solid mahogany used concert - Mele Braddah or Mainland

Huna

Reaction score
I am curious which ukulele would sound nicer, a Mele Braddah solid mahogany or a Mainland? I can't play them as they are online.

what shape is the braddah in? I owned two braddah Meles. I loved both of them. I'm one of the only ones not completely in love with the mainland mahogany. Now red cedar, that is a different story:)

I'd still go with Mele.

I have played three mele and owned one. They seem terrible honestly. Just looks, no substance. Too bad, the seem like a good deal but nothing interesting coming from the soundhole to me. Love my three mainlands!

Funny to get two polar opposite opinions isn't it? Just my opinion but I was not mistaken in the mele's, the ones I played were boring.

My Mele koa tenor sounds decent, but I need to try more strings. A guy at my last "meetup" played a Mele concert that sounded great.

I don't mean to be so negative about mele, I was so excited to get mine and I felt like it was so much less than I expected. No biggie but I wouldn't get another. Sounds like there are good one apparently out there?

well one thing I noticed reading the reviews is the Mele is apparently 'light'. I have a Hamano Soprano which is also very light. Sometimes I like the sound of it and sometimes I find its not that hot but depends on what I am listening for. (its almost like it changes its sound each time I play it which is probably my imagination) I heard the Mele on youtube and it sounded sorta like the sound of the Hamano. That is a sort of a Martin sound I suppose (not sure). So anyway I bought the Mele for 120 off ebay and hope it sounds good. It looks sorta oldish as it has the friction tuners on it, and it has none of the fancy purflings but looks like it has ebony fretboard, bridge and binding which is not that common on lower priced instruments. If it sounds like the mele concert I heard on youtube I will probably like it. The used mainland was quite a bit more on here but probably also in better shape. The mainland used was basically almost as expensive as buying one brand new so ... makes no sense to buy it--if I buy a new one then I can go back to mainland if there are issues... so for 120 for the mele... hope it sounds nice.

Top Bottom