Yet another 'This Uke? Or That Uke?' thread

keedokes

Reaction score
Okay guys, I've been doing some research, reading a lot of threads here, and am trying to decide on my uke. I upped my budget from $60 to $90, but can't decide whether I want a Luna Tattoo Concert or a Kala KA-S Soprano.

Suggestions? My daughter has a Soprano, so I'd have access to hers if I wanted to change things up. I can't decide! I've been doing research all day today instead of my housework...

geeze. that is a tough decision, i wish i could be of some help here. good luck.

Last edited:
well I saw a youtube today of that Luna Concert and it sounded great. I have the soprano version with the turtle on it and like it well enough. If you will just go twenty bucks more you can get the Makai soprano solid mango at Elderly lol.

Heres that concert I believe and think it sounds pretty darn good:

as far as the KA-S... I believe the Luna is a superior laminate than that Kala. That Kala is basically the most basic Kala that exists save the Makala and some think the Makala though cheaper is better sounding than the Kala. And, the Dolphin is probably sweeter than the Makala or Kala. So I vote for Luna.

Or maybe I should just be smart and spend less money and go for the Luna Honu... Huna, what do you think of yours?

Shopping for ukulele is so much more interesting than housework. I think the real question is do you want a soprano or do you want a concert?

That's the question I can't answer! I feel like a five year old again trying to decide between candy bars! :D They're both great!

But, with a few more hours of research...I think I'm leaning a little towards the soprano. I like the sound a little more. I think. Which is why I asked about the Honu. I love Luna's work aesthetically--except I'm not a fan of that demned turtle. I have to remind myself that it's the sound that counts.

My first uke was a Kala KA-S that I got from MGM. I have been very happy with it. Paid less than $90.00 for it and that was with shipping. He sets them up with new strings and works out any kinks. He has an ebay site. For a first uke I think it's a very good value. Hope this helps.

oh that Luna Honu is very nice. You might have heard the review of it by a UU member. Also, it comes with aquilas on it so that saves you six bucks plus you can get it without paying shipping from musician's friend. You might want to file on the nut if you have to a little. Otherwise, yeah it comes with a bag and all for seventy bucks delivered. http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Luna-Guitars-Honu-Soprano-Ukulele?sku=583538 I like it a lot. People in my ukulele group remarked at how they didn't know a soprano could be that loud. Some think its a higher end laminate more like the japanese ukes.

Just ordered the Honu!! I'm so excited. Honestly the only thing stopping me was the turtle, and I'll learn to live with it. Eventually I want to get one of their guitars, too--the Gypsy Spalt. But that's for another forum. :p

Edited to say...THANK you ALL! You've been a huge help and gave me tons to think about.

Congrats on the Luna! My daughter has one, and it is really sweet!

Top Bottom