Kamaka on ebay. Am I missing Something???

Ronnie Aloha

Mahalo Sen. Dan, R.I.P.
UU+
UU VIP
Reaction score
Must be the free strings

Well, it says it is "Played by Hawaiis' best recording and performing artist!". Not sure if the seller means this particular Uke or Kamakas in general....and who exactly is Hawaii's best recording and performing artist? The plot thickens.

I sent him an email asking your exact question Ronnie, and mentioned in passing I can buy a brand new HF-3 for what he's asking for a 7 year old one. I'll let you know what his response is...

I sent him an email asking your exact question Ronnie, and mentioned in passing I can buy a brand new HF-3 for what he's asking for a 7 year old one. I'll let you know what his response is...

his explanation of the high reserve was twofold: (i) retail prices for Kamaka tenors on Hilo (where he is) are $1200, and that (ii) his ukulele comes with a hardshell case, while the others don't.

Mind you, it's still a whole lot cheaper than a kamaka tenor I saw a couple of days back at a Melbourne store here in Australia where they were selling for 1800+.

his explanation of the high reserve was twofold: (i) retail prices for Kamaka tenors on Hilo (where he is) are $1200, and that (ii) his ukulele comes with a hardshell case, while the others don't.

Mind you, it's still a whole lot cheaper than a kamaka tenor I saw a couple of days back at a Melbourne store here in Australia where they were selling for 1800+.

By any chance, The Acoustic Centre?

Aloha Aaron,
Lexxy is short for Alex....
Aloha Ronnie,
So much intrest in this one don't know why??? maybe it's the outside market...., and I think mine has a nicer grain pattern.....You think I can get 1200.00 for mine....I got a Pro Tec case and I'll throw in
strings too..he he...intresting....maybe lets chip in and start a business...lol....

Aloha Aaron,
Lexxy is short for Alex....

So is Alex short for something? Must be my age. . . too old. . .no offense intended. Guess like I thought Aquila was Italian, and he (or she?) is Filipino. I guess I'll stop assuming now.

MMStan, you da man.

I think.

Now that I think about it, I work with a Stan. She's cool. For real.

Last edited:
Just my opinion but my guess is the 1 and 2 feedback bidders are shills. They drove the bids from $500 to $750 together then quit a bit, then one more to pop another bigger bidder. The 1 FB has not bid on anything else. Neither has the 18 FB bidder and they have also not bid on anything in a year. The uke could be worth that but the seller is likely making sure they get their price. Not legal but since eBay hid everyone's IDs no one can tell anymore except by looking at the pattern and if there are any other bid histories with any other seller. Also if the new IDs were in the same city, ZIP or general location it was often the seller using other IDs to bid up their own stuff. That used to be a good way to tell the legitimate bidders from the shills. But it's rampant now.

But I have heard a lot of stories, experienced it myself, and sold on eBay for 12 years now so have seen a lot. It could just be legit newbies.

Just my opinion but my guess is the 1 and 2 feedback bidders are shills. They drove the bids from $500 to $750 together then quit a bit, then one more to pop another bigger bidder. The 1 FB has not bid on anything else. Neither has the 18 FB bidder and they have also not bid on anything in a year. The uke could be worth that but the seller is likely making sure they get their price. Not legal but since eBay hid everyone's IDs no one can tell anymore except by looking at the pattern and if there are any other bid histories with any other seller. Also if the new IDs were in the same city, ZIP or general location it was often the seller using other IDs to bid up their own stuff. That used to be a good way to tell the legitimate bidders from the shills. But it's rampant now.

But I have heard a lot of stories, experienced it myself, and sold on eBay for 12 years now so have seen a lot. It could just be legit newbies.

hi Teek,

and thanks so much for the wisdom there. I am new to buying and selling on ebay and very naiive and gullible with all that kind of stuff. I had suspected several times where I was involved in a bidding competition before that they were dummy bidders just goading me so as to raise the sale price, but to hear that info direct from you makes so much sense. Thanks a lot for at least putting it out there. :)

Myself, as a seller on ebay, only use the facility after exhausting all other possible avenues for sale.

I believe that would be sister.

hi Kekani,

yes, I have embarrassed myself before by assuming someone's gender incorrectly :eek: , but not this time. Lexxy is most definitely a blue-blooded young man! :)

Top Bottom