uke142464
07-21-2008, 09:02 AM
how well do these work?
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/DMAT.htm
I want to plug in but dont want to have to get a pick-up installed
all help is appreciated, thanks

VengefulTikiGod
07-21-2008, 01:11 PM
The people at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach said they were good (they sell a similar pickup, different brand). I have not tried it though. Hmm this one's $10 cheaper than theirs :)

Incidentally I wonder if anyone's tried one on a guitar too?

Guting
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
it does its job and sounds pretty much like any other passive ive sampled/heard.

salukulady
07-21-2008, 01:40 PM
The people at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach said they were good (they sell a similar pickup, different brand). I have not tried it though. Hmm this one's $10 cheaper than theirs :)

Incidentally I wonder if anyone's tried one on a guitar too?I bought one from Island Bazaar and have been using it. Played a gig on Sunday with the band I just joined and it worked great. I can switch back and forth from my soprano to my baritone with no problem.

<~/UkeDude\~>
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Well, personally I have used that exact one and I really don't care for it.
It's get's really bad adhesive buildup wherever you put it and you get a butt load of feed back. . .I mean don't get me wrong, it servered it's purpose, I just don't really care for it. :/

KyleYankan
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I have this exact one. To be honest, I don't like it. Anytime my arm moves on the ukulele, it gets picked up, which annoys me, but the sticky goo in the back leaves a residue on my ukulele, that I can't get off. I ended up sticking it to the back of the headstock, between the tuners to hide any damage it might do. But that's just my experience.

uke142464
07-21-2008, 03:41 PM
well that sucks, I shouldve started this post before I ordered it, :D
whatever, cant change it now, maybe mine will be good

UkuleleHill
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
I think Kyle is talking about when you move your right arm like if you adjust your grip or such. I have the same transducer and have not had any problems when playing gigs... Yeah it picks up the creaks when you move when you aren't playing... But I like it... Should be good ;)

I use electrical tape instead of the black glue... I do agree the black stuff is a nusence...

Keonikapila
07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Well...if you don't like the gummy stuff, you could always do like the old-timers here in Hawaii do: BIG RUBBERBAND...hehe, it get's the job done

cMejilla
07-21-2008, 05:51 PM
I used this pickup to do all of my recordings so far. The residue does happen to stick onto the uke, but i've figured out a way so that it is practically minimal to none left behind. I'm pretty sure it'd sound good with a pre-amp, but I still use it without one and am satisfied with the results.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
i want a pickup, but i want a good amp or whatever u call it as well

anybody got any good amps... that arnt $300... cause this pickup looks good

cMejilla
07-21-2008, 06:23 PM
i want a pickup, but i want a good amp or whatever u call it as well

anybody got any good amps... that arnt $300... cause this pickup looks good

I purchased my amp for $60 at a local music store and it has a slew of options on it from reverb to tremelo speeds and it is a Vox amp. It's really good to go to a music store that has traded-in equipment with your uke because you'll never know what kind of deals there are until you go. Better than taking the risk of buying something online and having it turn out crappy

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I purchased my amp for $60 at a local music store and it has a slew of options on it from reverb to tremelo speeds and it is a Vox amp. It's really good to go to a music store that has traded-in equipment with your uke because you'll never know what kind of deals there are until you go. Better than taking the risk of buying something online and having it turn out crappy

AUSTRALIA = NOTHING UKULELE...

xcept Gaby :)

the people that own and play an ukulele, are on this forum.... and there is 4 - in whom i know of

internet my only resource for anything ukulele, i can never play an ukulele before buying... buy and like, buy and make a contest and give away

note to everybody, if u like the ukulele and want to improve, aussie.... not the place to be

dhkane
07-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Well...if you don't like the gummy stuff, you could always do like the old-timers here in Hawaii do: BIG RUBBERBAND...hehe, it get's the job done

I came across a rubberband in some packaging material. It's 3/4" wide with a 1/4" open slot (spaced out) running down the middle. The cord fits in the slot and the pick-up is covered by the rubberband. It works for me.

No holes or sticky stuff on my uke.

Move your pick up around the right side of bridge and find the sweet spot. My spot is on the low end of the bridge.

And yea, brah, I am an old timer.:nana:

cMejilla
07-21-2008, 06:34 PM
AUSTRALIA = NOTHING UKULELE...

xcept Gaby :)

the people that own and play an ukulele, are on this forum.... and there is 4 - in whom i know of

internet my only resource for anything ukulele, i can never play an ukulele before buying... buy and like, buy and make a contest and give away

note to everybody, if u like the ukulele and want to improve, aussie.... not the place to be

Well, my amp isn't "made" for a ukulele. It's just a regular amplifier for a guitar. There has to be at least ONE music store that sells guitar equipment and electronics in Australia.

All of Australia can't be musically uncultured.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
australia = nothing but aussie stuff, which is the thing i hate most about Australia..

so, an ukulele pickup... goes into any amp??

cMejilla
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
australia = nothing but aussie stuff, which is the thing i hate most about Australia..

so, an ukulele pickup... goes into any amp??

Almost all pickups, to my knowledge, use 1/4" (quarter-inch) plugs. The dean markley pickup (that I have and is listed above) comes with a standard 1/4" plug. Other external "stick-on" pickups will most likely have 1/4" plugs too that will connect to a guitar amp that has a jack made for those types of plugs.

Besides, electronics stores have made different adapters to turn 1/4" into 1/8" (headphone jack size) plugs and vice versa. That's how I record my uke through the microphone jack on my computer :D.

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Almost all pickups, to my knowledge, use 1/4" (quarter-inch) plugs. The dean markley pickup (that I have and is listed above) comes with a standard 1/4" plug. Other external "stick-on" pickups will most likely have 1/4" plugs too that will connect to a guitar amp that has a jack made for those types of plugs.

Besides, electronics stores have made different adapters to turn 1/4" into 1/8" (headphone jack size) plugs and vice versa. That's how I record my uke through the microphone jack on my computer :D.

ill buy a pick up and take it into the music store and see wat they got

ill buy it soon haha

cMejilla
07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
haha. let us know how it goes. Looking for that perfect amp is just like looking for that perfect ukulele.

experimentjon
07-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Oh man, I hope my friend didn't end up getting one of these external amps. He was talking about getting one since he didn't want to drill holes into his Koaloha...I'm thinking the drilling and having a neat internal solution would be better than having sticky goo left on your koa.

But man, I'm pretty sure Guting has an external pickup held on by grey duct tape...so that's the most extreme I have ever seen.

uke142464
07-22-2008, 03:36 AM
ok, now I feel a little better about it:D

salukulady
07-22-2008, 04:59 AM
I have had no problem with the sticky stuff leaving a residue. The sticky stuff mine came with is gray not black like some of you described. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Witters
07-22-2008, 05:21 AM
I saw mention of "preamp".

Whether a stick on transducer, or a pickup fitted, I have been told instruments sound much better through a preamp.

Can someone be more specific please and if possible a product name?

berylbite
07-22-2008, 07:22 AM
I just bought one, I love it. I can finally keep up with my friends strat.

SailQwest
07-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Just played the new boozelele using our Dean Markley pick-up and Vox DA-5 amp. Sounds really good, and very rock-a-billy-ish.

To stick the pick-up on, we've been using poster stick-up stuff. It doesn't seem to leave a residue.

experimentjon
07-22-2008, 06:35 PM
I saw mention of "preamp".

Whether a stick on transducer, or a pickup fitted, I have been told instruments sound much better through a preamp.

Can someone be more specific please and if possible a product name?

Well I'm no expert, but I know that preamps just amplify the signal before it goes to the big amp. Therefore, it can send a stronger signal and you can make more noise. It is mainly for major gigs where you will be using big amps and are trying to fill a larger venue with sound. But when you're practicing at home, you really don't need a preamp. And the bad thing about preamps is that they require a battery, usually a 9v which will need replacing after a while, and adds quite a bit of weight to your instrument.

My Ovation uke has an internal OP-24 preamp. It allows me to mess with a whole bunch of the settings, and is somewhat useful since my amp is pretty basic. But I could still live with a passive in it since I dont think I'll be playing in a large hall any time soon...and if I ever do, I'd probably be good enough to justify putting an expensive active pickup in a more expensive ukulele. :)

Two respectable brands are LR Baggs and Fishman. I know that the LR Baggs unit is used in Kanilea ukes. I hope that helped. :D

Tomdini
07-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I've never employed a passive pickup without a preamp and gotten an acceptable result. They're par for the course, period. That's kinda the point of passive gear... you can pick out more of the equipment you want to use and sculpt exactly the sound you're looking for, as opposed to a "canned" predetermined sound. The other side of the argument is, obviously, that manufacturers building active pickups, loudspeakers, or headphones have already created ideal matches between their amplifiers and their drivers, etc., and eliminate the need to experiment, mix, and match. I.e., you get optimized, straight-out-of-the-box functionality.

But the point is, if you're gonna use a passive pickup, you really should acquire a preamp. Active pickups include them, and passive pickups shouldn't be without 'em.

It's not just about gain, it's about fidelity. You want your signal at line level. Without the preamp, impedance is too low and quality and definition of tone suffer as a result, long before you've even plugged in. When you do plug in, you'll just be making crap crappier.

Try taking a standard stage mic, like an SM-57 or something, and convert the 1/4" phono plug into an 1/8" and then jack it directly into the microphone port on your PC's onboard or consumer audio card. You won't be able to hear your voice, or it will be very soft. Record something, then take a compressor or exciter and boost the volume on the signal, and it will sound extremely grainy and low-fi.

The impedance driving something like the SM-57... or a stick-on transducer... is very, very low. You need to boost the impedance with a preamp before going into an amp. That way it'll sound its best. Plus it adds another useful dimension to your unique sonic signature.

But really, in the end, if you like what you're hearing and don't feel the need to acquire a $100 preamp for a $40 stick-on transducer, then your own contentment and happiness is all that matters. But I think if you buy a quality preamp (Behringer's a good place to start for the budget-conscious beginner), you're gonna find the sound of your amplified instrument improved one hundredfold.

-Tom

Witters
07-22-2008, 10:04 PM
Interesting stuff guys.

So the bottom line is to always get a preamp with a stick on pickup, or a Uke that came with a passive pickup.

I have a Kustom Sienna 35 and plug my Flea straight into it.

Would I be better off then to add a preamp?

VengefulTikiGod
07-22-2008, 11:30 PM
Anything to be said for external preamps? Anyone ever use one?

Futch
07-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Anything to be said for external preamps? Anyone ever use one?

The bonus of external preamps is that they are not attached to one particular instrument. You could have passive pickups in all your instruments and use them with the same preamp (not at the same time obviously!), it is not tied down to being used with one particular instrument the same way internal preamps are.

External preamps tend to have more options and tweakabilitly. Because they don't have to keep the weight or size down in order to make it fit inside an instrument. Therefore if you want more features outboard is the way to go.

Another bonus with outboard gear is that you don't have to have a hole in the side of your instrument with an ugly plastic box in it. So from an aesthetic point of view, an outboard means that your uke gets to stay pretty.

Also all the added weight of an onboard preamp and battery does affect the acoustic tone of an instrument, especially with something small like a uke.

Alright, I could go on forever, enough from me now. Hopefully that will shed some light on some more pros and cons!

Tuke
01-30-2009, 06:28 AM
"The only cure of course is to buy more. Eventually you will drive yourself into utter poverty, or alienate everyone who has ever loved you. Either way, it will be ok, because you'll still have your ukes....."
-boozelele

I have 8 different ukes right now and I'm probably not done.

gabzuke
07-12-2009, 04:40 AM
ahhh this is like the same as the shadow sh 2001 transducer. though, i would think the shadow one wouldve been the better choice
because it has this tiny thing that you could leave on the uke til the adhesive comes off and all you have to do is take off the wire that comes with it. really cool if your looking for just a transducer