PDA

View Full Version : In another world!

Tack
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
SO I am sitting hear, alternating between listening to Jake Shimabukuro's albums (LIVE at the moment) and watching James Hill on you tube (most recently playing Billy Jean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u778gSi94N4&feature=player_detailpage)......)

These guys live (and play) in a different world - I don't know whether to be inspired or depressed! The PURE tones, rhythm, percussive sounds, emotion, accuracy....... agh I could go on (and frequently do...)

Hippie Dribble
03-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Personally, aside from 'Blue Roses Falling' (which is maybe the prettiest thing I ever heard on uke), I'm not really into the style of music Jake Shimabukuro plays. The guy is a genius though, of course. I enjoy listening to and watching James Hill much more, maybe because he tends to play in a style I like to listen to more. I know what you mean though about being torn between being inspired or depressed! I think I feel deflated watching Jake (too much of a reality check :o) and inspired watching James Hill.

itsme
03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Personally, aside from 'Blue Roses Falling' (which is maybe the prettiest thing I ever heard on uke), I'm not really into the style of music Jake Shimabukuro plays. The guy is a genius though, of course. I enjoy listening to and watching James Hill much more, maybe because he tends to play in a style I like to listen to more.
I've been listening to my new copy of Jake's "Peace, Love, Ukulele" in the car and so far (think I'm up to track 9) I have to admit that much of it is in a jazzy muzak style that's not really me. I do like his solo stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody, but the drums and violins and such just don't move me.

I'll have to check out James Hill more. :)

PhilUSAFRet
03-12-2011, 05:21 AM
I think Jake is fabulous, but If I were to sit, relax, and listen to uke music, it would probably be James Hill and Ohtasan.

mailman
03-12-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm just not a real big fan of uke instrumentals, I guess. I have several of Jake's CDs loaded into the "Uke Tunes" playlist on my iPod, and I invariably skip over his songs when they come up on "shuffle" play. I certainly admire his talent and vituosity, but I prefer the uke as an accompaniment to singing. What's odd is I still love going to watch him play live. Jake is a wonderful guy and a monumental talent, but his music is just not my style....