Pono MCD Re-Fret.

GKK

Reaction score
Has anyone every done a re-fret on a Pono Ukulele?

I ordered some ukulele fret wire from Hana Lima but, when it arrived I noticed it was a lot wider (.073") and the tang was (.022") which was a lot wider than the original fret wire.

I called Ko'olau in Hawaii and they told me to use the narrow fret wire from Stew Mac since it is (.053") wide. The only thing is, the Stew mac fret wire has a (0.23") wide tang and since the slightly smaller width Hana Lima fret wire was a tight fit, I'm thinking the Stew Mac wire might be tight also.

I'd like to know what size fret wire others with Pono ukes have used without having to recut the slots. Thanks

Last edited:
After looking at the different Pono ukes at the local music store, I'm going to install the thicker fret wire which should make my Pono Concert more enjoyable to play. I should be able to tap the slightly thicker fret wire into place without too much difficulty. Thanks

Last edited:
I can't recut the slots because the edges are bound and have a high gloss finish. The thicker wire is a little easier to play some bared chords for me anyways.

The new frets are in and everything is Great!

Top Bottom