Deciding Between Two

The cheaper mahogony one is the better value IMHO. And it will do the same job. The difference in sound between the two from having the koa instead of mahogony will probably be minimal. Im under the impression that the koa in the upgraded model is mostly just for look.

I would say to save the $100 and get yourself a handsome amp. :)

i agree with jon on this one. the sides on these ukes aren't solid wood so the laminate construction of it won't make too much of a difference.

as some of you mentioned the laminate construction doesnt make for a huge difference in the two models..however THE FINISH DOES...the mahogany which is fine in itself as many own a st is ggod but it is finished gloss. The Koa has a light sation matte finsih and top the has much more freeedom and movement resulting in much better resonance and openness thatn the mahogany model.

They do sound different. I was strummin both at a local store, I am still not good enough to describe the difference and why you would want the difference but they don't sound the same.

The mahogany/spruce one sounds kind of like my all mahogany one but sharper (brighter).

Get which one you like the look of ???? and can afford cuz you will be getting others later!!!

as some of you mentioned the laminate construction doesnt make for a huge difference in the two models..however THE FINISH DOES...the mahogany which is fine in itself as many own a st is ggod but it is finished gloss. The Koa has a light sation matte finsih and top the has much more freeedom and movement resulting in much better resonance and openness thatn the mahogany model.

That explains it

Last edited:
whenmy typing gets this bad I need sleep....goodnight i just reread my post maybe i should learn to spellcheck and edit NAH1 too humbug lol

Ah, I had suspected that there was something else that accounted for that pretty big price difference. And I guess that's why it's great to live in Hawaii and be able to easily go into a music store loaded with ukes and try them before buying. :nana:

I have the mahogany Kala and it's bright, got good resonance and good projection. I really like the sound.

Since most of us hold a uke against our body, the back is pretty much dampened as a sound source. It's a reflector, not a resonator, so it doesn't matter as much as the top for the overall sound. And the sides help reflect the sound back inside, so a gloss finish is okay there, too.

I think the difference is in the higher cost of koa vs mahogany, rather than any inherent difference in the laminates.

I decided to go with the mahogany, made more sense price wise and like said on this thread I can now buy a nice Amp! Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom