Changed strings to Martin M600's.

GKK

Reaction score
I replaced the stock Ko'olau Gold strings to the Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings on my Pono mahogany concert and what a difference!

The Martins sound very Bright and kind of metallic similar to a guitar but, in a good way. The Martins sound even brighter and louder on my Pono Concert than the Aquila's on my Kala Soprano! I also, like the thinner Martin strings (very comfortable), compared to the thicker Ko'olau Golds and the Aquila's.

I'm going to order a set of Worth Clears to try also, which should sound a little warmer than the Martins which would be perfect.

I know strings have been discussed a lot lately but, this is my review from my Pono mahogany concert.

Last edited:
+1 on the Martins on my Ohana soprano. I haven't tried them on my other ukes yet. One advantage of the Martins over many other strings is that you can usually get them at the big box stores when you are in a hurry.

I just got back in town from a business trip and haven't even got my ukes out yet but wanted to add that I also just changed strings on a KPK Soprano from Aquilas to Martin and I really like them. I too like the thinner strings. I may add that I switched my older model Bushman from Aquilas to Worth Clears and loved them and then changed them to Worth Browns and the jury is still out but although I love the look of the brown I think the clears were a mellower nicer sound.

Thanks for the review of Martin strings..............helpful.

The M600s are quite a bit heavier gage than Worth fluorcarbon strings. The string-to-string balance is also better on the M600s. I love them on some ukes but some ukes don't seem to like the higher tension needed (though they'd be a great choice if you were wanting to experiment with a low tuning like Bb or A). As an example, the M600s work great for CFAD tuning on my pocket uke but I have to go to lighter gage (my homebrew strings simlar to Worths) to tune it up to DGBE.

Also, because the M600s are heavier gage and therefore require more tension to tune up to pitch I wouldn't recommend them for those who are just starting out because they are going to be noticeably harder on noobies tender fingers. If you've reached the point in your "career" where your fingers have toughened up then by all means give the M600s a shot because on some ukes they are really nice.

Love Martin Strings! I have them on my:

Gibson 1
Martin O
Ohana SK 35
Kiwaya KTS4

Anybody ever tried them on a Kamaka?

Last edited:
Well to me it seems all the martins are pretty much the same thickness so like on a Soprano, they are NOT high tension. But I also have them (soprano and concert are the same strings in Martin) on a concert and there they are a little tighter and I have them on a tenor and on a tenor necked soprano and they are very tight on those two instruments. So no problem on a Soprano as far as tension goes.

I have them on my Kanile'a soprano and love them. Too bad Martin doesn't make an unwound low G....

I got a couple of sets a week or so ago and first tried them on a laminate pineapple that came with GHS strings. I didn't notice much difference in the sound but they did feel better, I want to try them on a couple of my solid ukes soon and on the Vita I got a while back. I sure like the price, the guitar shop up the street from me has them for $3.99 a set.

I have them on my two martin sopranos...and they sing....

Ditto. Both of my vintage Martins have them, and the ukes and I all love them! I thought about putting them on my Kiwaya, but decided to go with Worth CMs since I'd never tried them before. As someone else said, Martins are nice because they're pretty easy to come by compared to other strings (although I still have to drive about 60 miles to find them!).

I got a couple of sets a week or so ago and first tried them on a laminate pineapple that came with GHS strings. I didn't notice much difference in the sound but they did feel better, I want to try them on a couple of my solid ukes soon and on the Vita I got a while back. I sure like the price, the guitar shop up the street from me has them for $3.99 a set.
Swapped out the Martins for Aquilas on the OU2-P, and put the Martins on the Vita...WOW! Vast improvement in both ukes! I'm really liking the Martins now.

Top Bottom