PDA

View Full Version : Rip-off's on the rise

hoosierhiver
03-14-2011, 07:03 AM
I used to feel like I could trust all ukulele players, but it seems with the rise of the uke's popularity in the mainstream more and more people are trying to pull one over on me. It's really disheartening that what has been such a pure thing is being soiled by the rank and file a**holes that think it's alright to screw your neighbor.

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Mandarb
03-14-2011, 07:10 AM

No problem. Hope you feel better now.

Ronnie Aloha
03-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Sorry to hear that Mike. I know what its like to be having a great day and all it takes is one small bad act to spoil the entire day.

cletus
03-14-2011, 07:23 AM
I'm sorry to hear about it, too. Downside of popularity...sucks.

Plainsong
03-14-2011, 07:31 AM
That sucks Mike. :( I know when my husband was doing Windows Mobile graphics and the like, 99.9% of his customers were awesome people to deal with and help. Then had that 1/10 of a percent that were immediately threatening internet lawsuits and swearing and other silly things, and you got the feeling they honestly felt this was the most effective way to deal with people.

It really makes you wonder about some people, mostly it's water off a duck's back but sometimes you just wonder what they're really like. We get that. :)

UKISOCIETY
03-14-2011, 07:33 AM
I used to feel like I could trust all ukulele players, but it seems with the rise of the uke's popularity in the mainstream more and more people are trying to pull one over on me. It's really disheartening that what has been such a pure thing is being soiled by the rank and file a**holes that think it's alright to screw your neighbor.

The uke's still pure. When people do stuff like that they besmirch themselves. Sorry to hear about it, Mike.

hmgberg
03-14-2011, 07:45 AM
At least you've maintained your professional integrity and so you are highly regarded in the community. Word travels fast. The a**holes will be found out in short order. A bad reputation, I would think, is hard to overcome.

larragon
03-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Don't worry, Karma has a way of getting these guys in the end.

mailman
03-14-2011, 07:56 AM
The world will always have it's share of a**holes, Mike. I, for one, am not going to let that fact ruin what I want to do in life. Keep being the positive force that you've always been in the uke community, and don't let the a**holes get you down....

03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
drop the names and put um on blast...vent with a purpose bruh.

Blisters_left
03-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Hey Mike,

that's soooo disgusting to hear...
As I'm fairly new to the uke world I'm still amazed for all the help, support, and the friendly manners of all the uke players I meet - but the more popular the uke becomes the more interesting is it for axxxholes to make their profit out of it.

But as somebody already said - everyone gets what he deserves in the end....

And all the good people will understand that you have to save yourself from being ripped off...

Sorry if I've got many mistakes in this post - but my english is far from being good and when I'm upset (like I am right now) it becomes even worse.....:-(
Hope, I could express what I wanted to, though...

B_L

ItsMrPitchy
03-14-2011, 08:40 AM
With increasing popularity there will start to become more and more people like this. But they will always be a small percent and the rest of the community will stay positive and helpful like they are now.

hoosierhiver
03-14-2011, 08:49 AM
Thanks for all the support guys, that's the uke community that I know!

zac987
03-14-2011, 09:04 AM
You're not talking about me and the banjo uke, are you? I tried everything I could think of to make it sound good! :(

hoosierhiver
03-14-2011, 09:09 AM
You're not talking about me and the banjo uke, are you? I tried everything I could think of to make it sound good! :(

No! Not at all. This person (who is a member here) intentionally deceived me.

zac987
03-14-2011, 09:26 AM
Oh okay, I was worried for a second lol. That guy sucks!

mds725
03-14-2011, 09:33 AM
It's always discouraging to discover that people who ought to be likeable, at least concerning a shared passion, are nasty and shady. I had a similar experience with a friend whose idea of thanking me for providing a short-term loan for her business was to stiff me. I was mad that this person basically picked my pocket but I think I was even angrier that she made it difficult for me to trust anyone else for a long time. It's like she also stole the part of me that wanted to see the best in people. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with someone you thought you could trust. Please don't let that person steal from you who you are.

hoosierhiver
03-14-2011, 09:38 AM
It's always discouraging to discover that people who ought to be likeable, at least concerning a shared passion, are nasty and shady. I had a similar experience with a friend whose idea of thanking me for providing a short-term loan for her business was to stiff me. I was mad that this person basically picked my pocket but I think I was even angrier that she made it difficult for me to trust anyone else for a long time. It's like she also stole the part of me that wanted to see the best in people. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with someone you thought you could trust. Please don't let that person steal from you who you are.

That is really the heart of the matter, the personal affront is worse than any financial loss.

dktoller
03-14-2011, 09:39 AM
Just be sure to protect your own interests. Honest people will rarely take exception to that, especially with the reputation you have built. Sorry to hear you've had trouble.

Ukulele Jim
03-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Wait, what am I missing here? What happened?

Plainsong
03-14-2011, 09:47 AM
This is what forum tox clauses on various forums are for. Swindle a forum member, and if there is proof that it happened, then it's the banhammer and a sticky in the marketplace warning of the person. But the reality is that you don't want to witchhunt innocent people just because two personalities clashed.

It hurts worse that it's a UU member doesn't it? Not just some Joe Schmoe, but someone who you thought was something else. Jeez that's bad. It's the emotional blow more than the financial. :(

downtoearthed
03-14-2011, 09:56 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that Mike. But don't let one person take over all of the UUers who are totally happy with your business. I could not be happier with my Mainland mango concert and you and your wife were an absolute pleasure to do business with. Unfortunately, there are jerks in every facet of life. There are so many people on here who simply want to see you and your business succeed. I hope your day has gotten better!!!

joeybug
03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
It sucks that a UU'er purposely deceived you and tried? to rip you off, it's more the emotional thing than the actual monetary value, but it still isn't nice...sorry to hear that happened..

OldePhart
03-14-2011, 11:57 AM
That really sucks, especially it being a UUer. Makes me more cautious about buying and selling in the marketplace, for sure.

I can understand why you haven't stooped to naming names - being in business that can splash back and cause more problems. You're a better man than I; I probably would have fired from the lip first and regretted it later.

Here's hoping the miscreant gets his just deserts and life brings you roses!

John

Uncle Leroy
03-14-2011, 12:06 PM
you are still our bruddah, bruddah.

Uke Republic
03-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Hate to hear it too. I've been doing business with the fine folks at Mainland for at least 3 years and never had issue. Always helpful and just really great people. It is a shame when someone does you wrong. Not very ukey indeed!
Hopefully this person will do the right thing in the long run.

sukie
03-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Hugs to you and Tookta.

Hippie Dribble
03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
sorry to hear of this too Mike. But what actually happened though? Can't you give us an idea without naming names? How do you mean someone tried to rip you off?

Paul December
03-14-2011, 01:29 PM
I'll bet anything it was this guy! :mad:

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/13/wimpy.png
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a banjo-uke today.

kissing
03-14-2011, 01:39 PM
No idea what happened, but I hope the losses aren't too great and you can be happy again soon :)

Tantal
03-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Hard to forgive stuff like that, but hope you are able to not let it affect you too deeply. Especially from a UUer. Hard to swallow for sure.

Plainsong
03-14-2011, 01:46 PM
I'm curious about the story more than the name. I don't think anyone is going to investigate the story to figure out who it is. No need, these people out themselves eventually. Karma and all that.

Lexxy
03-14-2011, 02:08 PM
Sorry to hear about it Mike. What I wanted to say, has already been echo-ed by fellow members here. God bless our uke community :)

veejayblox
03-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hear about it Mike. What I wanted to say, has already been echo-ed by fellow members here. God bless our uke community :)yes. bad business decisions happen, don't get ripped off. :cool:

mm stan
03-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Aloha Mike,
Sorry to hear about your bad business experiences....There's always a few that ruin a good thing for all of us...sad to say...getting burned is the pitts.....
Thank you for the good service and products you provide....

pdxuke
03-14-2011, 05:17 PM
No! Not at all. This person (who is a member here) intentionally deceived me.

Arggggggggg! Soiling our nest!

scottie
03-14-2011, 06:12 PM
It's almost funny, someone will totally ditch their own reputation and credibility for a couple of hundred bucks. I have a good friend who's boyfriend wanted to get her something for christmas. . . she had been borrowing a guitar of mine and I suggested to him that he could have this instrument for her for 2 hundred. It cost me 6 new and I just got sick of the skinny neck. . . pain to try and sell on consignment. . . short story, he stiffed me. I've called him 4 times since Jan and left nice courteous messages. . . last time I said dood. . . I'm not mad, if you can't pay me right now it's all right and we can work something out. . . no call.

I don't want to go to her and say anything because it's between idiot boyfriend and me. . . and I'd feel like I'm imposing. Thing is, she should probably know that he's not trustworthy because someone who'll trash their own reputation over a couple of hundred bucks will likely bring her some degree of pain and angst in the future. . . but that's between them.

I refuse to get mad over 200 lousy bucks but I'll be f*(|<ed if I ever trust him again.

ADD
03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Personally I would want to know the truth. If she's a good friend she deserves to know. In essence you are covering for him, so she can believe he is an honest person when he's not. It's a disservice to her as well as to yourself.

ukeeku
03-15-2011, 01:55 AM
OK, who's head do we have to crack?
On a good note; I will share a good story about how you can trust UUers. I had my Bushman jenny that I was selling, and this kid really liked it but had never purchased a uke on the market place before. He did not know if he could trust me, and I had no idea if I could trust him, but he was really excited about the uke. So in good faith I sent it to him and then gave him 1 week to pay me after he received the uke. If he did not like it he could send it back. He just had to pay for it to get back to me.
Thursday last week was the week mark and had no payment yet. I sent him a quick reminder and was paid that Saturday. So in the end I still believe in the community and hope that it can stay that way.

Mike I hope you can still trust us, and we all support you.

But really, who's head can I crack? Jeepers and I will take care of it discreetly :)

SuzukHammer
03-15-2011, 02:04 AM
I remember first trying to buy ukes on this site. I had a number of people turn me down and said they would not sell to me. Even some folks on this thread.

Me, I didn't understand the lack of trust; but, I had to accept that sellers always can call the shots on the deal. The only thing they don't realize is the buyer takes a risk as well sending money and hoping they get what they paid for or anything at all.

I do want to thank lots of sellers who worked with me on sales. I really appreciated their efforts and trust.

Plainsong
03-15-2011, 02:09 AM
Another heartwarming uke story...

He's not a UUer, but there's a guy in Turku looking to get Flukes and Fleas off the ground in Finland. If the stores would just stock them, they'd sell like hotcakes. Anyway, I posted on facebook that I was in need of a Flea. One of the FUN (Finnish Ukulele Network) members suggested I get in touch with this guy. Having never met in person, he sent me a Fluke and a Flea. The idea was that I try them both and then if I like one of them, pay for it and send the other back.

He did that for me just on good faith, and I got a sweet deal on a hibiscus Flea. :)

WhenDogsSing
03-15-2011, 02:52 AM
I hope this all works out to the positive for you Mike. You've been real good to me and I'd sure like to see your problem resolved.

Huna
03-15-2011, 03:43 AM
See now you can probably understand why the Mele lady didn't bend over. Mainland has the same kinda customers!

Huna
03-15-2011, 03:45 AM
oh I was actually shocked when I noticed that Guitar Center had guards on the doors.

Plainsong
03-15-2011, 04:03 AM
See now you can probably understand why the Mele lady didn't bend over. Mainland has the same kinda customers!

Way to not jusge each situation on its own merits. We don't even know what this story is.

hoosierhiver
03-15-2011, 04:32 AM
I initially started this thread just to do a little venting and you guys have really made me feel alot better about it all. I'm not going to share any details or names unless something else bad transpires. In short, I haven't lost my faith in this community and still believe trusting people is the best way to live.

scottie
03-15-2011, 11:38 AM
Personally I would want to know the truth. If she's a good friend she deserves to know. In essence you are covering for him, so she can believe he is an honest person when he's not. It's a disservice to her as well as to yourself.

Believe me, I've thought about this. In order to arrive at whether or not I should tell her I need to be sure for myself that it's out of concern for her rather than as a result of my being miffed at this guy. I have no desire to cover for him but, over the course of my life, I've come to understand that the things I do can have unforseen consequences beyond my intentions and in this matter it's better to think it over and give him the benefit of whatever doubt may remain before acting rashly.

Plainsong
03-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Then again, if I were her, I'd want to know, but I guess it depends on how well you trust each other and the nature of the friendship and all those things that we can't know in a forum.

cb56
03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Mike don't you have the right to go after what is yours if you were ripped off ? I mean if someone stole money from you or took a uke without paying for it I would think you would have legal rights to get back what was taken from you. Hope it all works out for you.

rasputinsghost
03-15-2011, 12:51 PM

Mike had better appoint a random customer to be company spokesman after letting a random sort of employee of the company misrepresents them completely!

HaileISela
03-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Mike, I am far away from you right now, but because I trusted you with the life of my uke and you put a pick-up into it, I have so much more fun! Thank you for being the awesome guy you are.

And I totally loved your signature. I tried to fin a pic of me at UWC with no shirts, no shoes and no problems. but it appeared to me that the only pictures that were made of me show me either with no shirt or no shoes. anyway, I still don't have problems^^

Having a good time thinking of this one weekend of pure joy.

haolejohn
03-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Mike I hope you feel better and please don't cave into the ripper offer. You are a stand up guy.

mangorockfish
03-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I was going to buy something from one of the highly visible members here and I said can you take my AmEx card and they said I'll mail it to you and then send you a PayPal notice. I got the item in a couple of days and then maybe a week later the bill came through. I sent the payment as soon as it came and the deal was done. That's the kind of relationships we should have here. My $.02.

mds725
03-22-2011, 06:15 AM
I received the most recent of Ralph Shaw's periodic email ukulele newsletter today, and in it he said something that reminded me of this thread:

"Part of me misses the days when ukulele belonged to a small and select group of us that were 'in the know' (outside of Hawaii at least). We were independent individuals, who, having been charmed by its gentle and intoxicating spell, lived in musical isolation, strumming in a re-entrant 4-string world populated by a handful of lonely wanderers. To meet a fellow ukulele player was to connect with a brother or sister. My friend Paul Moore (Ukuleles For Peace) likened it to the early days of the hippy movement. Back then, if you were a guy with long hair and you saw someone with long hair coming towards you, there was instant recognition. You could count on the other guy being of a peaceful & like-mind who would share your views on everything from music to foreign politics to personal hygiene. But it didn't last. As Paul tells it, the hippy movement took off and next thing you knew, everyone had long hair. You couldn't tell who was who; suddenly you were being mugged by some long-haired guy who wanted your tie-dye kaftan and you'd be thinking, 'hey this isn't the way its supposed to be.' "

I hope we haven't reached the point where you can no longer assume from someone's affiliation with ukuleles that he or she is one of the good guys.

70sSanO
03-22-2011, 09:59 AM
Mike,

Sorry to hear that a UUer ripped you off. I think most of the people on this forum are first rate and the few dealings I have had have proved to be great experiences.

As for the UU Marketplace, or any forum marketplace, some care has to be taken when buying and selling. I know of another non-uke forum that requires a certain number of posts before selling on the forum. I know that this may not relate to Mike's situation, but it is always good to see someone has a real interest in the uke before just showing up and putting instruments up for sale in the marketplace.

As for the UUer that ripped you off, hopefully this thread will weigh on his or her conscience and in the end will make it right.

John

Viola Harpstrings
03-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Mike,
I believe in Karma. This arsole will get what's coming to him. I got ripped off last year, too, I sold some stuff I didn't need anymore to a guy I know, he promised to pay me in a couple of weeks. I've tried contacting him, and gotten excuses or just ignored. I will never trust anyone I don't know that well again. Ever.
I've heard all kinds or horror stories about internet rip-offs, and sorry guys, I will never buy a uke from anyone but a good friend or a brick and mortar store...
(Oh, and there is no apostrophe in rip-offs.)
I hope this never happens to you again.
Miss Grammar

OldePhart
03-22-2011, 01:45 PM
Mike,
I will never buy a uke from anyone but a good friend or a brick and mortar store...
(Oh, and there is no apostrophe in rip-offs.)
I hope this never happens to you again.
Miss Grammar
You do need to be cautious, but most of my purchases these days are made online - sometimes from "big names" like Musician's Friend but just as often from smaller outfits. For most things I use a credit card and I know that my card issuer will make good any fraud - in ten years I've only had to use that twice - once with a well-known national magazine that wouldn't stop renewing my subscription and once with an eBay fraud.

I think about all the things that I've gotten at very reasonable prices from "unknown" merchants and individuals over the years and I'd never go back to the "bad old days" when one had to drive all over creation to find what one wanted. :)

John

itsme
03-22-2011, 02:48 PM
As for the UU Marketplace, or any forum marketplace, some care has to be taken when buying and selling. I know of another non-uke forum that requires a certain number of posts before selling on the forum. I know that this may not relate to Mike's situation, but it is always good to see someone has a real interest in the uke before just showing up and putting instruments up for sale in the marketplace.
Yeah, I'm entirely suspicious of anyone who waltzes in and their first post is to try to sell something. On the other hand, I bought an uke from oolee in the Marketplace here, and the transaction couldn't have been smoother. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with another established UU member who's proven to be part of the community and isn't just out to exploit the forums for their own benefit.

I admin another forum (not music related) where you need a minimum postcount to be able to post in the for sale/trade section. Rayan and I had some dialog about how to set this up in vBulletin but it never happened.

I got ripped off last year, too, I sold some stuff I didn't need anymore to a guy I know, he promised to pay me in a couple of weeks. I've tried contacting him, and gotten excuses or just ignored. I got ripped off last year, too, I sold some stuff I didn't need anymore to a guy I know, he promised to pay me in a couple of weeks. I've tried contacting him, and gotten excuses or just ignored.
I've heard all kinds or horror stories about internet rip-offs, and sorry guys, I will never buy a uke from anyone but a good friend or a brick and mortar store...
Like OldePhart said, you do need to be cautious. Sorry, but your mistake was in giving the goods to someone on a "promise" to pay. That's never a good practice. You said you sold to someone you knew, which only goes to show that "friends" and acquaintances are every bit as likely to burn you as a total stranger on the internet.

Plainsong
03-22-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm in a similar-but-different situation. Similar in that I gave a friend something that he was supposed to pay for and didn't. Different in that I'm 100% sure he isn't trying to scam me. I would ask about it, but I dislike the uke so much that I'm afraid if he doesn't have the money, he'll give it back! I really don't want it back! (and shipping large items from here is impossible and the marketplace is limited to the same group of people we all know)

But your situation is someone who just takes what's his, and his is everything. Aren't two year olds adorable?