My Ukulele Vacation!

franck3d

Reaction score
I took my family down to visit my folks in Florida and brought along my Uke!
I remembered my father having a one forever, so I thought we could get them together and have a mini ukefest. My 11 year-old son also brought along my first ukulele so we would have a multi-generational jam. Unfortunately, just after we go here, as we were unloading the van, he sat on it and snapped the neck off.
I think it's fixable, but it will have to wait 'till we get back home.

My dad also surprised me by bringing out a ukulele I had never seen before, we went to a local music shop to get some new strings, as it only had 3. It turns out it's a baritone.
He's not really sure where he got it, it was a gift who knows how many years ago.
I'll try and post some pics in the next few days.

We're restringing it right now, I'll see if I can get some video of the two together, as well.

Looking forward to seeing it! Do you know the brand?

Sorry to hear about the broken uke. Good luck with the baritone.

Sorry about the breaking of the uke...hope it can be fixed. Man how cool of an idea, three generations getting together to have a uke fest!!!! Awesome!

Hello,

I have been playing my concert uke for a couple years now and enjoy playing a lot. Last fall, my husband wanted to learn to play uke a bit so I pulled out my old baritone uke for him to use. The baritone did need new strings so (maybe to make it easier for me to teach him), I restrung the old baritone with the aquilla aecg made specifically for a baritone. This has worked out very nicely and we are happily enjoying playing together. We are working our way through the Uke in the Classroom Volume 1. He really does well especially playing the harmonizing parts. Just an idea for you playing together with other family members.

Well, I'm back at home now (and work, shhh!) and my vacation didn't turn out to be as ukulele-themed as I had hoped.

Unfortunately I spent too much time at the beach and the pool and kayaking around the mangroves to get much playing in.
I did manage to get some photos of the baritone which I will try to post tonight.
According to the sticker on the neck, it was "Made in Taiwan, Republic of China", there were no other identifying marks, and it was painted a happy red!

I'm hoping to get a friend who is a woodworker to patch up the busted soprano for me.
I think it should go together again pretty well.

I really liked the tone of the baritone! It was a little different because of the tuning and the fact that the 3rd and 4th string were wound.
The 3 surviving strings that were originally on were all nylon, but the guy at the music shop sold us a set of half and half.

I'm hoping that once I get the little one fixed, my son and I can start working on a set of songs to play for Christmas!

Top Bottom