Jet 10-20 arrived

Sven

Reaction score
Christ. On a. Bike!!

What a difference, what a machine. It has a conveyor belt. It is silent. It is fast. It's all I ever longed for. I sanded sides and plates for a mahogany soprano in five minutes.

It cost me 600 € including freight and taxes, shipped from England. I've spent almost half that amount trying to build my own, and those did not have conveyor belts. I can recommend this machine.

Oh joy.

(Only thing is, I should have changed to 120 from 80. But that was not the machines fault. I got eager.)

Sven

Sven,

Please buy a bloody big bandsaw and move to Hebden Bridge

;)

Sven! 80 grit is ok ...some do thicknessing at 36 grit ????...
I recomend you do the 120 grit on the last few thou by hand it's not hard work...To be honest "I've been considering buying one of those myself":D....But! what about my "Street Cred":)

They should really call this machine the "Ukey Maker" or something. It is just ideal for ukulele building. I know guys who have had larger units and gotten rid of them for the 10-20.

I gave this machine a bad rap a while back. If you happen to get one that won't track, I know what the problem is... the base on some of them came out skewed. I had two different maintenance type fix it guys look at it and couldn't figure out what it was, then Ken W took one look at it and said grab a square, sure enough the dadgum base was skewed. Take a heavy duty bar clamp and unskew it. The tech people will deny you have a problem and keep sending you conveyer belts...
They are wonderful machines when they're tweaked right. I was doing the 80 grit and then hand sanding with 100-120 grits for a while but now I just change from 80 to 120 on the 10-20, that's when I break out the binding that needs to be taken down to .060. It sure makes building easier.

I've had one of these for a few years now and had tracking issues. I seem to have it so it won't destroy a conveyor belt now, but I can't get the belt to track in the middle where I'd like it.

What part of the base is skewed Vic? A picture is worth a thousand words if you could.

Congrats on your new toy. I know there are other ways to do it, but I'd be lost without one.

Christ~on~a~bike.jpg

Once you have learned the trick of changing the belt you are home and dry. I use 36 and 120. I foolishly bought a reel of 180 which is being used more on my bobbin sander. Great machine - you'd love it Ken. Now I have found a master sawyer here in the UK producing accurate 3mm veneers for me and with this machine I have cut the time timber preparation by over a half...

I have a Delata X5 with an 18-inch bed. When using a drum sander, be sure to keep the dust collection running. The dust is very fine and will fill the air in a hurry. They had a demo on the Jet at Rockler yesterday. Nice machine. Be patient, make small passes, feed at an angle.

I'm sure you already know the trick of using double sided tape to get very thin pieces. My drive belt is so big that when I get under 1/8 thick, the belt starts to draw up against the drum. There is good tension on the belt, but the vacuum combined with vortex created by the spinning drum really pull.

Best thing about mine is it has two pressure rolls, before and after the drum. They keep the wood pressed down. I didn't know it would have those.

Christ. On a. Bike!!

What a difference, what a machine. It has a conveyor belt. It is silent. It is fast. It's all I ever longed for. I sanded sides and plates for a mahogany soprano in five minutes.

It cost me 600 € including freight and taxes, shipped from England. I've spent almost half that amount trying to build my own, and those did not have conveyor belts. I can recommend this machine.

Oh joy.

(Only thing is, I should have changed to 120 from 80. But that was not the machines fault. I got eager.)

Sven

Can you run the drum without running the conveyor belt on that unit?

Hey! Mine just arrived today! I haven't used it yet because I need to get some kind of dust collection system added to it. I was a little leary in purchasing one because of the so called tracking problems. I'm glad to get some good feedback from you all! I can't wait to try it out!

Last edited:
Can you run the drum without running the conveyor belt on that unit?

Can't even imagine why you'd want to. I can run mine with the top open, but that's a lot of rotational energy and a ton of dust. Too may ways to get caught up and spun around.

I have had mine about a year. have made everything from soprano ukes to 000 size guitars. I get less than .002 taper on 9" wide pieces. Had a little trouble when I first got it, tell I got the conveyor belt adjusted but since then it has worked flawlessly. Yes you can turn the drum on with out the conveyor 2 different motors. I have sanded down to .040 for binding pieces, without tape.

If you are talking about the drive belt, then you will need to tweak the tension on it. There are adjusters on the outfeed side of the drive belt that you can tighten up. 1/8 turn on each side to start with. See how it goes.

Top Bottom