Good material for self teaching?

cephalofeet

Reaction score
Hallo everyone! Brand new to the forums and newer still to the ukulele. I've been self teaching myself on and off for about 6 months with my cheap-o pineapple uke now. I can see myself playing for the rest of my life. It's really turning into an obsession and it's my first instrument too!

Here's the ?: I've been learning from some great resources on youtube (Aldrine, Uke Mike, etc.) But I was just wondering if there are any great books that everyone is unanimous on. I'm really getting into classical fingerpicking and the folkier the better. I have a basics book that someone threw me, but it's incredibly dumbed down. Feel like i need something a bit more at my reading level haha. Any recommendations would be mega awesome.

I have picked up some of the more popular books like fretboard roadmaps but the thing is I wonder at their ultimate usefulness. If you could be disciplined enough to follow the program, then that would be one thing, and you would learn the contents of the book. But on the other hand, I have been attending my son playing piano since he was 5, and he is going to be thirteen this month. What the teachers do is require learning songs. So, I also stumbled upon a path by a guy who is named like 21 something and he basically said, have a set of songs you are working on and when you get them down, put them in your repertoire. I think for me, that may be the path. I don't know the usefulness for me of being able to read music and play it necessarily. Like a lady here in TN was asked, "can you read music?" and she said "yeah but I dn't let it mess up my playin' or something like that. Even when my son was beginning the piano, it became clear that to hear the music was more important than to read the music, so I would recommend learning by hearing and playing rather than reading and playing as much as possible, but that is just my philosophy. I don't have it down and am a beginner too. Obviously it would be great to be able to hear and hear in the mind and have it come out on the fingertips. Ultimately that would be the best. But the communication takes place with music sheets and tab sheets etc. .... I don't know, just dive in and do your best like you are doing i suppose. Dang, if I could get a real good teacher I think I would.

Books, CD's/DVD's, the i-net are all good resources.
Group classes are an excellent way to learn as well.
I favor classes because they get you some formal instruction and also get introduced to playing with others.
There are community center classes popping up almost every community. I encourage you to join a local club/group/jam in you area as well.
The ukulele is a very social instrument, playing with others will improve your playing many fold.

uuu

throw down some scratch for uu university. you can watch lessons as many times as you like and ask questions during live lessons. after the tululele, and perhaps loop station, best money i ever spent. my two cents. jc

google GOOD CAT'S EAT ANTS
or maybe someone on here has a link to it
great online book by UU member

Try searching for the thread about Pekelo's Hawaiian Fingerpicking books here on UU. I found fretboard roadmaps too difficult as a beginner (which I still am) but Pekelo's book is simpler to work with. Not dumbed down at all, just starting with useable/useful material for a beginner. I'm still working on vol 1 and I lile the book and cd. Don't get a book without a cd. You need to hear how it's supposed to sound when you're trying to learn a new passage or technique.

That said, find a local uke group or class immediately! It is so fun to play with a group. The suggestion of learning songs and adding them to your repertoire is a really good idea too. Keep strummin!

Start a little group.

I had a problem with 'book learning' so I used Uke Minutes...Then, as I progressed I advertised for other players to join me.
The idea was to learn from each other. A number of people started to ask if I might teach ukulele. A group was started and I prepared basic lessons.
We call it a workshop...Other players have improved and come back with
greater abilities and are passing on skills.
I'm not the greatest player but I really get satisfaction in encouraging others
and watching their development. I Should have become a teacher but became a Police Officer in stead.
We as a group have just won an award to buy 12 ukuleles for those interested to practice on.
Bottom line learn from each other and use Uke minutes (more than books) as a resource
Thanks Aldrine.

Wow thanks for all the great replies everyone. My goal is definitely to get involved with some workshops and socialize, but there aren't alot of classes going on around here too often in this part of Pennsylvania. I have to keep my ear to the ground. I def need to get books with CDs which is a great suggestion, Marymac. Pekelo's books seem pretty good.

Yeah i think i'm at the point right now where i have to step up my playing and learning. I'll get the UU University probably. With that and the new Lanikai S-T i'm picking up this week, I won't feel like i'm plateauing at the early beginner level so much. Thanks for all your great suggestions everyone. Looks like this forum will be a great resource as well!

Top Bottom