PDA

View Full Version : Cook Islands 8 stringed ukuleles for sale

Soxett
03-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Anyone interested in purchasing a Cook Islands 8 stringed ukulele made from Cook Islands native wood including mango, breadfruit, wild hibiscus, teac just to name a few.

Specs: 700mm x 240mm x 40mm * 14 Frets *

Price: NZD250.00 + shipping

Extras: Personalised Engravement

whetu
03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
choice!

Questions: Can you do them in a larger scale (e.g. Concert) and do you have a sound sample? Cheers :)

Soxett
03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Yes we can do them in a larger scale - the ukulele can be tailor made to your measurements. I'm working on the sound sample. Will upload in a couple of days. Thanks for your interest mate!

toerebangin
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
so how do u convert NZD to USD?

Soxett
03-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Multiply NZD250 by 0.74 (which is approximately the USD exchange rate at the moment) = USD185 (postage not included). Thanks for your interest!! :o)

whetu
03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
so how do u convert NZD to USD?

Go to Google, put 'NZD$250 = ?$USD' into Google and Google will tell you. Easy (btw, you can also do similar conversion questions with Google such as '5kg = ?lbs', hell you can even do maths e.g. '3*12=' etc) :)

Or you could use one of the many online currency sites, or maybe your own bank has an online currency conversion tool. Here's the online currency site I use, simply because you can get permanent URL's out of it that are readable and shareable, unlike Google:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=250&From=NZD&To=USD

Soxett
03-21-2011, 03:05 PM
For those who wish to hear what a Cook Islands ukulele sounds like, just click on the link below. The guy playing is my nephew, one of the top ukulele players in the Cook Islands running a casual ukulele lesson with some newbies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9ZUId2dII&feature=player_detailpage

Soxett
03-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Go to Google, put 'NZD$250 = ?$USD' into Google and Google will tell you. Easy (btw, you can also do similar conversion questions with Google such as '5kg = ?lbs', hell you can even do maths e.g. '3*12=' etc) :)

Or you could use one of the many online currency sites, or maybe your own bank has an online currency conversion tool. Here's the online currency site I use, simply because you can get permanent URL's out of it that are readable and shareable, unlike Google:

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=250&From=NZD&To=USD

Thanks for that! :)

shiver911
05-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Hey Soxett

I am thinking about your offer, it sounds really great.

Could you tell me what the shipping cost would be to either New Zealand or the Netherlands.
I'm gonna be in New Zealand for only 5 more weeks, within what time frame would you be able to send it?

Thanks in advance.

Lori
05-29-2011, 06:17 AM
What kind of strings do you buy for it? Do you use all those wood varieties in one instrument, or are you supposed to choose a dominate wood? I have seen a few tahitian ukes in person, and they are heavier than a traditional uke. How much would shipping be to Los Angeles for a concert sized one? Do you offer cases or gig bags?

–Lori

fabioponta
05-29-2011, 06:41 AM
Good price! Could you put photos of the hole in the back?

Lori, I have 2 tahitian ukes, tenor neck, and it was very loud and bright sound and light weight. All depends the wood you choose.

My 2 tahitian was made in Chile.

velofille
05-29-2011, 09:52 PM
love the sound of the Island Ukes! I've seen a few at the Uke fests around here, and they are excellent! Totally different sound, and yet still the same! Is this one solid or hollow?

Soxett
05-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey Soxett

I am thinking about your offer, it sounds really great.

Could you tell me what the shipping cost would be to either New Zealand or the Netherlands.
I'm gonna be in New Zealand for only 5 more weeks, within what time frame would you be able to send it?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there!

Thanks for your query - it would be best for me to send the uke to you while you are still in New Zealand being much cheaper to send via FedEx door to door courier than all the way to the Netherlands. For me to courier (which is the safest and fastest method of pastage for such precious cargo as a uke) it will cost NZD200.00. This of course is a door to door service with a delivery period of between 3-5 days. We will therefore require payment of NZD250.00 for the uke and NZD200.00 for courier postage, being a total of NZD450.00.

For your info, I just couriered two ukes to Auckland, New Zealand last Friday 27 May. I have been tracking delivery and the ukes are still in transit in Auckland, to be delivered this morning. Just thought I'd share this with you to give you some idea on the best and preferred delivery option to ensure safe arrival of the goods.

My personal email is dawsons@oyster.net.ck. Please do not hesitate to email me should you still be interested.

Cheers!

Soxett
05-30-2011, 11:02 AM
love the sound of the Island Ukes! I've seen a few at the Uke fests around here, and they are excellent! Totally different sound, and yet still the same! Is this one solid or hollow?

Hi there velofille,

The Ukes are mostly solid with a hollow bowl for sound in the middle.

:)

Soxett
05-30-2011, 11:05 AM
Good price! Could you put photos of the hole in the back?

Lori, I have 2 tahitian ukes, tenor neck, and it was very loud and bright sound and light weight. All depends the wood you choose.

My 2 tahitian was made in Chile.

Hi there,

You are the first who has ever asked for a photo of the hole in the back! lolz... I'll have to take a photo and upload as I do not have one in my system. :D

;)

Soxett
05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
What kind of strings do you buy for it? Do you use all those wood varieties in one instrument, or are you supposed to choose a dominate wood? I have seen a few tahitian ukes in person, and they are heavier than a traditional uke. How much would shipping be to Los Angeles for a concert sized one? Do you offer cases or gig bags?

–Lori

Hi there!

Strings are any quality 20lb fishing line.

We can mix the wood upon the request of the customer to give a striped look with the different colours and grains of the wood. As we make our ukes from scratch (i.e. cutting of tree to final tuning) we are at liberty to make them however pleases the buyer.

For safe delivery of the uke, the best and preferred method of postage is FedEx door to door courier services. Our ukes weigh approximately 1.5kg and to courier to LA, USA would be NZD250.00.

No we do not offer cases or gig bags for the ukes.

My email address is dawsons@oyster.net.ck. Please do not hesitate to email me should you have any other queries or are interested in purchasing a Cook Islands uke.

Cheers!

shiver911
06-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah!! Yesterday I got my Cook Island 8 stringed uke. I got one made from miro wood and it is a gorgeous instrument. The wood is carved perfectly and beautifull carvings run from the bottom of the body to the top of the neck, all the way over the fretboard. The natural colours of the miro wood range from light colours to darker red/brown colours and really give it it's uniqueness.
The sound is as amazing and unique as the look of the uke. I am completely in love with it (and am already bragging about it to my friends :D ).

Thanks for the great instrument and for the great service during the process of ordering it.

Cheers
Jordi

Lori
06-05-2011, 06:03 AM
Yeah!! Yesterday I got my Cook Island 8 stringed uke. I got one made from miro wood and it is a gorgeous instrument. The wood is carved perfectly and beautifull carvings run from the bottom of the body to the top of the neck, all the way over the fretboard. The natural colours of the miro wood range from light colours to darker red/brown colours and really give it it's uniqueness.
The sound is as amazing and unique as the look of the uke. I am completely in love with it (and am already bragging about it to my friends :D ).

Thanks for the great instrument and for the great service during the process of ordering it.

Cheers
Jordi

Sounds beautiful! How about posting a few photos? You are just teasing us y'know. :rolleyes:
–Lori

shiver911
06-05-2011, 03:30 PM
Sounds beautiful! How about posting a few photos? You are just teasing us y'know. :rolleyes:
–Lori

Haha I know.
I'm on an offshore island now, unable to post any photos. Will post some when I'm back on the mainland next Saturday.

Soxett
06-05-2011, 03:43 PM

Cheers
Jordi

Hi ya Jordi!

Thanks for your purchase and the great comment. Happy to be of service.

Kia orana from Rarotonga! :)

patico
06-07-2011, 03:05 PM
iorana mai te pito o te henua !!
ukelele era a !!

Soxett
06-07-2011, 04:44 PM
iorana mai te pito o te henua !!
ukelele era a !!

Kia Orana kiakoe e toku toto e te ivi maori!

shiver911
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
–Lori

Here you go:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5503/dsc4875j.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/204/dsc4875j.jpg/)

And a close up of the details:
http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/7089/dsc4879.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/808/dsc4879.jpg/)

Soxett
06-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Now selling stock in Auckland, New Zealand. :)

IamRobbyah
07-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Beautiful! How'd you make the graphics?

Soxett
07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Laser burner... :)

IamRobbyah
09-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Laser burner... :)

Cherreh!!! In the process of setting up a lil wood shop in my man cave/garage. Hope I can get started on a project fairly soon!

Amazing work!!!

Soxett
09-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Cherreh!!! In the process of setting up a lil wood shop in my man cave/garage. Hope I can get started on a project fairly soon!

Amazing work!!!

Congratulations! Goodluck! We are striving steadily and surely!

IamRobbyah
09-19-2011, 06:31 PM
That's great to hear!!! Got a bandsaw and some other random bits today! Hoping to complete the tools list within the next couple of weeks =]

What kind of wood would you suggest?

Soxett
09-20-2011, 08:37 PM
That's great to hear!!! Got a bandsaw and some other random bits today! Hoping to complete the tools list within the next couple of weeks =]

What kind of wood would you suggest?

Nothing can beat native woods!

sallyoxnam
11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi there
How much would the postage be to New Zealand?

do you have any photos of other engraving or carvings on the front please?

Soxett
11-05-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi there
How much would the postage be to New Zealand?

do you have any photos of other engraving or carvings on the front please?

Kia Orana. Thanks for your query. We prefer to send out ukes via DHL courier services to allow for safe and fast delivery to your door. This service to anywhere in NZ and Australia is NZD200.00.

As for photos, I will try and post more photos within the next day. Will take photos tonight and post asap.

byjimini
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Very cool, love the sound - how much for a Tenor version and shipping to the UK?

Soxett
11-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Very cool, love the sound - how much for a Tenor version and shipping to the UK?

Hi there,

Not too sure on cost via courier to UK, but can find out...but it is NZD200 to Australia and NZ, so I'm guessing it will probably be about NZD250-300 to the UK.

maorigirl
05-29-2012, 03:45 PM
Kia ora
I brought my partner from a music shop a unique ukulele that has gone missing. I am looking at buying something similar. It was labelled as a "Tahitian ukulele" it was 8 strings (yellow), it was lights wood coloured, and had mean as rarotongan carvings around it inclunding the word "Rarotonga" carved in the end of the ukulele. If you have something similar for sale please email me I am very interested to purchase.
ladyskux@gmail.com

Soxett
05-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Kia ora
I brought my partner from a music shop a unique ukulele that has gone missing. I am looking at buying something similar. It was labelled as a "Tahitian ukulele" it was 8 strings (yellow), it was lights wood coloured, and had mean as rarotongan carvings around it inclunding the word "Rarotonga" carved in the end of the ukulele. If you have something similar for sale please email me I am very interested to purchase.
ladyskux@gmail.com

Kia Orana Maori Girl! I have responded to your query via personal email as provided by you. Thanks for the query! Cheers!

sikoupz
09-07-2012, 01:21 PM
Anyone interested in purchasing a Cook Islands 8 stringed ukulele made from Cook Islands native wood including mango, breadfruit, wild hibiscus, teac just to name a few.

Specs: 700mm x 240mm x 40mm * 14 Frets *

Price: NZD250.00 + shipping

Extras: Personalised Engravement

i love these rarotongan ukuleles. i would like to buy one ukulele im from auckland new zealand. How do i but one?

patico
09-08-2012, 07:50 PM
hi UUs
tahitian ukeleles usually work better with shortes scales, longer scales tend to break strings more easy.
they are stringed with 0,40 - 0,45 for all the strings, and the E (the highest) gets too much tension

Soxett
09-10-2012, 11:02 AM
i love these rarotongan ukuleles. i would like to buy one ukulele im from auckland new zealand. How do i but one?

Kia Orana....woops...we have sold out of our stock in NZ....but if you are still interested, we can post...but that's at an extra cost. Email me on dawsons@oyster.net.ck if still interested. Ka kite!

Soxett
09-10-2012, 11:05 AM
hi UUs
tahitian ukeleles usually work better with shortes scales, longer scales tend to break strings more easy.
they are stringed with 0,40 - 0,45 for all the strings, and the E (the highest) gets too much tension

Maybe...but it's all in the knots! ;)

Barbablanca
09-11-2012, 01:31 AM
What lovely instruments! Are they steel strung? They sound a lot like an eight string cavaquinho, which I am guessing they are related to (as the Uke is to the 4 string Cavaquinho). I couldn't figure out how an apparently solid instrument sounded so loud.... and then in the video the teacher hands it to a student and reveals the hole at the back! :rolleyes:

Soxett
09-12-2012, 10:38 AM
What lovely instruments! Are they steel strung? They sound a lot like an eight string cavaquinho, which I am guessing they are related to (as the Uke is to the 4 string Cavaquinho). I couldn't figure out how an apparently solid instrument sounded so loud.... and then in the video the teacher hands it to a student and reveals the hole at the back! :rolleyes:

You wouldn't guess what the strings are... :p .....it's fishing nylon 20lb. :D