PDA

View Full Version : jazzy glen rose

slimbob
03-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Is the Glen Rose "Jazzy Ukulele Workbook" too complicated for a motivated beginner?

I am just now getting the Major, minor, 7th chords down. But I really like jazz songs on the uke.

I would appreciate any feedback you have. slimbob

ukulelecowboy
03-18-2011, 10:01 AM
The nice thing about the Glen Rose Method is that it allows you to work through chord progressions with only two or three different chord shapes. The shapes are not difficult to learn. However, the chord changes do require some experience with moving up and down the fretboard fairly quickly as a muscle-memory tamed fretting hand.

You might want to check out some of his training videos on YouTube. They are really quite good and I think that you will get a real sense of what you are and are not capable of at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdMgZIbLq9c

lkdumas
03-19-2011, 06:59 AM
I have both Glen Rose books (Jazzy Uke and Classic Standards) and would be classified as an "early intermediate" player; however, IMO, the books are not too complicated for a beginner using a phased approach. Phase one: just follow the instructions for chord fingering and progression without any concern about key, theory, etc., and just enjoy the sound after a little practice. Phase two: start the process of understanding the chord structure and the fretboard roadmap and work it a little at a time. You won't be sorry.