PDA

View Full Version : Lanikai S-T Low G query.

padre.will
03-11-2011, 10:17 AM
As an impulse purchase, I ended up with a Lanikai S-T tenor this afternoon to add to my Flea and Brüko sopranos. First symptoms of UAS emerging. Seems quite a good instrument for the price.

I thought about playing with a low G. However I've noticed that the slots in the nut (v shaped) are at a depth apparently designed for the size of each string, and therefore the G slot is relatively shallow as compared to the C and E especially. Clearly not designed for a low G.

Have any S-T owners tried this uke with a low G? can you comment on whether that shallow slot makes much of a difference to the action? I'd really like to give it a go, but if I had to adjust or file the nut, I wouldn't feel confident doing that, so, on balance, if that were the case, I'm happy enough with high G. it sounds pretty good on this uke.

I'm a real newbie, so I'd be grateful for the wisdom of others.

SweetWaterBlue
03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
I've got a low G on my Lanikai ST. It had a high G when I bought it new (floor model), but I put a low G Aquila on it soon after I got it. I don't recall having to make any adjustments and it plays fine with no buzzing or intonation problems. You may have to file out the slot a bit to make it wider, since the wound G I put on is wider than the high G was. I recall having to do that on my Kala tenor when I put the low G on it. I just used a metal nail file on the Kala. If you do find that the slot is too low for the string, its a simple matter to just build it up a bit with some super glue and baking soda (there are several threads on that). As an alternative, which I find works just about as well, just put a small piece of paper in the bottom of the slot to build it up temporarily. I say temporarily, but I never seem to find any reason not to just make the paper permanent.

padre.will
03-12-2011, 03:43 AM
ok. many thanks. :) l guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens.