Kamaka Strings....Want to know what they are????? :)

PedalFreak

Reaction score
Just found out this past week while in Hawaii what the Kamaka strings are. Anyone want to know what they are???

Drum roll please.......

D'Addario's :)

D'Addario makes the Kamaka strings. Was told this by many shops, then at the Kamaka factory I asked if D'Addario made the strings and they said yes :)

On a side note, the Kamaka Tenor I bought I thought sounds really good with the factory strings. Everyone warned me that it wasn't going to sound as good with them on it, but it sounds great! Cant wait to try out other strings on it though :D

Really?? Really??? I'm surprised - all of the Kamaka strings I've removed have felt and sounded exactly like the GHS strings I've removed on other ukes.

But on the pineapple I played at the factory, I have to say they sounded just right. So, maybe the ones I've removed have just been old or something.

So you got your tenor? Pictures please! :)

Really? I like the D'Addario J71s better than the stock Kamaka strings and they both have the same diameters.

I concur that I'm very happy with the Kamaka strings on the hF-3 I ordered from the factory...so much so that I ordered another set (and a t-shirt) this week. I'll try some other brands to experiment with at some point, but I am currently very satisfied with Kamaka's choice. It's a mellower sound, for sure, than some of the other ukes/strings I've tried, but it works for me. I'm also really happy with how they sound recorded.

Nice investigative work there, Pedal....

Are the strings still dark brown-ish coloured? Because the last time i played a Kamaka Tenor with their stock strings which are dark brown-ish, they sounded..Muted.

Just curious :)

Interesting...I still prefer other strings on the Kamaka though. But hey, if it works for you, awesome.

Did you get a chance to get a Kamoa fiberglass case for your Kamaka?

Are the strings still dark brown-ish coloured? Because the last time i played a Kamaka Tenor with their stock strings which are dark brown-ish, they sounded..Muted.

Just curious :)

The ones that came with mine look black, to me.

My replacement concert (due tomorrow) I had them leave the Kamaka strings just to see if I liked them. Great info, thanks. Always heard they were GHS.

TB

Just noticed this post from the official Kamaka Hawaii Facebook page from March 10th: "Kamaka Hawaii-
Strings significantly alter the sound and feel of your ukulele. Over the years we have tried numerous brands of strings on our ukes. We highly recommend our own strings for your Kamaka ukulele. Kamaka strings are made specially for us by D'Addario."

So you got your tenor? Pictures please! :)

I did :D When I can put it down I'll post some photos :)

Did you get a chance to get a Kamoa fiberglass case for your Kamaka?

No, he shipped the first batch to Elderly. They have 4 latches and a movable hygrometer in them :)

Just noticed this post from the official Kamaka Hawaii Facebook page from March 10th: "Kamaka Hawaii-
Strings significantly alter the sound and feel of your ukulele. Over the years we have tried numerous brands of strings on our ukes. We highly recommend our own strings for your Kamaka ukulele. Kamaka strings are made specially for us by D'Addario."

D'Addario makes so many strings. All Gibson strings are made by D'Addario, as well as many other brands.

No wonder they seemed so close to the cheap J53s. :eek: Luckily most Kamakas sound great even with the stock strings, but they really sing with fluorocarbons.

Top Bottom