Which Firewire Audio Interface --> MacBook Pro?

ceviche

Reaction score
I recently bought a MacBook Pro with the intention of assembling a light-weight mobile studio. I'm certain I'm good with the mics I presently own. I also have a Behringer EuroRack UB802 4-channel mixing board with phantom power for two of the channels. Obviously, I'm lacking proper interface with my notebook computer.

Any suggestions on how best to bring it all together without earning a hernia or recklessly spending money? I'm looking for the most bang for the buck.

--Dave E.

I found the M audio key studio is awesome I can plug my instruments and my mike into it. its the Keystudio 49 I.
I also have the M audio Pro fire 610. I never figured out how to use it yet but it cost me 500 bucks so i guess i better learn how to use it lol.

We recorded my children's CD (See my signature.) on a Motu 896mkiii > MacBook Pro. That interface is probably too big for you, but MOTU makes smaller interfaces and their reputation for working with MacBook Pro is pretty solid. We had no issues at all with the Motu.

I recently got a Presonus Audiobox USB for travel. It is USB, but it works fine for recording 1/2 channels. And it is very inexpensive.

As a professional engineer, I'd have to reccomend apogee duet for two channel, or a motu mk 3 if you need more inputs, but you can't beat the apogee in terms of sound quality

I picked up the MAudio Mobile Pre for about $100 US - two channels with 1/4 and XLR inputs, phantom power. It's USB, but I've never had any problems with latency and it sounds pretty nice for basement recordings.

Recently, I picked up a Zoom H4n portable recorder and I've actually been using it as a DAI lately. It works really well. Again, it's USB, but I've never had a problem with it. I use two mics with the XLR inputs for stereo recording.....

Both work well with my Macbook and iMac recording to Garage Band.....

If you're just recording stuff for you than the world is your oyster. If you plan on recording at home then mixing in a pro facility (or recording in the pro facility and mixing at home) then you're probably better off staying in Avid/M-Audio/Pro Tools realm.

I only record at home and mix at home so I'm no longer a Pro Tools user. I think the Focusrite Saffire series are great values in Interfaces.

And I'm using Logic Express to record and mix with.

Top Bottom