Zoom Q3 or Kodak Zi8 with zoom mic or.....

cb56

Reaction score
I'm looking to get into video the next few months and would like to keep it simple and $200 or less. I have office movie maker already on my computer for editing. I have very little knowledge or experience at this.
I want to be able to record videos of my playing and various uke groups jamming. I also would like to be able to join in on online jam sessions. I see the kodak has a built in USB connection so I'm not sure if that would keep me from videoing myself while online during online jam sessions.Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm looking to get into video the next few months and would like to keep it simple and $200 or less. I have office movie maker already on my computer for editing. I have very little knowledge or experience at this.
I want to be able to record videos of my playing and various uke groups jamming. I also would like to be able to join in on online jam sessions. I see the kodak has a built in USB connection so I'm not sure if that would keep me from videoing myself while online during online jam sessions.Thanks in advance for your help.

Be careful that you buy something that has a file format that Movie Maker accepts. The old Q3 did not work with Movie Maker without converting the file to another one, and that was not easy without losing definition. I am not sure about the new HD version. I suspect that the Kodak has the same problem.

The new Flip Ultra HD can be used with Movie Maker. I use it all the time. But the audio is useless. You would need something like a Zoom H1 to record the audio. The two together would cost more than $200 though.

Do check out file formats. On a Mac the Zoom Q3 works perfectly.

Another option is to buy a Zoom H2 and just use a good quality compact camera set to video.

Thanks for that input. Not tied to the movie maker program, just stating that I have it. If the editing program with the Q3 is ok I'd go that route. Don't need the best out there, just something useable and affordable.

I have the Kodak Zi8 and I think it's a fine machine. I found it for $98 new on Amazon, but that may have been a fluke. I don't know that the audio is up to snuff, but at that price, you could pick up the Zoom H1 and be under your $200 ceiling.

I have the Kodak Zi8 and I think it's a fine machine. I found it for $98 new on Amazon, but that may have been a fluke. I don't know that the audio is up to snuff, but at that price, you could pick up the Zoom H1 and be under your $200 ceiling.
Are you able to edit your videos (how) with the kodak and do you find it a problem to use (carry) 2 devices to get the final product as opposed to the one device with the Q3? I understand that you are getting better video quality with the kodak.

I have an H2, but I don't really use it. I set up Rode NT1-A -> Focusrite Sapphire 24 Pro DSP -> MacBook -> Logic. From there I mix down and import into iMovie. So that's a whole complex chain of extra stuff to carry around and setup, but for me it's important––I wouldn't want someone to mistakenly get the impression that our ukes sound crappy because I got lazy and recorded straight to my cell phone or point & shoot.

Be careful that you buy something that has a file format that Movie Maker accepts. The old Q3 did not work with Movie Maker without converting the file to another one, and that was not easy without losing definition. I am not sure about the new HD version. I suspect that the Kodak has the same problem.

The new Flip Ultra HD can be used with Movie Maker. I use it all the time. But the audio is useless. You would need something like a Zoom H1 to record the audio. The two together would cost more than $200 though.

Do check out file formats. On a Mac the Zoom Q3 works perfectly.

Another option is to buy a Zoom H2 and just use a good quality compact camera set to video.

You can get an Ultra HD on sale for about $150 or so and add this microphone:

http://www.bluemic.com/mikeyforflip/

I have the Zi8 with a Zoom H2. My problem is placement, do you put the mic nearer your head for singing? It seems to be picking up more clunks from strumming than the actual sound of the uke.

I have the Zi8 with a Zoom H2. My problem is placement, do you put the mic nearer your head for singing? It seems to be picking up more clunks from strumming than the actual sound of the uke.

I use a Logitech 9000 webcam and the H4 to record my videos. If i am singing, I generally do try to put the mic at mouth level, or just below to balance the volume of my voice and the uke. If I am just playing an instrumental I will put the mic at uke level, but you sometimes have to fiddle with the mic sensitivity button on the H4 to get it not to pick up too much noise.

In order to get the mic at head level, you need to buy or build some sort of mic stand. I built one similar to this one from an old desk lamp that has those arms that let you position it where you want. I just tape the mic to the top arm with masking tape, after removing all the lamp parts. I also sometimes use a no-name cardiod mic that I plug into the H4 XLR inputs when I want to plug my tenor with the pickup into it. The cardiod mic is also easy to attach to the stand. Being able to move the mic where you want it on a boom or articulated arm really helps.

534686.jpg

Last edited:

Use the stereo mic setting, but turn the H2 on its side, so one mic points at your head and one at your uke. Probably easiest to use the conical mic-clip adapter thing that came with it to achieve this. Then you can adjust the stereo channels for the best blend.

Top Bottom