Beginners Question Ref Pocket Uke Tuning

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
I have read many post that mention recommended tuning for the Pocket Uke is either CFAD or DGBE. I'm just wondering why. I was at local music store yesterday and I spent a few minutes playing around with one which was tuned GCEA. I was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded for its size and how easy it was to play. The only thing I noticed out of the ordinary (again, taking into consideration its size) is that the A string required a little stronger pick than the other 3 for same sound level, but I have noticed that to some degree on a couple of standard sopranos I've played.

What is the reason for the different tuning??

It is a great size to carry in a saddle bag!

Thanks....

You may get sound out of it at GCEA tuning but you will find that the strings are very soft and, worse, the intonation up the fretboard will be terrible. Stringed instruments are designed to intonate well for a given tension and type of string - if you go to far away from that tension the intonation up the fretboard quickly gets worse.

Kala recommends either CFAD or DGBE tuning. I've found with Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings CFAD is great, DGBE is getting a bit tight.

John

Top Bottom