PDA

View Full Version : Gstring & Pegheds

Gmoney
03-15-2011, 02:01 AM
I bought a Gstring M1 Longneck Soprano from Nuprin & decided to replace the geared tuners w/a set of Pegheds I also bought here on UU. My local luthier took it on as a challenge, so thought I'd post a couple of photos mid-process. Since Nuprin had replaced the original friction tuners w/geared, the resulting holes were a "mite" large for the Pegheds, so we had to first plug the holes with simillar wood & redrill for the Pegheds. My luthier explained to me that he would need to cut a "plug" with the grain running the same way as the headstock (I stupidly thought I'd just find some dowels that fit, but the grain would be running wrong for that. So, attached are a couple of shots of the plugged holes & then same w/a first pass refinish of the headstock. I think that it looks GREAT & once I have the Pegheds, it should be even better than Gstring delivered. I LOVE this uke; wish that Gstring was still making them.

Mandarb
03-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Looks good. Good luck with the rest of the project.

mm stan
03-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Aloha Gmoney,
Nice job, and doing it the right way....thanks for sharing...MM Stan.....

Pete Howlett
03-15-2011, 10:18 AM
That is an impossible task... if I had been doing it, I'd have plugged with a contrasting wood.

Gmoney
03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
That is an impossible task... if I had been doing it, I'd have plugged with a contrasting wood.

Actually what I had suggested - maybe rosewood like the logo (I think that it is rosewood). I don't care about the aesthetics at this point, I was going for function.

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
03-15-2011, 11:10 AM

Yep, If you can't hide it, feature it!

Gmoney
03-16-2011, 02:36 AM
Yep, If you can't hide it, feature it!

Agreed - the holes were so large that the outer rim of the geared tuners barely contacted the edge of the hole on the backside, making even a change back to friction tuners just about impossible. But again, I love the form/feel of this uke so much & had those Pegheds that I was dying to try... when/if I ever sell this uke, I can always put big gold plated geared tuners back on.

cletus
03-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Nice looking job, congrats on the sweet uke.