Replacing Strings on first Ukulele

dinamo

Reaction score
Hey! I am replacing the stock strings on my Lanikai LU-21 with Worth Strings. I ordered some from MGM on ebay, 42 Inch Clear strings and I don't know how to install them. Here are pictures of my current ukulele

IMG_2257.jpg

IMG_2258.jpg

IMG_2259.jpg

Thanks alot for any help. I'm a complete newbie to this so I don't know what I'm doing. Do I have to cut the 42 inch string in half? so I have two sets of strings from this pack.

Miro

i may be reading your post wrong. or rather, interpreting it wrong. i'll give my two cents anyway. sorry if this is all stuff you already know. i suppose i dont really understand what you're asking 100%.

replacing the strings are quite simple. unwind them, and take out the strings completely. lace the new strings through the holes at the bottom of the uke in order. same with any strings, really. you do a twist mostion (i usually go about five to seven twists in the strings), and pull. then lace it through the hole in the tuners, and wind it up until it's tuned.

if each string is as long as you state, and you have all four strings.. i would just go ahead and lace it, and trim it after the ukulele is stringed. then you will have extra string for later. i suppose you can cut prior, as well.. though i never like that because i always have the fear of cutting the strings too short or too long...

hope this helped?
like i said, i didnt really understand your question fully.
ah!

:D

Dinamo,

I just replaced my first set of strings as well. I watched and read the same article that Deach pointed out. It was quite easy. The strings at the saddle end were a lot easier than I thought to make look nice. I also took the opportunity to sand down the saddle just a bit to improve the playability at the higher frets.

Just watch the Uke minutes and you will do fine.

Do I have to cut the 42 inch string in half? so I have two sets of strings from this pack.

Miro
Yes, Worth strings is a double set package long enough to make two sets of strings.

Between Aldrine and Nukedoc, I was able to string my first stringed instrument thanks to them. The only thing they don't cover is pin bridges, but I'm only saying that because I recently found out my knots suck for pin bridges. :)

I wouldn't cut the strings before restringing. Might be too short for the 2nd set. I was given a "second" set of Worth's and they were too small for my concert. I am hoping they'll fit on the flea. Be careful. But -- it's not too hard to restring them. Also -- if it's your first time, maybe restring one at a time. That way if something goes wrong (like the strings get mixed up?) you'll be in better shape.

I wouldn't cut the strings before restringing. Might be too short for the 2nd set. I was given a "second" set of Worth's and they were too small for my concert. I am hoping they'll fit on the flea. Be careful. But -- it's not too hard to restring them. Also -- if it's your first time, maybe restring one at a time. That way if something goes wrong (like the strings get mixed up?) you'll be in better shape.

Words of wisdom. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Top Bottom