happy... not one that has a bad feeling about a flaw. They might offer a discount on it, and give a partial refund. How does it sound? If you absolutely love the sound, you might prefer it over another uke with a perfect finish. If it were me, I would maybe tolerate a small flaw on the heel... but not on the front. Go with your gut feeling.

–Lori

I think if the problem is something that bothers you, and something that Kamaka agrees is an issue, then by all means return it.

Without pictures, it sounds like something that would not bother me personally. I got a $2k William King custom a couple of years ago that arrived with a swirl about the size of a quarter on the finish on the lower bout soundboard. It was actually pretty easy to see, but I got over it in about 3 seconds and never mentioned it to William. To this day it has never bothered me in the least. But I've developed a pretty high tolerance for blemishes on my stuff over the years, not just ukuleles. I just figured that it's almost impossible to keep my stuff pristine anyway.

I think it is hard to find a perfect uke, made of natural materials and finished by hand.
I have a Kamaka soprano that too has an extremely small dust bit between the coat of gloss, like yours, but on the front. I bought mine used and saw it when I got it. It was no big thing for me. I liked enough to not be bothered by it. In fact I hadn't even thought about it until this thread.

But if I had paid retail for a brand spanky new one, I'd call about it. BTW I find it works best to email photos of defects/damage.
Whatever you end up doing is the right decision.

What Lori said.

Edit: Just saw the pics of your uke. It's just gorgeous and you posted that it sounded great too . . . . Dlifficult decision.

Last edited:
FINISH FLAWS ARE VERY HARD TO PHOTOGRAPH, ESPECIALLY IN GLOSS FINISHES. I HAVE BEEN TRYING ALL MORNING. I too received an instrument from an online source and understand your disappointment. Mine came with a loose brace and has one glaring finish flaw, to me that is, that is impossible to photograph. To be fair , it is 'only' a $250 uke, and the brace could have popped loose in shipping. but still, it took the glow off the honeymoon.

I'm trying to photograph it. It is subtle and the gloss finish combined with light and a cheap camera make it difficult. I'll try a macro setting.

Top Bottom