Beginner - left hand problems

Marklele

Reaction score
I have been playing for a couple of months, and coming on, slowly.
I have come upon a problem that I am struggling with.
When changing chords where all fingers have to change position so there is no anchor finger (e.g. D minor to E minor), how do I hold the neck still, when my thumb is pressing firmly on the back of the neck?
What tends to happen is that my thumb slips round, so that the neck is held in the crook of my thumb & index finger. That holds the neck firm, but my hand is in the wrong position to make clean chords.
Any suggestions or help, very gratefully received

Thanks!

I use my ring finger on the C string of the DM chord and slide it lightly to the forth fret, then reposition my index and middle fingers...I hope it helps...Happy Strummings..MM Stan
I do not use my thumb and just cradle it between my thumb and index finger and open palm..

Last edited:
I rest the neck of the uke at the base of my pointer finger when changing chords like that. Almost like thumbing the top string which helps me keep the neck stable. My guess is that your left hand is too tense and you're pressing too hard with your thumb which happens when you're first starting out with any stringed instrument really. Once your get more comfortable with your fingering and pressure you can produce the same sound without pressing as hard which will help with your chord transitions.

I find that I just let the neck rest in the web between the index finger and the thumb. I guess that I rarely press the thumb against the back of the neck - I think I do for the E7, but even with Barre chords, my thumb is usually just up against the back of the neck.

Maybe its a leftover from playing guitar?

-Kurt

I agree totally with zipykido - as a beginner, one of the most common bad habits is that you tend to grip and squeeze the neck too hard - this would account for your problem.

Dont worry - its perfectly normal, and it will get better.

Try to concentrate on a light touch - you really just want the uke neck lightly resting in the crook of your thumb/palm

That's exactly my problem! I end up having a sore thumb joint after practicing. :) Gonna have to remember to loosen up!

just relax - it'll happen - perfectly natural

(a looser touch will also make chord changes quicker and cleaner too)

How do you keep your left thumb from slowly creeping out and over the top when you're not looking? I've only been playing about 3 weeks. The first uke was a wood Kala Makala soprano that someone (hubby) changed to Aquila (sp?) strings which helped but between the sore fingers & thumb and my right forearm gripping the body and the fact I'm a complete novice, it's been uncomfortable. A few days ago my Leolani pineapple soprano came and what a difference!. The strings don't even hurt! It's a gloss finish and I've noticed the left thumb coming back out and curling over the top. Got Lori's uke leash today and I'm hoping that will help the tight grip I seem to have. I've almost got down the 1st Practice sheet from Boot Camp and the cords are starting to sound like something a "real" player might play. Thanks for all the help from this group.

I have been playing for a couple of months, and coming on, slowly.
I have come upon a problem that I am struggling with.
When changing chords where all fingers have to change position so there is no anchor finger (e.g. D minor to E minor), how do I hold the neck still, when my thumb is pressing firmly on the back of the neck?
What tends to happen is that my thumb slips round, so that the neck is held in the crook of my thumb & index finger. That holds the neck firm, but my hand is in the wrong position to make clean chords.
Any suggestions or help, very gratefully received

Thanks!

"Grandmaster Kim, how do I get good at -insert taekwondo move here- ?" grandmaster Kim - "Oh, do 1000 time." (actual quote btw.)

These things take practice. Chord switches on their own take some time, keeping the uke in one place can take longer ;) if you are having problems with it being pushed forward by your thumb, you might be pressing too hard with it. Try and let it just rest there, don't squeeze it like you're choking it to death, cuz when you let go with your fingers that little uke neck is gonna go flying, pushed off by your thumb there! Just keep playing, find whats comfortable for you and roll with it!

Phil

Why are so many Ukeplayers ashamed of using a strap? If you have problems holding the Uke firmly and shifting chords at the same time, just use a strap and concentrate on playing proper chords instead of fixing the uke. Once you get the hack of chord changes, you can than try playing without a strap. just my 2 cents ;-)

Well,this gal's not ashamed to use a strap. I was having a lot of trouble gripping too hard because of uke slip. I put a strap on it, and although not a perfect solve, it is much improved! I still grip pretty hard when I have to make bar chords and other 4 finger chords, though, but I notice not as tight as I used to.

Top Bottom