DGBE Tuning on Tenor Uke?

Know1

Reaction score
I'm looking for a uke to start my 5-year old son on. I want it small enough to handle, but tuned like a guitar (so I can play it without having to relearn chords and so he can transfer to guitar easier).

I know baritones are normally tuned DGBE, but they are a little larger than what I wanted, are generally more expensive, and harder to find.

Can I tune a tenor uke to DGBE? I'm assuming I'd need special strings???

Any help would be appreciated!

you can but the strings will be pretty loose, like the close to you song I got, LU21T tuned close to DGBE.

Wow, very nice. I wouldn't have guessed that it was tuned down. Doesn't sound buzzy, like you might expect. Do you use standard tenor strings for this tuning? I wonder if I used a custom set of strings, would I get the proper tension, and if so, which strings?

i used the regular strings,

you would want a larger diameter string like the bari, but I wouldnt put it on a tenor for obvious reasons.

I think wound low g and wound c would do it.

My husband plays a tenor tuned to dGBE. They are Aquila strings, Tenor-Guitar Tuning. We may have used another E string from a second set to replace the low D, for re-entrant tuning.

You can hear him playing his tenor on our YouTube channel. :music:

tenor tune

I have a tenor Lani that I tuned like that with AQUA strings and LOVE IT. It is a great mix of the "UKE" island sound and the deep richness of a bari or a guitar. It is great for small hands as well. It is a perfect idea you have there. I did the same with my daughter after she complained about her student guitar being too complicated for her fingers.

even if its tuned gcea just pretend they are the bottom four strings of a guitar, then you can form your chords the same way, they just have a diferent name

Thanks, all!

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I really would like the actual DGBE notes, since there would be times we'd want to play accompanied by other instruments.

Deach, those strings will be perfect!

Once again, thanks. . .

Another option is to just use the 2, 3, 4, 5 strings from a light-gauged classical guitar string set, they'll tune to DGBE on a tenor-scaled uke without much noticeable difference in string tension (they'll be a little-bit loose). They'll feel thicker than a standard uke set (because they are...) and you'll have two wound strings, but it'll get the job done quickly--you can get a set at any music store and won't have to wait for the strings to come in the mail

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I really would like the actual DGBE notes, since there would be times we'd want to play accompanied by other instruments.

Deach, those strings will be perfect!

Once again, thanks. . .

Last edited:
Top Bottom