Impulse buy, but no renorse

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
I'm in Carmine Street Guitars yesterday, and even though its three blocks from my house, I've never been in there before. Wonderland. A few nice new ukes; Ohanas, Lanikais, Oscar Schmidt - and also, a lot of vintage ukes and a couple of real nice ones, like a couple of Martin Tenors from the 50's and a Gretsch soprano from the 30s, and banjo ukes in various states of disrepair. I picked a cheapie Hilo off the wall - a painted model 2652 mahogany laminate soprano, played it for a few minutes and took it to work for $20.

I felt guilt for about 10 minutes, but then, what costs $20 these days and is this much fun?

Eh, what will $20 buy you now anyway? 4 gallons of gas?

$20 well spent if you ask me. :)

One Yuppie food stamp gone to a good cause. You spend much more than that for a night out on the town that you can end up regretting the next morning. Good spend..

Pretty much every one of my ukes has been an impulse buy, and definately no remorse! How else could you have as much fun for $20?

HA! bought one for my nephew and he loves it! Enjoy

Great use of 20 bucks!...can't even go to the movies anymore with 20 bucks but a uke will last you a lifetime.

Probably the best spent $20 I have ever seen!! Congrats.

I felt guilty for a very short time. I can't even imagine why at this point. :)

Best way to spend $20! How does it sound?

It's really surprisingly good, with a new set of Aquilas on it (it came with them), so I have no real complaints. I will have to cut the nut slots a little deeper because of the usual cheapie intonation problems, and I'll also sand down the bridge, but really - I couldn't complain! My office mates might, but I won't. ;)

$20? Buys lots these days. A bottle of pinot grigio to sip with my wife on the deck at sunrise... two paperback novels, maybe three, to give hours or reading pleasure... a bag of good dog biscuits for Sophie to enjoy.... two previously-viewed DVDs... two flats of annuals for the front garden... three months of satellite radio... One new CD of music and a venti chai latte at Starbucks... a dress shirt at Costco.... a nice tropical plant... a frozen pizza and a bottle of plonk... two boxes of scoopable kitty litter for the local animal shelter.... one hour of rental time to scan old music sheets at the local copy shop... one discounted copy of Richard Dawkin's latest book on evolution... three months of online World of Warcraft... two hot chocolates, two muffins and a dog treat for when we walk downtown on a chilly day... an 8GB flash drive... a small bouquet of flowers for my mother.... Left 4 Dead 2 for PC... a donation to a Japanese relief agency... a box of premium crackers and a sampling of nice cheeses to enjoy on a Saturday afternoon... a low-flow shower head... a nice slice of tuna loin for dinner... two glasses of wine at the local bar... but true, it doesn't usually buy much in the way of ukuleles.

the thing that no-one really factors in is that ukuleles - certainly second hand ones - don't really disappear, depreciate or degrade... whereas eating, entertaining, and most other purchases in the ukulele price bracket DO. I've found that ukulele acquisition has taken the place of changing/fiddling with cars.. which brings up the other plus in that the former have far lower running costs too.

And I thought I got some deals this week!

$20 is awesome -- maybe keep it at the office though so it doesn't take up space in the apt!

I felt guilty for a very short time. I can't even imagine why at this point. :)

It's really surprisingly good, with a new set of Aquilas on it (it came with them), so I have no real complaints. I will have to cut the nut slots a little deeper because of the usual cheapie intonation problems, and I'll also sand down the bridge, but really - I couldn't complain! My office mates might, but I won't. ;)

It came with Aquilas! So it only cost $15 really!

Congratulations on the purchase John!

I often look upon my little sky-blue painted mahalo and think how easily the $25 I paid for that is frittered away these days. And yet, 5 years later, I've still got the uke and play it often. :)

Top Bottom