PDA

View Full Version : Pono MSD Deluxe Soprano

NotsoGoodyet
03-13-2011, 09:03 AM
I just visited the Ko'olau factory on Oahu.
It's in an industrial park - thank heaven for GPS!
The owner, John Kitakis was a wonderful host, showing us around the factory and finishing up at his showroom above the factory. The custom orders they were working on were un-freaking-believable. He took a lot of time and was patient with my rookie ukulele player questions.
I ended up leaving with a brand new Pono soprano mds deluxe solid mahogany with case.
I had no intention of buying anything when I got there, but this was a factory second
(a small finish smudge on the body right next to the fret board) and my wife insisted(!?) that I buy it.
The sound that comes from this little beauty is impressive. Crystal clear and the volume matches my flea with aquila strings.
The Ko'olau gold stirings are harder and brighter.
I couldn't be happier.

2 months ago I was thinking about picking up the ukulele. Now I have three and my lovely wife is okay with it. Sheesh, ain't life grand?

d-mace
03-13-2011, 10:04 AM
I tried one last weekend at a store with Collings, Kamakas and Martins and this Pono was one of my favorites. I was surprised at how much a liked the thick neck on it. I always thought I was a thin neck guy? It reminded me of Fender's U shaped necks.

Strom
03-13-2011, 11:01 AM
I looked it up on their site. Man, that's one nice Uke. I was looking forward to a "new uke day" myself but had some other things come up and had to put it off. Oh well, there's always tomorrow. Hope you enjoy!

Froy
03-13-2011, 11:24 AM
I second on that d-mace I don't understand i have such small hands and fingers but I feel comfy with the pono neck. I have a Pono Tenor MTD and I recently have a fishman AG pickup (passive) install and I'm really lovin it. I put it to test last night at our gig with a fishman loudbox no pre-amp and it was loud and clean sounding. It was able to keep up with a full band drums, guitars and bass at 50% volume. I highly recomend any of this brands PONO, FISHMAN AMP AND PICKUPS for the price of under $400