Visited Magic Fluke today

ksiegel

Probably unknown member
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey there!

As you all know, meaning I am about to tell you, Magic Fluke Co. recently moved from Connecticut to Sheffield, MA. As that is only about 70 miles from my house, (about 90 minutes, thanks to some slow secondary backroads), I dropped Magic Fluke an email back in December, asking about tours.

Phyllis answered very quickly, and said I was welcome, just check first to make sure that they'd be there.

Today was the day.

I was pleased to meet Dale and Phyllis, and several of their staff (Hi to Beth & Lucy), and told to feel free to look at anything, ask questions, and play any of the instruments that were there. (Oh PLEASE don't throw me into the Brier Patch!)

Phyllis told me that I was really the first non-member of the Fluke family to see the new place, and Dale told me I was welcome to post some photos. Since I forgot my camera, and my cell phone ran out of juice (The GPS sucked down the battery while driving down), I only got to take 3 at the shop.

hallway.jpg
This was taken in the side hallway, between the office and the shop. I played every one of the ukuleles in the phot0, plus a few not visible. This area is going to be a Retail Area. Just about all of the Flea Market Music books are there, plus loads of others, DVDs (including Mighty Uke and Play By Ear), t-shirts, and tuners.

While I was playing, Dale brought out the prototype banjo Ukulele that was in the NAMM video the UU guys did. So I started to play. And kept playing.

Man, was it sweet! I didn't want to put it down, and told Phyllis I'd buy it on the spot. Then she told me about the waiting list.

Then, Dale bought out a Banjo Uke body/neck that was in the works. Completely different neck at the heel, and he showed me a new tailpiece they had designed - one piece, easier to attach the strings, and makes it easy to adjust the neck angle.

Then, he brought out another finished prototype - darker neck and pot, and a different type of synthetic head. It gave the instrument a much punchier, much louder voice. Here's a shot of the two prototypes:

banjo ukes.jpg

When I was in the shop, they had the finished ukes lined up, ready for final Quality Assurance and packing when the order was complete. I recognized one customer - but I futzed up the list, because what he's getting is HIS business, not mine! (Hi, MGM!)
mgm.jpg

I did order a Banjo Uke - after playing them both, I just couldn't resist. Lucy told me that they'd get back to me in early April, because they need to complete the existing orders before mine can get made.

But I didn't leave empty handed! However, I can only upload 5 photos, so that has to wait....

(To Be Continued!)

Last edited:
What fun! Thanks for sharing.

I played all of the Factory Seconds that were in the hallway, and except for the one that was explained to me, I couldn't see what made the instruments seconds.

Some had Hilo strings, some had Aquila. Most had the polycarbonate fretboard, but there were some rosewood in the mix. The tops were various colors, including at least one signed "Tiki King", as well as natural. Two even had pickups.

As stated, I played all of the 2nds, and several of the first quality that were labeled "Xtra" - they had yet to be spoken for. The soprano sizes were not bad - the scale is, as Dale explained, slightly longer than a true soprano ukulele. That leads to less cramping in my fingers, especially above the 5th fret. (I'm not differentiating between the Flukes and Fleas at the moment, because both were just fine.)

I had pretty much decided that I wanted a concert size, since I've already got two tenors. However, all of the ukes were very nice, but I found I really preferred the rosewood fretboards, and one of the instruments I kept coming back to again and again.

All but one of the sopranos had a polycarbonate fretboard. For that matter, there was but one concert sized Fluke with a rosewood fretboard And that one had the laminated mahogany top, and Peghead tuners, rather than the Grover 2B friction tuners. A serious drool was starting.

Beth gave me a price on the first quality concert model with the Pegheads, and my mind was made up. Since I couldn't have the Firefly Banjo Uke (today), I grabbed the factory 2nd I'd kept coming back to.

This is what I got:
uke and case.jpg
A tenor Fluke, laminated mahogany top,
pegheads.jpgPeghead Tuners,
walnut neck, rosewood fretboard, body 2.jpg bubinga bridge,
jack.jpgb-band transducer with preamp, and Aquila strings.
label.jpg yes, it is a second, but my ears can't tell, and Dale was forthright about why it was a second - the original battery holder didn't work, and the dislodged battery caused to issues with the label, and the battery connector had to be replaced.

So I got the instrument for over 40% off of the New Tenor price, and about 20% less than a new straight acoustic concert size.

How could I not buy it?

If I ever figure out how to make a video, I'll upload a comparison between my Cordoba, Kala, and the Fluke.

Aloha!

-Kurt

Did I mention that Dale, Phyllis, Beth and Lucy were all just super, tremondously friendly, and just a joy to meet? Because if I didn't, I was remiss!

-Kurt

They always strike me as awesome people. I wish Fluke and Flea would take off here. They'd sell like hotcakes.

I have been conversing with Beth via email and on the phone since last December about all the new models and ordering a tenor Fluke with the optons that I was looking for. I finally made up my mind and placed my order last Friday for a new Red Aloha model.

But guess what. Today I changed my mind. I decided to have one custom painted instead. I called Beth and she couldn't have been nicer. Nooooo problem. She is sending a fluke top out to me to be painted and then I'll ship it back to them to be assembled on my new tenor.

Great company.

Flukes are such a great design and I always love to hear that good things are made by good people.

do flukes and fleas all have laminate tops, or at least most of them? Is that why they are so durable?

They only make one solid top koa model. All the rest are laminate. But I'd say it's the overall construction that makes them durable. The plastic backs are just tough, and the beefy, solid necks they use are rugged. Plus, I've had a Flea in all kind of weather conditions, and the tuners are always in tact. They're probably one of the best all-around brands I've played.

Last edited:
It was down to -20C over Christmas, and the trip from indoors to the heated car was enough to make the tuners go wonky. But hey, that's -20C and it was only in a gig bag. :)

Edit - I forgot to add that I did something you'd never do with anything else - I immediate took it out once we were seated at the fireplace. No waiting for it to acclimate or anything. I mean come on, the tuners slipped, but they would! :)

Last edited:
Aloha Kurt,
Mahalo for sharing your experiences at the Magic Fluke company..sounds like you had a wonderful time...and Congrats on your new fluke, I agree...who could pass all that up....Happy Strummings, MM Stan

awesome Kurt. Just awesome. fantastic description of the experience, felt like I was there. my favorite thread of the year so far. :)

Sounds like a good time. Congrats on the new uke. Thanks for sharing.

:confused: I though Jim and Liz Beloff owned Flea Market Music and did the Flukes and Fleas?? I'm obviously lost somewhere!

Sounds like a great trip, and a nice Ukulele to come away with too! Thanks for sharing :D

Joey, either Dale or Phyllis is Liz Beloff's sibling. I forget which one, but it is in the history of Magic Fluke.

I haven't met Jim or Liz, but if they are half as nice as Dale and Phyllis, they are wonderful people.

-kurt

It's just gorgeous Kurt!! I am SO incredibly jealous you went!! :) At least I hope to get to see the new uke soon!
Think we need to make an afternoon jam.. maybe get some ukers to meet up at the park on Saturday or Sunday afternoon... It's SO beautiful out there!! yeah!!

congrats again!!

Joey, either Dale or Phyllis is Liz Beloff's sibling. I forget which one, but it is in the history of Magic Fluke.

I haven't met Jim or Liz, but if they are half as nice as Dale and Phyllis, they are wonderful people.

-kurt

Thanks for explaining Kurt! I knew there had to be a connection somewhere!

-kurt
Phyllis is Jims sister. Dale invented the Flea/Fluke.
Lori

Thanks, Lori. I knew there was a connection, but I couldn't recall exactly what, other than that someone was someone's sibling, and the rest in on the Fluke website. (g)

By the way, I saw your calendar there - one of the Fleas (blue top) was on the shelf next to the calendar, opened to the page with its photo. Dale mentioned he might have a couple of calendars left at a discount price this far into the year, but he and Phyllis had an appointment and had to leave before I could ask about it.

If you plan on another ukulele calendar for next year, please let me know WAY in advance - my wife buys our yearly calendars in October, and I want to get one into the mix!

-Kurt

Last edited:
Top Bottom