Les Paul Inspired 6 String Ukulele

Ukulele Maker

Reaction score
DSC03926.jpg
DSC03923.jpg

Hi, I'm new to the UU but have know about it for some time. I am a member of the UGH and work here in Piedmont California. I have been building for over 5 years and have a small following of customers across the US. I know there are Les Pauls out there but this one is different so I am told. Here are a few pictures (can't seem to load the pictures, sorry) and the specs on a new ukulele just finished.
1) Carved/contoured Curly Maple Body, front, back, and sides featuring:
i) Double back/white body purflings and black body binding
ii) Transparent red wine “Sunburst” paint on front, transparent solid red wine paint on back and sides.
iii) 2 faux ebony pickups with rings
iv) 3 ply B/W/B pick guard
2) Curly Maple Headstock featuring:
i) Black/white, black white, black purflings on headstock
ii) Inlaid gold mother of pearl headstock “Les Paul” styled logo
iii) Gotoh vintage gold keystone style tuners
3) Curly Maple neck featuring:
i) Indian Rosewood fret radius fret board with “slot-less nut”
ii) Inlaid Gold Mother of Pearl “Les Paul” markers
4) 6 string arrangement of high “G”, wound low “G”, high “C”, low “C”, middle “E”, and middle ”A” featuring:
i) Aquilla Strings
5) Custom made “6” piezo under saddle pickup to match string configuration.
6) Parametric Equalizer featuring:
i) Balance, Volume, Bass & Treble potentiometers
ii) concentric potentiometer board which controls the Mid-Range & Frequency Shift
iii) Super-efficient, 9 volt battery life is approximately 2000 hours.
iv) Technical Specifications :
v) Bass : +/-12 dB at 100 Hz
vi) Middle : +/-12 dB at 400 Hz ~ 2 kHz
vii) Treble : +/-12 dB at 4 kHz
viii) Balance : MN500K Potentiometer
ix) Current : 0.32 mA Voltage range : 6 V ~ 22 V Battery : 9-18V Alkaline
x) Matching gold knobs
xi) Mini on/off toggle switch
xii) ¼ inch output jack
7) Custom Case featuring:
i) Luan mahogany laminate body panels with milled pine edges
ii) Brass corner guards on all corners
iii) 3 Brass case clasp closures
iv) Lined and fitted interior with storage compartment
v) 2 watt battery operated amplifier with volume control and gain control potentiometer
vi) 2” speaker by Tang Band
vii) 9 volt battery operated

Last edited:
Lovely work, and something I've never seen before. Good idea to have a little amp built into the case as well.

I know just about nothing concerning electrics. You say you have a piezio pickup under the saddle. Are the other pickups just "faux" ones to complete the look?

guessing so as its strung with aquilas.

That looks awesome, but I know some builders would caution showing off a copy of a trademarked design.

Trade mark is not a copy. It is actually reversed and very slightly changed. I gave that some thought before I did it. Thanks for the comment.

ukulele maker

The pick-ups are faux, made of ebony. The electronics are really good. It sounds fantastic. The amp is an old idea resurrected. The amp-in-case is a throw back to the Dan Electro/Silvertone guitar sold by Sears in the '60s. Thanks for your comment

ukulele maker

Beautiful guitar... I mean uke! :)

I love the all in one package. What did you use for the bridge and tailpiece? It looks like a tune-o-magic from the top but I haven't been able to find four string (or six string) tune-o-matic in a uke size. What's your secret?

- Shaun

Question about your string set . . . the 6 string "Lili'u set Aquila offers has the 1st and 3rd course doubled. Did you use the 8 string set?

Top Bottom