How do you get people to view your videos/music?.

Jokes on Sardar

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long time reader, first time poster here. I've been playing the uke for a little while now, and I've decided to start posting some videos on youtube and my website (http://jaredmecham.com) so people can hear what I have to offer.

My question is, how do you get people to view your content? Do you guys do anything special to attract an audience?

Today, I posted a poll on my website asking which song I should record a video of first. I ask, as a big fan of the site, for you guys to go to http://jaredmecham.com check out the poll and pick a song that you guys think I should record first. Or make a suggestion as to what song you guys would like to hear me play first.

(note: if you go to the site, don't pay too much attention to the picture with the guitar, I don't have a good pic of me with a Ukulele =). )

Thanks!

Mecham.

.Good Evening Scraps

The best way is to make great videos. That said, I have seen some really talented people's videos not get more than a few hundred views at best, and sometimes not more than a few. Some people build up reputations by consistently making good stuff.

Posting a link here to each new video is usually good for 2-50 views, and more if you are already popular.

What makes one go viral - wish I knew. The viewing and listening audience is very fickle.

The best way is to make great videos. That said, I have seen some really talented people's videos not get more than a few hundred views at best, and sometimes not more than a few. Some people build up reputations by consistently making good stuff.

Posting a link here to each new video is usually good for 2-50 views, and more if you are already popular.

What makes one go viral - wish I knew. The viewing and listening audience is very fickle.

:agree: If I knew how to get people to make a video go viral (in a good way) I'd tell you, I don't want mine too because I'm very critical of how good I am (which is not very!) Make good videos, forward them to friends, facebook them, tweet them, get an Uke following on Twitter/Facebook and hopefully people will pass them round...

One thing you can do is provide a link (maybe in your signature?) to your YouTube channel. People here are supportive, but they're also busy, and many won't have the time to search on YouTube for your channel, and it'll be almost impossible to find if your YouTube username is different from your UU username. Also, posting a link to videos, as SweetWaterBlue suggested, is a good idea, but embedding the video in your post (using the icon that looks like film) so it can be watched right in the thread you post it in is even better. Good luck!

joeybug - if you can make one go viral, don't worry about how good you are. It means the audience has voted and they like it. I hate to keep picking on Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan, but neither one has what I would call a great voice, yet most of us love their work - go figure.

One problem with embedding a link to your video here (or on Facebook), is that I don't think you get credit for the views on YouTube then. People watch it here, and the counter doesn't seem to move on YouTube. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that. It also makes it more difficult for people from here to leave comments on YT, because there are a couple of extra clicks to get to YT's comment page. I have pretty much accepted that I will never be the next big star (oh the humiliation of that!) so I have stopped worrying too much about getting a gazillion listens and comments on YT.

Last edited:
joeybug - if you can make one go viral, don't worry about how good you are. It means the audience has voted and they like it. I hate to keep picking on Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan, but neither one has what I would call a great voice, yet most of us love their work - go figure.

One problem with embedding a link to your video here, is that I don't think you get credit for the views on YouTube then. People watch it here, and the counter doesn't seem to move on YouTube. Someone correct me if I am wrong about that.

I'm pretty sure the views count on YouTube, otherwise I have a heap of followers who I don't know ;)

I don't want my videos to go viral in a bad way, as in I don't want everyone around the world to be like "Look at this chick, she can't play for s*** and nor can she sing and she's posting public videos!" Y'know what I mean?

All the songs you listed will probably get viewed a good bit. On the downside, though, they make up a pretty comprehensive list of the most overdone songs for uke. As Haole John once told me, "you can learn I'm Yours, but don't ever make a video, or you'll get royally flamed by the ukesters". At uke jams, people don't even want to touch it.

Good luck!

I don't want my videos to go viral in a bad way, as in I don't want everyone around the world to be like "Look at this chick, she can't play for s*** and nor can she sing and she's posting public videos!" Y'know what I mean?

Tiny Tim made a ton of money that way, although he could actually play well, and his regualar voice was ok.

All the songs you listed will probably get viewed a good bit. On the downside, though, they make up a pretty comprehensive list of the most overdone songs for uke. As Haole John once told me, "you can learn I'm Yours, but don't ever make a video, or you'll get royally flamed by the ukesters". At uke jams, people don't even want to touch it.

Good luck!

agree with the captain here. I wouldn't play any of the ones you listed because they've been done and done and done again. hard to make your own space if you're gonna go in that direction.

Oh, you mean like these poor guys...

Actually, I keep a link to that video in my shortcuts because I find it extremely uplifting - I've no voice and little skill on the uke, but on my worst day I haven't been that bad!

:biglaugh:

One thing you can do is provide a link (maybe in your signature?) to your YouTube channel. .......................... but embedding the video in your post (using the icon that looks like film) so it can be watched right in the thread you post it in is even better. !

..... like this.....

that was shameless.. but i couldnt resist.. im sorry .... :)

You Tube is a mighty fickle place. I've seen folks with tons of talent both instrumentally and vocally, who are making decent livings full time as performers, who get relatively few views on their vids and I've seen people of very mediocre talent develop huge followings of devoted fans. I think it's a personality thing more than based on talent.

I'll avoid naming any names to spare feelings and avoid sparking a controversy but I could cite two ukulele-playing young ladies of about the same age, both attractive, one has been performing professionally since she was a child and has phenomenal talent, skill, and stage presence and the other has very mediocre uke skills and an indifferent voice that is sometimes off key. The first gal's videos are lucky to draw a few thousand views while if the second girl posts a video of herself sneezing it will probably go viral.

Of course, I sometimes see the second girl's videos in the "featured video" slot on YouTube, so maybe she's buying her day of fame, I don't know.

If you're really just interested in promoting yourself then I suppose you could hire a promotional company to push up the views of your videos and sign up a bunch of "fans" to your channel - I kind of suspect that's what's happening with the second girl mentioned above. I don't know for a fact if such companies exist but I'd be very surprised if they don't. In fact, if there aren't already companies doing that let me know, I have the skills to handle the technical end - if we can find a lowlife with the stomach for running the front end we can make millions! LOL

John

You Tube is a mighty fickle place. I've seen folks with tons of talent both instrumentally and vocally, who are making decent livings full time as performers, who get relatively few views on their vids and I've seen people of very mediocre talent develop huge followings of devoted fans. I think it's a personality thing more than based on talent.

I'll avoid naming any names to spare feelings and avoid sparking a controversy but I could cite two ukulele-playing young ladies of about the same age, both attractive, one has been performing professionally since she was a child and has phenomenal talent, skill, and stage presence and the other has very mediocre uke skills and an indifferent voice that is sometimes off key. The first gal's videos are lucky to draw a few thousand views while if the second girl posts a video of herself sneezing it will probably go viral.

Of course, I sometimes see the second girl's videos in the "featured video" slot on YouTube, so maybe she's buying her day of fame, I don't know.

If you're really just interested in promoting yourself then I suppose you could hire a promotional company to push up the views of your videos and sign up a bunch of "fans" to your channel - I kind of suspect that's what's happening with the second girl mentioned above. I don't know for a fact if such companies exist but I'd be very surprised if they don't. In fact, if there aren't already companies doing that let me know, I have the skills to handle the technical end - if we can find a lowlife with the stomach for running the front end we can make millions! LOL

John

:rofl::biglaugh: lovely John. Gloriously cynical and realistic. keep blowin' brother. Lovin that fresh air.

Oh, you mean like these poor guys...

Actually, I keep a link to that video in my shortcuts because I find it extremely uplifting - I've no voice and little skill on the uke, but on my worst day I haven't been that bad!

:biglaugh:

Thanks for sharing that! I like to think I'm better than that...but like I said, overly critcal of myself! Though my first Uke video could be that bad, but it's not public and I only view it to remind myself of how far I've come!

Top Bottom