FS: 1920s Martin Style 3 mahogany ukulele 3-M $1800

WestPhillyUke

Reaction score
FS: 1920s Martin Style 3 mahogany ukulele 3-M $1,500

Before I place this on eBay, I am offering it to UU members, priced to move.

This is a beautiful Style 3 mahogany Martin ukulele from the 1920s -- hard to pin down an exact year on these. If I had to guess, I would say 1920.

Photo 1

Photo 2

Photo 3

Photo 4

Photo 5

Photo 6

Photo 7

Photo 8

The uke plays wonderfully and sounds beautiful. It is all original right down to the wonderful Grover tuners and the original ivory nut and saddle.

The uke does have several cracks on the back which were very well-repaired, from the looks of it many years ago. The cracks were glued with what looks like hide glue and extremely thin quartersawn spruce patches were glued to the inside of the back. When I say thin, I mean gossamer thin. You can't even feel the edges of the patches. I would guess that this work was done either at the Martin factory or by a skilled violin maker. It's not a hack job by any means, and the sounds seems to have suffered not a whit. There is also a very small perfectly round hole on the back centered just below the neck joint. Maybe an old strap pin or tiny eye screw?

If you don't mind a few well-repaired cracks and a couple of small dents near the end block (all pictured) this is your chance to save about $1200 off what I would ask for the same instrument without the cracks.

It does not come with a case but will be very well packed, and double-boxed for shipping.

Thanks for looking,
John

Last edited:
Top Bottom