PDA

View Full Version : DGBE Tuning on Tenor Uke?

Know1
07-21-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm looking for a uke to start my 5-year old son on. I want it small enough to handle, but tuned like a guitar (so I can play it without having to relearn chords and so he can transfer to guitar easier).

I know baritones are normally tuned DGBE, but they are a little larger than what I wanted, are generally more expensive, and harder to find.

Can I tune a tenor uke to DGBE? I'm assuming I'd need special strings???

Any help would be appreciated!

Guting
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
you can but the strings will be pretty loose, like the close to you song I got, LU21T tuned close to DGBE.

Know1
07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Wow, very nice. I wouldn't have guessed that it was tuned down. Doesn't sound buzzy, like you might expect. Do you use standard tenor strings for this tuning? I wonder if I used a custom set of strings, would I get the proper tension, and if so, which strings?

Guting
07-21-2008, 03:42 PM
i used the regular strings,

you would want a larger diameter string like the bari, but I wouldnt put it on a tenor for obvious reasons.

I think wound low g and wound c would do it.

SailQwest
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
My husband plays a tenor tuned to dGBE. They are Aquila strings, Tenor-Guitar Tuning. We may have used another E string from a second set to replace the low D, for re-entrant tuning.

You can hear him playing his tenor on our YouTube channel. :music:

stevedunkel
07-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I have a tenor Lani that I tuned like that with AQUA strings and LOVE IT. It is a great mix of the "UKE" island sound and the deep richness of a bari or a guitar. It is great for small hands as well. It is a perfect idea you have there. I did the same with my daughter after she complained about her student guitar being too complicated for her fingers.

deach
07-23-2008, 05:09 AM
Try these strings

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUILA-Tenor-guitar-Bari-tuning-set-for-tenor-ukulele_W0QQitemZ330255383263QQcmdZViewItem?hash=i tem330255383263&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

uke142464
07-23-2008, 06:33 AM
even if its tuned gcea just pretend they are the bottom four strings of a guitar, then you can form your chords the same way, they just have a diferent name

Know1
07-24-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone.

I really would like the actual DGBE notes, since there would be times we'd want to play accompanied by other instruments.

Deach, those strings will be perfect!

Once again, thanks. . .

Keonikapila
07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Another option is to just use the 2, 3, 4, 5 strings from a light-gauged classical guitar string set, they'll tune to DGBE on a tenor-scaled uke without much noticeable difference in string tension (they'll be a little-bit loose). They'll feel thicker than a standard uke set (because they are...) and you'll have two wound strings, but it'll get the job done quickly--you can get a set at any music store and won't have to wait for the strings to come in the mail

Thanks for your input, everyone.

I really would like the actual DGBE notes, since there would be times we'd want to play accompanied by other instruments.

Deach, those strings will be perfect!

Once again, thanks. . .