In another world!

Tack

Reaction score
SO I am sitting hear, alternating between listening to Jake Shimabukuro's albums (LIVE at the moment) and watching James Hill on you tube (most recently playing Billy Jean......)

These guys live (and play) in a different world - I don't know whether to be inspired or depressed! The PURE tones, rhythm, percussive sounds, emotion, accuracy....... agh I could go on (and frequently do...)

Personally, aside from 'Blue Roses Falling' (which is maybe the prettiest thing I ever heard on uke), I'm not really into the style of music Jake Shimabukuro plays. The guy is a genius though, of course. I enjoy listening to and watching James Hill much more, maybe because he tends to play in a style I like to listen to more. I know what you mean though about being torn between being inspired or depressed! I think I feel deflated watching Jake (too much of a reality check :eek:) and inspired watching James Hill.

Personally, aside from 'Blue Roses Falling' (which is maybe the prettiest thing I ever heard on uke), I'm not really into the style of music Jake Shimabukuro plays. The guy is a genius though, of course. I enjoy listening to and watching James Hill much more, maybe because he tends to play in a style I like to listen to more.
I've been listening to my new copy of Jake's "Peace, Love, Ukulele" in the car and so far (think I'm up to track 9) I have to admit that much of it is in a jazzy muzak style that's not really me. I do like his solo stuff like Bohemian Rhapsody, but the drums and violins and such just don't move me.

I'll have to check out James Hill more. :)

I think Jake is fabulous, but If I were to sit, relax, and listen to uke music, it would probably be James Hill and Ohtasan.

I'm just not a real big fan of uke instrumentals, I guess. I have several of Jake's CDs loaded into the "Uke Tunes" playlist on my iPod, and I invariably skip over his songs when they come up on "shuffle" play. I certainly admire his talent and vituosity, but I prefer the uke as an accompaniment to singing. What's odd is I still love going to watch him play live. Jake is a wonderful guy and a monumental talent, but his music is just not my style....

Top Bottom