If you have $300 and just found that you love Uke so much... what would you do?

triplesixz

Reaction score
Oh boy! It's so difficult for me to choose ... thanks for all the input in earlier thread
After few research on prices, This is what i came up with.

a) Lanikai CK-C $179.99 free shipping (Laminated Koa)
Lanikai_CK_C_Con_4a998abb52b37.jpg

b) Kala KA-KC $221 free shipping (Laminated Koa)
KA-KC-1.JPG

c) Lanikai $279 NK-C free shipping (Solid Koa)
Lanikai_NK-C.jpg

d) AnueNue Lani 2 $289.99 free shipping (Laminated Koa)
aNueNueLaniIIConcertElectricUkulele.jpg

First I wanna spend only $200 (choice a and b) but If adding about 79 more i can get a solid Koa from lanikai and then at the same range I can also buy anuenue! So would it better to go with the solid or with the brand ...

if you were me which one would you pick and why?

Last edited:
IMO - from that list... none of the above. The NC-C has a solid Koa TOP, but still laminate back & sides. All the rest are laminates. Chek out Mainland ukulele's directly from MainlandUkuleles.com or from UkeRepublic.com (as well as a whole bunch of other concert sized ALL SOLID wood ukes) & you'll end up pretty well below that magic $300.

Disclaimer - I own several Mainland ukes & have bought directly from Mike at Mainland AND Mike at Uke Republic. I have also purchased a Lanikai LU-21, but don't own an AnueNue

Also check out Mim's Ukes (http://mimsukes.com), and MusicGuyMike on eBay.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm, I think I screwed up, I just passed on two Ponos, one concert and one tenor, acoustic electric with hard case one for $300, the other just under. I would have prevously said that's would I would do with that amount of money. Why didn't I??? Beats the hell out of me.

There's nothing wrong with a laminate instrument, and from your list, I'd choose "C".

That being said, if it were me, I'd so a search with the price-point extended to $299 and perhaps consider some alternate exotic woods. Lanikai for example has a nice solid zebrawood or solid monkeypod tenor. And as stated above, contacting Mim, or a few of the Mikes is a great idea.

At $300 Mainland would be my first, second, and third choices (there are three different Mainlands right now I wouldn't mind adding to my stable - wait, no make that two, I just bought one of them used out of the Marketplace here LOL).

I've heard lots of good things about the higher-end Ohanas, but never played one myself.

I've had three different Lanikai laminated ukes and probably won't buy another. They can be good ukes but the playability and tone seem very variable. My LU-21C has okay volume but had very high action at the nut (fortunately I have the tools to fix that). The LU-11 Soprano I bought for my granddaughter is actually louder than the concert - I don't know how good the factory setup was because I bought that one from MGM and he sets them up perfectly. My 8-string came with the best "out-of-the-box" setup I've seen on a uke, better than I've seen on most guitars, but it was a dud acoustically (rocked plugged in, though). I was going to sell it, but after I had it for a while I decided that it was bad enough that I couldn't bring myself to sell it in the Marketplace and I gave it to a friend who really likes ukes but is strapped for cash right now.

I have a solid Acacia Kala and, while it's not a bad little uke, for about the same money I'd definitely go Mainland instead.

(Oh, and I'm another of those that had to overcome great reservations about the rope binding to buy his first Mainland. Now I just don't think about it. Partly because I better understand the "tradition" behind rope bindings (look at the nicer ukes from the 20's) and partly because, when I'm playing it, I don't have to look at the binding!)

I agree with what everyone has said,,,,,go with a solid wood uke if you can.

I'd camp out on the Marketplace or Fleamarket Music and see what comes up. You can get ridiculous deals, there's a Black Bear solid mahogany soprano on sale right now for $300, made by an individual luthier, and all solid wood!

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/marketplace/default.asp

Bingo. rasputin beat me to the punch!!! Get yourself onto FMM quick and grab that last Black Bear soprano. Duane Heilman is a fabulous builder and his ukuleles are of the highest quality. He normally sells these for 450....it's 1/3 off. Get one now!!!!!...before it's too late!!!! AAAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHH.....

I've had three different Lanikai laminated ukes and probably won't buy another. They can be good ukes but the playability and tone seem very variable.
This is the problem with internet purchasing. So far, I've been very pleased with each Lanikai uke I've owned or tried. I have a spruce top tenor that had no adjustment required to the action, frets were perfect, tone was very good and LOUD! I got a LSM-C from that Ebay store that seems to specialize in blemished instruments and other than a nasty glue spot and some minor finish issues , its one of the finest sounding ukes I own. I've tried an all laminate Lanikai tenor (one of the black ones) at a guitar shop that was peachy keen in every way. I also tried one of their laminate koa sopranos, I would have bought it on the spot if it wasn't so ridiculously expensive for a laminate!

My point here is that its difficult to know what you're getting when you buy off the internet, it so helpful to have a seller who stands by their product. When it comes to a $300 uke, the seller should be given as much consideration as the specific model of uke.

Aloha Triplesixz,
Another option is save a little more and get a second hand Kamaka concert...You will not regret it..in the long run....he he just flaming you UAS to another level...Good Luck Let us Know what you decide to get.....MM Stan

Personally, I wouldn't go with any of those and think that you can get more bang for your buck from Mainland Ukes or on one of the secondary exchanges. All of those ukes look very nice, but the reason I think you should stay away from them in this price range is that you'll be better served in the long run by an all-solid instrument as others have alluded to. Good luck with the search!

oh this is easy-peasy! a fluke, a mahalo pineapple and another makala dolphin. boy wouldn't that be nice. :drool:

Last edited:
Mainland, Mainland, Mainland.

Mainland would certainly be a good choice.

But anyone who likes all wood sopranos should consider

1. A vintage uke
2. An Ohana, either SK 35 or 38. Modern classics.

You can find really good, good vintage ukes for $300. My Gretsch and the Favilla I owned were both under $300, and superb instruments. Watch Flea Market for ukes, and this marketplace.

I saw a soprano solid mango makai with rope binding and open geared tuners for 115 on Elderly's site. am curious about that one lol. sounds tasty I bet

I have been very happy with my laminated ukes as well as the solid wood ones, so don't let that factor influence you too much. A couple of years ago MusicGuyMic did a side by side blind sound test of a dozen ukuleles, and people were supposed to identify which were solid, and which were laminated, and which were a combination. It took ages before anybody could identify them all.

My choices would be between an Ohana, Kala, Mainland, or Flea/ Fluke.

Happy shopping!
–Lori

Top Bottom