God given talent, hard work, or both?

pakiboy949

Reaction score
Do you believe that those that are very musically inclined have a sort of "God given talent," hard work, or both?

I've noticed that people with an ear for music, kinda seems more genetic than practice. Or people who improvise, it seems like it's almost something you can't learn if you weren't born with this "natural talent."

What's everybody's opinion on this one?

I thinks a combination of natural talent, hard work and love for the craft. I've met too many musicians who hate music because of one reason or another (like parents who pushed them into music, or just the daily grind of making a living as a musician). I think that affects their performances.

Talent and hard word are essential, but the love makes it special. :D

"God given talent" without a doubt. Trust me on this one. Non-believers call it the Power of the Universe, aka Ninja Power.

It's when you just snap your fingers and it sounds like the melody of "Gently weeps".

more practice then natural talent. there's no such thing as a great musician when the musician doesnt practice. The best musicians ive meet all play for hours, not because of parents or another outside reason, Its because they play for the love of it.

Yes you can have a very VERY talented instrumentalist, but if he/she is pushed in to it by an outside force its not "real". Thats why i never like watching those youtube vids of the 3 year old asian playing a Paganini. Every now and then i see one who looks like hes playing with real passion and love, those i respect and really enjoy.

but this holds true for anyone that is great in anything.

deach hit it on the head, of course there is a natural talent, just like there is natural talent for math, writing, running, throwing. If that talent isnt nurtured then it just gets lost. Thats why im one who believes practice over natural ability.

Last edited:
I think its natural power and hard work, but you need both to be that good, because I see some people who have played guitar for 6 years and suck, but I also know this kid who is a monster of guitar, bass, drums, and god knows what else he pleys but the longest one of those hes played is bass and he played 6 years now, and trust me this kid has some serious natural talent.:music: hes a beast

There was a study done where they calculated how many hours different violinists had practiced in their lifetime.

The study found that the top 20 players had practiced a lifetime total of about 10,000 hours. The next group of players, not virtuosos, but of a level where they could be soloists in an orchestra had practiced a lifetime total of 7,500 hours. The third tier, those that are good enough to be in an orchestra, but not solo had practiced about 5,000 hours.

Similar things can be said about just about everything else.

Here are two articles that make reference to the study.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m2493/is_5_57/ai_n25339086
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpa...F3DF932A25753C1A962958260&sec=&pagewanted=all

So that's the nurture part of the equation... I think where the "born" with natural tallent comes in is that the person has to actually enjoy what they are doing enough to actually devote the 5,000+ hours to master the instrument.

Of course, the study I mentioned is just one study... But I think if you consider the number of violinists who are considered virtuoso- 20 is a pretty big chunk of that number.

Oh! Here is a cool video you guys should watch about practice and becoming "good" at music. The lecture birdwalks a bit, but it's great fun.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r9LCwI5iErE

To hear the part I'm refering to you just have to listen to the first 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Well, every now and then a natural virtuoso comes along, but for the most part it's dedication and hard work and as someone pointed out, a love for the craft. In the Suzuki method of teaching, the philosophy is to start young when the child's mind is capable of learning and adapting in a way that an older child's mind isn't.

My 9 year old has been doing the Suzuki method for piano for two years and plays quite well, however, my 4 year old who started just 6 months ago, is doing things that the 9 year old struggled with at this stage of her learning. The 4 year old will pass her up pretty quickly.

in my case are love to music and very hard drill

I think if you're really passionate about what you want to do then sure, you'll do great. =]

I could sit here and learn how to play an instrument all day and I'll eventually get good. haha.

Any of you spent any time in a martial arts studio?

I ask cause I have. I've seen kids who took to it a lot easier than other kids. Some of em make black belt, some of em don't.

I've met lots of black belts, and a hand full of masters. Some of the black belts I've met got there pretty quick.....well relatively speaking. Masters all seem to be a 20 year project.

Natural talent exists. It will take some people a fair amount of the way towards mastery of any skill in a very short time.

The true masters of a skill always seem to be those who just NEVER STOP practicing that skill.

Any of you spent any time in a martial arts studio?

I ask cause I have. I've seen kids who took to it a lot easier than other kids. Some of em make black belt, some of em don't.

I've met lots of black belts, and a hand full of masters. Some of the black belts I've met got there pretty quick.....well relatively speaking. Masters all seem to be a 20 year project.

Bad example. I have seen several high ranking black belts who suck. But I understand what you are trying to get at.

Only reason I chose martial arts as an example is because it is the only physical skill I know of that has built in grades. There are plenty of studios out there that basiccaly sell black belts, but the example holds true.

Getting a masters belt from an honest martial arts organization is a loong term project.

If there were a similar system for instrument mastery, I guarantee there would be similar results.

Some would advance fast at first with seemingly no effort. Some would advance slowly at first with regular practice and a very disciplined aproach.

In the end, the really good practicioner would be the one who loved the instrument so much that the inevitable setbacks ment nothing to them.

so what do you think it is for jake and aldrine? aldrine you can answer this too if you happen to read it, i might ask you this when i see you in huntington anyway. :D

im very religious :)

i dont think god gives you talent, but you tend to pick things up alot easier... its like a nerd and some popular guy playing sport...

your good at some things, better in other areas

my aunty got 110% for medicine and highest record in Australia... she studied everyday and is only about 26 and owns her own mini mansion with a living room worth 100k.... she was lucky she got brains. <3 bless her!

yeah

..also, little kids who pick up instruments are more likely to get better sooner, as kids are like sponges and get as much in as possible.

Top Bottom