Foul Play in ebay

SuperSecretJohn

Reaction score
I'm currently bidding on an ukulele on ebay, which started from $0.99. A user with 0 feedback trying to outbid me brought me to my attention. Upon further inspection of the profile, the user has retracted 4 bids within the last 30 days and 10 within the last 6 months. Should I suspect price manipulation and ask for someone to look into it?

Last edited:
I'd report it, if I were you.
That does sound pretty suspicious...

I snapped a screenshot of the profile in question to assist in clarifying my previous post.

ebayscreenshot.gif

I should also add that the description, being of a more expensive model, and the picture differ. I asked the seller what he was selling--the one in the description or the one in the picture? He told me the one in the picture was being sold and would correct the description. Later, he simply added "Actual ukulele pictured" to the end of the description rather than emitting the extra features that don't exist.

Yikes... If I were you I'd definitely steer clear of that auction.

I talked to a live representative who helped me out. Apparently (or inapparently), the issue is called Shill Bidding. She noticed something strange as well. She made her own note about the issue and also guided me to the appropriate link where I could file a proper report. I'll update you guys/gals if anything happens.

Last edited:
Cool, glad to hear it... Let us know!

Yeah - shilling sucks! I've seen it happen on skateboard decks that I was bidding on... like an old Hosoi and Caballero that I wanted from the late 80's/early 90's.

That's why I'll normally snipe a bid if it's something that I really want and has no PIN option.

Top Bottom