Painted ukes... which type would you prefer?

kasperjj

Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to do a couple of custom painted ukes to offer for sale on etsy. As I'm doing this more for fun than for profit, I will probably resell the ukes for close to the cost of the uke and paints.

So, the big question is what ukes should I buy for this purpose? I am thinking of getting some for around $100 as this would let the final price be low enough to entice people who don't actually play ukuleles, yet let it be playable enough to be interesting as a novelty uke for people who actually do play... what are your thoughts? Which ukes and what price range?

For those that are curious, here is a link to one of my paintings in the style I intend to work in... it's all acrylic paints, so the paint will end up being a thin polymer coating on top of the uke and as such shouldn't be too damaging to the sound of the uke.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kasperjj/5054763050/

/k

Kala MK-C Concert Ukulele or any of the MK series would be a good choice for a starter audience.

I know it isn't within the price range, and isn't a normal uke that most people would buy, but as a total dork for good art I saw your painting and thought "That would look really awesome on one of them monkey wrench ukuleles."

True Story.

I saw your gallery. Nice work.

Although I am not a big fan of (thin-fabric) gig bags, per se, I can picture your batik patterns
on some lovely draw-string gig bags or music stand bags or shopping bag size carry-alls.

How about some kind of 'ukulele' shaped patterns or musical notes/song sheet designs?

My son did some bleach designs on one of his denim jeans and it looked neat. It was a gel-like
substance with which he drew his designs and then washed the jeans to get his final product.

I am not an artist, but I appreciate what you folks can do.

Thanks for sharing,

Keep uke'in',

oh yah those mahalos are wicked cool too and if I am not mistaken are solid tops lol

Please be sure to show us a finished product. I love your design!

Thanks for all of your suggestions! I will post again when with some pictures once I get further along with the project :)

Top Bottom