PDA

View Full Version : Foul Play in ebay

SuperSecretBETA
07-21-2008, 10:27 AM
I'm currently bidding on an ukulele on ebay, which started from $0.99. A user with 0 feedback trying to outbid me brought me to my attention. Upon further inspection of the profile, the user has retracted 4 bids within the last 30 days and 10 within the last 6 months. Should I suspect price manipulation and ask for someone to look into it?

LoMa
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd report it, if I were you.
That does sound pretty suspicious...

SuperSecretBETA
07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I snapped a screenshot of the profile in question to assist in clarifying my previous post.

http://www.ridiculosity.net/~ridiculosity/ebayscreenshot.gif

SuperSecretBETA
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
I should also add that the description, being of a more expensive model, and the picture differ. I asked the seller what he was selling--the one in the description or the one in the picture? He told me the one in the picture was being sold and would correct the description. Later, he simply added "Actual ukulele pictured" to the end of the description rather than emitting the extra features that don't exist.

upskydowncloud
07-21-2008, 01:45 PM
If in doubt don't bid! Something better will always come along!

KiLO
07-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Yikes... If I were you I'd definitely steer clear of that auction.

dafamcallsmebj
07-21-2008, 02:07 PM
yeah i would stay away from that too!!
happened to me one time... won a phone on ebay and a month later i still never recieved the item...
whenever i messaged the seller there was no reply...
then little by little people started giving him negative feedback...
but i got my money back!!

so yeah..
i say report it!!

SuperSecretBETA
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I talked to a live representative who helped me out. Apparently (or inapparently), the issue is called Shill Bidding. She noticed something strange as well. She made her own note about the issue and also guided me to the appropriate link where I could file a proper report. I'll update you guys/gals if anything happens.

KiLO
07-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Cool, glad to hear it... Let us know!

Poi Dog
07-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Yeah - shilling sucks! I've seen it happen on skateboard decks that I was bidding on... like an old Hosoi and Caballero that I wanted from the late 80's/early 90's.

That's why I'll normally snipe a bid if it's something that I really want and has no PIN option.

nikolo727
07-24-2008, 09:50 AM
wow that stinks man. I would def report it asap.