Its been a while, Crotch Milo Spruce Tenor w/ Plumeria

Kekani

Reaction score
Milo is such a straight grained wood, I was fortunate to get a crotch section that we milled. The owner wanted something really simple in a plumeria, so she got one (okay, two).
DSCN0265.jpg
DSCN0266.jpg
DSCN0267.jpg
DSCN0269.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Yes, and no. My brother threw it up a few years back, and we've never done anything with it. I just use Photobucket to host my pics - too easy, kekani427 is the album name (and the pics above are the newest entries).

Very nice, love the use of sapwood on the sides, nice contrast. Milo is tough to get. I once spent 3 days in Maui begging for this guy to sell me some of his wood. He had 2 acres of koa stacked 6 feet high.

Ukulele Maker

Beautiful Looking Ukulele

Breathtaking. I love the headstock. Do you happen to have a website? :)
Check the 808 Builders List for contact info . . .

Very nice Aaron. Now please, trim that excess string!

Like Pete, I have had poor experience using crotch wood, at least when it comes to koa, and I now avoid it at all costs. Maybe milo is different. Beautiful color in that grain. What is the fret board material?

Last edited:
Very nice Aaron. Now please, trim that excess string!

Like Pete, I have had poor experience using crotch wood, at least when it comes to koa, and I now avoid it at all costs. Maybe milo is different. Beautiful color in that grain. What is the fret board material?

Yeah, Chuck, I'll trim the string eventually. It just got strung before I took the pics.

This Milo hasn't moved at all (I started this last year and sat on it - its for a friend). Fretboard is one of my favorites that nobody really uses, same as the bridge - Milo.

Wow! I love working with Milo but have never used the crotch. Awesome job!

Eric, I got lucky with the pieces I got a hold of, straight from the tree. Most of the branched sections I have don't show grain, this one got "compressed" so I HAD to use it. Personally, I dislike bending the sides - they almost always crack. But I think the end result in sound is more than worth it.

Very pretty. Okay, so where's the second plumeria hiding.

Sorry, I guess I didn't post the pic. Its on the end graft, under the end pin. Yup, under, not around as you'd expect.

Aaron

Last edited:
Love it, love the plumeria too. I actually just figured out what that flower was called last month, when I flipped the next month on a calender. Great job, beautiful uke.

Aloha Aaron,
Always looking for a nice Milo and this one is beautiful.....not sure on the size I want... What size do you recommend for uke for this wood's best tonal qualities?? I
was thinking a soprano or pineapple but a tenor would best bring out it's unique tonal charateristics... thanks for sharing...Stan

What size do you recommend for uke for this wood's best tonal qualities?? I
was thinking a soprano or pineapple but a tenor would best bring out it's unique tonal charateristics... thanks for sharing...Stan

I can only speak for Tenors.

Also, something like this depends highly upon the builder, IMO. Personally, I wouldn't want to "waste" a set on a Standard or a Pineapple (sorry Ahnko), but again, that doesn't mean it wouldn't work. It just means that I wouldn't be able to make it work, just yet.

Aaron

Top Bottom