PDA

View Full Version : Planning on getting a guitar

zac987
03-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Due to my experience with the ukulele, I decided to branch out and get a guitar. I've decided to get a folk guitar, as the smaller body will be more suited to my "small instrument" needs.

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=7&ItemID=7
This is the guitar I'm planning on getting. The shop I'd be getting it from has an on-site experienced luthier who has done a nice set up on it. Unfortunately, I know little to nothing about guitars. This particular one is $220 with a hard case. Is this a good deal? Do you guys have any other recommendations? Thanks :)

itsme
03-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Not familiar with Alvarez, but that sounds like a decent price for a solid top with a hard case.

But it's a steel string, right? You're gonna have to take your calluses to new heights. :p

Have you considered a nylon string classical in perhaps 3/4 or 1/2 size? Willie Nelson's beat up but beloved "Trigger" is an old Martin classical.

zac987
03-16-2011, 05:21 AM
I've thought about getting a small classical guitar actually! But I figure if I'm going to take the whole guitar experience all the way, I might as well get a steel string and callous my fingers up lol. Plus I love that rich steel sound (forgive me if classicals sound the same or very similar, again I know very little about this subject besides a few guitar chords :P )

zipykido
03-16-2011, 05:29 PM
If you can I would suggest heading down to a local music store and try to find a similar guitar. I've played an alvarez and it has good action but it's hard to tell if a guitar will suite you until you try it. The price seems alright though, a hard case can run you 50-100 as it is.

zac987
03-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Yeah I've played it and I like the sound and how it feels in my hands. but I'm not really anything close to an expert on guitars haha. that's why I wanted to see if it was a good idea.

uncle phil
03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I am not sure of the price range you are looking at, since that model appears to be discontinued and I can't find a price on it. Frankly I've never had any experience with Alvarez and don't know anyone who has.

If I were looking for an import, I would focus on Eastman, Blueridge, Seagull, and Silver Creek. You can get all-solid instruments for good prices; just keep in mind the cost of a standard setup (you seem to be aware of that already).

I have played an Eastman OM that I really liked, and have had a Seagull for years and years. I have heard glowing reviews about the others, for their price points.

Good luck!

Pippin
03-18-2011, 09:16 AM
At the price-range on that model, I'd pick Yamaha instead.

philpot
03-19-2011, 06:52 PM
At the price-range on that model, I'd pick Yamaha instead.

+1 on the yamaha.

luvdat
03-20-2011, 04:31 AM
Late in life (I'm 50) I've rediscovered Yamaha guitars after having owned several Martins, a Guild and a Breedlove. For $200 you can get an FG700S. I actually prefer the 700 over the 730.

austinlee
03-20-2011, 10:44 AM
I would definitely get that guitar for $220. Unless I was looking at the wrong link, that guitar was a Yari. A high-end handmade solid wood Alvarez that is very highly regarded in the guitar world. Actually that deal seems too good to be true, so be careful. Yari's generally sell for quite a bit more than that.

harpdog cc
03-20-2011, 11:35 AM
If that is really the model number, then grab it at that price. It should have retailed for 2 grand.
If it's a different model number, it's a different story.

zac987
03-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong model number. The guitar I saw at the store looked almost exactly like that, so I figured it was the same thing. Again, I know very little about guitars.

Edit: I think this is the actual guitar. http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=5&ItemID=274

Pippin
03-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Looks like I picked the wrong model number. The guitar I saw at the store looked almost exactly like that, so I figured it was the same thing. Again, I know very little about guitars.

Edit: I think this is the actual guitar. http://www.alvarezgtr.com/prod_page.php?SeriesID=5&ItemID=274

This is a laminated guitar and not the best of their lower-end line. I'd still recommend a Yamaha. If you want to spend a little more, check out the Parkwood guitars at Musician's Friend and look at your local Guitar Center (cheaper than MF).

philpot
03-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Check this one out...
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211045866&listingid=132070147&

My friend has this guitar. I gotta say, its BEAUTIFUL, the back is gorgeous looking, the action is nice and low, it has a built in tuner, and it sounds pretty dang amazing.

luvdat
03-21-2011, 11:48 PM
Yamaha.

In the past 2 days I picked up an FG700S and a CG315S (now discontunued but a great guitar) at a local shop for a steal thanks to some business I've directed their way. With respect to the FG700S, at least the one I walked out with, one of their employeees asked me orginally if I was looking for a "beater" when I asked about the best price on the Yamaha. When I sat and played that thing, he and 3 other employees were somewhat amazed by its tonal quality and volume. I'm not saying every FG700S is the same but I have to say that this instrument is a gigworthy player. The CG131S I played about 9 months ago and loved it but never bought it till yesterday. Even with old strings this spruce top nylon string guitar is a cannon with bass end, depth and spark/snap way above it's price point.

Not too long ago, I recommended Recording King guitars but at this time I have to more clearly state that while their QC has improved and they have great customer service in Greg Rich (a great designer) I'm not looking for great customer service also defined as sending you a nice new one after getting a guitar with issues. Yeah when they really hit it they hit it...but...

A look through the Yamaha soundhole was the final seller besides sound and playability. May I add to the list of Yamaha virtues? Durability.