One Song, Two Song, Three Song

Mandarb

Reaction score
How many songs/instrumentals do you work on at a time? Do you complete a piece where you feel fairly comfortable playing it without sheet music before starting to learn a new song/instrumental or do you work on multiple pieces at the same time?

Unfortunately I don't stay focused very well, and jump around from parts of songs. That's probably why I can't play very many complete pieces, but since I only get to play a couple if times a week (on a good week!) it seems I'm always interested in something different every time I pick up a uke. I guess I need to concentrate on one piece at a time, but I do have fun doing it my way.

HA! I agree with kenikas - I'm always jumping around and need to go back to finish a whole song from start to finish!

That being said, there are some songs that catch hold of you so strongly that you work on them exclusively till they are tight. The last for me was Close to You by Jake, just had to learn it. Unfortunately, my better half hate that song! There was some strife...It's supposed to be romantic, too!

I should probably focus on one song more than I do, but I am easily distracted. I have very few songs completely off book.

I usually try to stay between 2-3 with more focus put on one. But yeah like everyone else, I know I should focus on one song until I master it, but I am too easily tempted by other songs.

I seem to be odd, I used to jump from song to song, but now I concentrate on one...two at the most and master those before moving on to my next one!

Thanks for the feedback so far. Interesting to see that so far the majority of people are jumping around from song to song. I look forward to some more responses.

How many songs/instrumentals do you work on at a time? Do you complete a piece where you feel fairly comfortable playing it without sheet music before starting to learn a new song/instrumental or do you work on multiple pieces at the same time?

Multiples. I don't really ever consider anything I'm working on "finished." I can only play a couple of pieces all the way through from memory, but I'm okay with that since I don't consider myself a performer - I don't really care if a piece is memorized or not.

I have yet to master any song. I get too bored. On the other hand, I don't practice more than 3 or 4 at a time.

I've been learning instrumentals exclusively, and usually work on one at a time. However, sometimes I start learning a new one when I feel like I almost have the current one down, so I kind of work on both at the same time for a bit.

I usually pick some songs - 2,3,4,... - learn them all so I memorize the chord progressions and whatnot.
And play/ try to get the songs perfected.

sometimes if you take a break from concentrating on one tune and switching over to another, when you go back to the original tune things start falling into place. Getting too absorbed in the one song can be a tad deflating and discouraging if progress is slow. A second or third song can act as a musical lubricant and provide some relief...changes of scenery are handy at times.

Multiples. I don't really ever consider anything I'm working on "finished." I can only play a couple of pieces all the way through from memory, but I'm okay with that since I don't consider myself a performer - I don't really care if a piece is memorized or not.

I agree with your thought about "finished" - I always feel I can improve something in a song i.e. better/more even tempo, cleaner strumming or fingerpicking, quicker chord changes, etc.

I've been learning instrumentals exclusively, and usually work on one at a time. However, sometimes I start learning a new one when I feel like I almost have the current one down, so I kind of work on both at the same time for a bit.

I have always enjoyed your instrumentals. How long does it you usually take you to get a piece down where you feel good about it?

sometimes if you take a break from concentrating on one tune and switching over to another, when you go back to the original tune things start falling into place. Getting too absorbed in the one song can be a tad deflating and discouraging if progress is slow. A second or third song can act as a musical lubricant and provide some relief...changes of scenery are handy at times.

I have found the same thing at times - if I step away from it for awhile and come back things "click" a little better. It is probably good to take a break when it gets frustrating but sometimes you just want to get it down before moving on.

Last edited:

:agree: I found that with the Molokai Slide when I was learning it, I haven't gone back to it yet, but I do find that now when I play Bb it comes more naturally...will have to have another go at that song!

:agree: I found that with the Molokai Slide when I was learning it, I haven't gone back to it yet, but I do find that now when I play Bb it comes more naturally...will have to have another go at that song!

I have the tabs for this song - it is a really nice song. But I know that it is too much for my skill level and I will have to work on it at a later date.

I have the tabs for this song - it is a really nice song. But I know that it is too much for my skill level and I will have to work on it at a later date.

I just have the chords, not quite at the skill level to even think of tabbing it!

I have always enjoyed your instrumentals. How long does it you usually take you to get a piece down where you feel good about it?

Hey thanks! By getting it "down", I just mean that I know how to play all the parts. For this, it seems to typically take a couple of days (such as Hallelujah) to a week or two (such as Bohemian Rhapsody), assuming I'm spending at least a couple of hours per day working on it. It takes much much longer to get to a point where I feel like I'm proficient at a song. In fact, I don't know if I consider myself proficient at any song at this time (most of the videos I've posted are really fairly ghetto. :p). Also, there are plenty of songs that are too hard for me and I give up (such as 3rd Stream).

Top Bottom