PDA

View Full Version : On ukulele models vs. strings.

NikkiFierce
03-17-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, I just had a question about uke models vs. Strings. Being a beginner I have quite the inexpensive model (Ariana), and I wanted to change its strings to better ones. Are strings the only thing that improve its sound, or is it worth buying a more expensive model in the future?

thank you in advance for all your help!

britta

hungry4adobo
03-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Actually Strings really do affect the sound and if you get a good brand as Worth, Aquila, or Koolous you will probably get a better sound.

mm stan
03-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, I just had a question about uke models vs. Strings. Being a beginner I have quite the inexpensive model (Ariana), and I wanted to change its strings to better ones. Are strings the only thing that improve its sound, or is it worth buying a more expensive model in the future?

thank you in advance for all your help!

britta
Aloha Britta,
Upgrading your factory strings will give you a big improvement it sound, intonation,
and playability and comfort..For a richer tone, maybe worth browns or Martins are nice,
and a brighter and louder..go with Aquilla's....as for strings, every has their own preference, and same strings on different ukes can sound completely different..best is
to try them out and see what you like...as for upgrading to a better ukulele, it is always
better...for sound, intonation, playability, and comfort...plus you probally will get less
fustrated and learn quicker...Get the best you can comfortably afford...Have fun and
enjoy...Happy Strummings.. MM Stan:):)

bazmaz
03-18-2011, 04:20 AM
Strings will improve a cheap ukulele no end, but only as far as the limits of that instrument will allow. When you bear in mind that you can spend sums like $1000 on a ukulele, you can imagine that they improve quite a bit.

All of that said, beyond a certain point its a case of diminishing returns and you are paying for exotic woods and fancier finishes only. There are some superb ukuleles in the beginner price range, and many recording artists perform with ukes at the cheaper end of the scale.

As for strings - with a very cheap instrument, Aquilas stand a good chance of improving it. If the uke has a laminate top, then Aquilas have the knack of really driving them. That said, strings are a bugbear of mine, because I am forever shouting at people that there is no one set of strings that works with every uke - you need to try a few and stick to what works well to YOUR ears.

Would certainly try Aquila or Worth first though.