PDA

View Full Version : Buying Ukulele in US - risks with transport? -from Germany-

Lilith
03-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Hi,

I hope it's okay to start this thread! I'm from Bavaria in Germany and I wanted to buy my ukulele in the US, because the ukuleles you can get here in Germany are too cheap (20 $) or too expensive. I fell in love with the Kala KA-S, I think it's a good choice to begin with. In Germany, this ukulele is 79 €, which is 111 $. In the US, the price is 63 $ !

I wouldn't have it delivered by USPS etc.; my mother is flying to the US next week because her partner was living in California until last year. The ukulele could be sent to his familiy's adress and my mother would take it home to Germany in the hand baggage.

Now I've only got one question: are there much risks with this "method"? Could the ukulele be damaged in the hand baggage? I'm sure it could be repaired in Germany, too, but I just wanted to know how likely it is to be damaged. My mother would carry it in a bag.

Also, I don't think the ukulele will have a setup at this price. Can I simply go to a local ukulele dealer (unfortunately, Kala isn't sold in Bavaria) and let it get done? Will this be expensive?

:)

Greetings from Bavaria
P.S.: I'm starting with ukulele because I had to give up playing the guitar a few years ago - my fingers were too short for some chords, it was really annoying. I hope I won't have this problem with a soprano ukulele :D

RyanMFT
03-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Hello, and welcome to UU!

I bet you will love playing ukulele!

As far as carrying a ukulele on a plane, many of us have done it many times. Do you mean your mother would carry it on the plane, not put it in a checked bag? If she carries it on the plane it should be ok if she is careful. It would be better to put it in a hard case and carry it on. If that is not possible, perhaps a padded gig bag. However, gig bags only really protect from minor bumps. I love the Kala padded gig bag which has backpack straps.

Good luck, let us know what you decide to do! Oh, I would also have your mom pick up a clip on tuner such as Kala's clip on tuner....then you are good to go. Set up should be fair but could likely be improved when it gets home. I would cross the bridge when I come to it though....

pdxuke
03-18-2011, 09:08 AM
Herzlich Willkommen!

I am guessing your mother will fly Lufthansa to and from München? You may want to check with the airline to see the policy on carrying on musical instruments. A soprano is small, and if it is in a padded gig bag it will have a very small footprint. My memory of Lufthansa overhead bins is that they are very spacious, so if your mother is careful you will probably be fine.

I second Ryan's suggestion of a clip on tuner. Depending upon availability of the brand of strings you like, you might have her also pick up an extra set.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen,

Thom

Lilith
03-18-2011, 09:21 AM
Thank you for the answers :)

Okay, so I'll buy a gigbag and a tuner, too. Should I order these things from the dealer at Amazon, too, or are they available in every music store? She'll visit Adelanto, CA. Because of strings - I'll look how the prices are in the US and in Germany, I'll see it it's good to buy a second set of strings. :) The Kala KA-S comes with Aquila Nylgut strings, as far as I know - they should be fine, I think. Should I take any tuner or a special one?

@ pdxuke:
Yes, she'll fly from Munich and back to Munich. I guess it will be Lufthansa, yes. Are you from Germany or do you speak german?

Thank you for your nice help :)

pondweed
03-18-2011, 09:33 AM
why dont you spend a few more Euro and get a decent basic Bruko from your homeland. Less hassle for your mother... and you'll have a far better instrument, perhaps?

pdxuke
03-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Thank you for the answers :)

Okay, so I'll buy a gigbag and a tuner, too. Should I order these things from the dealer at Amazon, too, or are they available in every music store? She'll visit Adelanto, CA. Because of strings - I'll look how the prices are in the US and in Germany, I'll see it it's good to buy a second set of strings. :) The Kala KA-S comes with Aquila Nylgut strings, as far as I know - they should be fine, I think. Should I take any tuner or a special one?

@ pdxuke:
Yes, she'll fly from Munich and back to Munich. I guess it will be Lufthansa, yes. Are you from Germany or do you speak german?

Thank you for your nice help :)

The gig bag may not be available in every music store. Chromatic tuners are, but the one Ryan is speaking of may not be. You may want to check with the store where your mother would be buying the uke.

I am not a native speaker, I know very little German, despite the fact my great grandfather came to America from Berlin in 1909. My son is a fluent speaker: he majored in German at University of Washington and spent over a year studying at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München. He now works for Amazon.com in the German fraud investigation division. I spent eleven days with him when he was studying-- I stayed at the Studentenstadt with him, and we enjoyed the English Gardens and the City together. It is a very happy memory and I'm very much in love with München!

Lilith
03-18-2011, 09:38 AM
I can't afford a Brüko ukulele; they all start at 115 €. The Kala KA-S will cost me 44,56 €. That's a huge difference ;) I'm still pupil (not much longer, because I have my final exams this week) and I don't have much money...

@ pdxuke: my mother won't buy it in a store, I'll order it at Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-S-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B00172UV6S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ) at it will be delivered to the adress of her partner's family in Adelanto. ;) So I guess it will be better to order the gigbag and the tuner together with the uke?

I didn't know you can major in German in the US ... good to know, haha, but I guess it's very expensive? Munich is a beautiful city, although it's totally expensive to live there. I understand that you love it :) I live 1-2h away from Munich, at the border to Austria.

P.S.: I hope my english is okay, I'll write my final exam in English, too, haha ... :D

pdxuke
03-18-2011, 09:43 AM
I can't afford a Brüko ukulele; they all start at 115 €. The Kala KA-S will cost me 44,56 €. That's a huge difference ;) I'm still pupil (not much longer, because I have my final exams this week) and I don't have much money...

Good luck with your final exams! The uke will be a nice reward!

Lilith
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Thank you :) I wrote the first one today, my hand hurts, haha ...
look at my last post! ;) it's edited

RyanMFT
03-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Your English is GREAT! Here is a link to a tuner like I am talking about on Amazon. The Kala tuner is exactly the same but a few dollars more.
http://www.amazon.com/Aroma-AT-300U-Clip-On-Chromatic-Tuner/dp/B003HNNNBK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1300478354&sr=8-3

Here is the Kala;
http://www.amazon.com/KALA-Kala-KC02-Clip-on-Tuner/dp/B003YVRBQI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300478354&sr=8-1

Here is a link to the gig bag I like....with two shoulder straps. They make the same bag without the embroidered Kala on it for a few dollars less too, but I can't find it while I am ducking out from work!
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_DUBSK%20Deluxe%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Gig%2 0Bag_-1_10052_10002_-49952409?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Acoustic%20Guitar%20Gig%20Bags-_-DUBSK%20Deluxe%20Soprano%20Ukulele%20Gig%20Bag-_-KDUBSKXXX

mds725
03-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Hi Lilith, and welcome to UU.

If you're going to order an ukulele online and have it sent to a US address, you might consider ordering from musicguymic, who has an eBay store (as well as a shop in Oahu), and is a UU member. He sets up all of his ukuleles before shipping them, upgrades the strings to Aquilas, and could probably supply you with a gig bag and clip-on tuner as well. He doesn't have a Kala KA-S ilisted at his eBay store at the moment, but he often doesn't list all the ukuleles he has available and he can sometimes get ukuleles people want but he doesn't have in stock. Unfortunately, he isn't as cheap as amazon.com, but you get the benefit of an ukulele that's lready set up. It might be worth contacting him.
Here's the link to his eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room. Here's his email address: musicguymic@aol.com

You could also email UU member Mim, who also sells ukuleles on eBay, at MimOnTheUke@aol.com. She doesn't have any Kala KA-S ukes in her eBay store, but she is a Kala distributor and maybe she could find one for you.

Both musicguymic and Mim ship to California. Mim offers free shipping on all the ukuleles in her eBay store, musicguymic does on many of the ukuleles in his eBay store.

Good luck with your purchase! I've played the KA-S (although soprano is not my favorite size) and it sounds very nice.

Mark

P.S. Cool avatar.

RyanMFT
03-18-2011, 10:33 AM
I second everything mds725 said!

Lilith
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
@ RyanMFT:

Thank you for the links :) the first tuner isn't available at the moment, so I'll take the Kala Tuner, I guess. Could I take the following gigbag, too?
http://www.amazon.com/Kala-Soprano-Ukulele-Gig-Bag/dp/B0017I2CPA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&m=A2DQ6SL0SOX2YW&s=generic&qid=1300477923&sr=1-8
By taking the KA-S, this gigbag and the Kala Tuner, I could order all the items from the same Amazon seller. It will be sent by Amazon.

@ mds725:

I already checked out Musicguymic's ebay site :) I'll ask him if there is a KA-S in his stock recently. The only thing is: will delivery be soon enough? Because it should arrive until the first of April. Two, three days more would be okay, too, but it shouldn't take longer. Same question for Mim, I guess it will take longer if she has to order it first?
How long will the setup from Musicguymic last? (Perhaps a dumb question, but hey, I'm a newbie ;) ).

http://cgi.ebay.com/UKADELICS-KALA-RED-PAISLEY-SOPRANO-UKULELE-new-/330542545353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5def9c9 This one looks pretty cool! Comes with a gigbag, too ... but I can't afford 15$ delivery AND a tuner ): why can't money grow on trees, haha ...
Nice avatar too, it's from a film, isn't it? Can't remember which one ...

Thank you all for your nice help! You really help me a lot :)

mds725
03-18-2011, 11:18 AM
I already checked out Musicguymic's ebay site :) I'll ask him if there is a KA-S in his stock recently. The only thing is: will delivery be soon enough? Because it should arrive until the first of April. Two, three days more would be okay, too, but it shouldn't take longer. Same question for Mim, I guess it will take longer if she has to order it first?
How long will the setup from Musicguymic last? (Perhaps a dumb question, but hey, I'm a newbie ;) ).

Both Mike and Mim are a pleasure to work with (I've bought ukuleles from both of them). They can ship quickly. One of my ukuleles from Mike got to California two days after I ordered it. As you pointed out, it's just a matter of finding an ukulele to ship. If you let them know what your time concerns are, I'm sure they'll let you know whether they can help or not.

Another option for you might be to contact a music store in the Los Angeles area (or Huntington Beach) that sells Kala ukuleles. It would probably be cheap and quick to get an ukulele from LA to Adelanto, which I believe is not that far from LA. If you want to find ukulele shops near LA, you can check out this list http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?16519-Ukulele-Stores-USA or you can check out the store locator at Kala's website http://www.kalaukulele.com/Dealers_UnitedStates.aspx. Too bad your mom doesn't want to visit San Francisco. There's a music shop not far from me called Music Works in El Cerrito (across the bay from SF) that almost always has a Kala KA-S in stock.

Still, probably the easiest thing to do would be to get everything from the same amazon seller. I've heard that Kala ukuleles are well made and that they don't need to be adjusted for string height (also known as action) as much as other ukuleles in that price range, so a Kala you buy at amazon.com is likely to be easy to play as one that's been set up.

Mike describes "setup" at his eBay store as leveling and polishing the frets, waxing and oiling the fretboards, and adjusting the saddle and nut (which determines how close to the fretboard the strings are and affects playability). After a lot of playing time, a fretboard will need to be cleaned and the fret wires may eventually wear down, but saddle and nut adjustment should last through several sets of strings. It's also nice that Mike and Mim swap out stock strings for better ones.

I've always liked Jiminy Cricket (from Pinocchio), but I began using him as an avatar at UU when I discovered that the original voice of Jiminy Cricket was supplied by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards.

Ken Middleton
03-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Make sure you check what the customs allowance is from the US to Germany. If you don't, you may have to pay 19% VAT.

The idea that every new instrument needs to have a "set-up" is something that has been invented by this forum. It just isn't true. Get it home and see if it needs any adjustment.

Lilith
03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Both Mike and Mim are a pleasure to work with (I've bought ukuleles from both of them). They can ship quickly. One of my ukuleles from Mike got to California two days after I ordered it. As you pointed out, it's just a matter of finding an ukulele to ship. If you let them know what your time concerns are, I'm sure they'll let you know whether they can help or not.

Still, probably the easiest thing to do would be to get everything from the same amazon seller. I've heard that Kala ukuleles are well made and that they don't need to be adjusted for string height (also known as action) as much as other ukuleles in that price range, so a Kala you buy at amazon.com is likely to be easy to play as one that's been set up.
I think I'll buy the ukulele at Amazon or at Musicguymic's. I recently fell in love with the Kala Red Paisley Soprano Ukulele, haha, is this ukulele as good as the KA-S? But nah, I don't have so much money :(

Mike describes "setup" at his eBay store as leveling and polishing the frets, waxing and oiling the fretboards, and adjusting the saddle and nut (which determines how close to the fretboard the strings are and affects playability). After a lot of playing time, a fretboard will need to be cleaned and the fret wires may eventually wear down, but saddle and nut adjustment should last through several sets of strings. It's also nice that Mike and Mim swap out stock strings for better ones.
Wow, sounds great! Perhaps I'll take the Red Paisley Ukulele ... would be ~ 30 $ more (with shipping & tuner) than the Kala KA-S with a gigbag and a tuner and delivery by Amazon. My mother just thinks that the KA-S will be enough to begin with; but I think that I don't want to spend my money on an ukulele, and then, after a few months, spend even more money on a better one with setup. I don't know what to take, haha ...

I've always liked Jiminy Cricket (from Pinocchio), but I began using him as an avatar at UU when I discovered that the original voice of Jiminy Cricket was supplied by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards.
Pinocchio! :) Haha nice info! I love animated films ...

@ Ken Middleton: thanks for the info :) yep, I'll look! But I could live with the 19%. I think my mother would pay it, haha ... still cheaper than buying it here in Germany (where Kala ukuleles aren't available in most of the stores).

Plainsong
03-18-2011, 01:51 PM
Southern Ukulele Store on Ebay has a great reputation and they do setups. Here's an Ohana in your price range that we will setup if need be. I don't think setup is an idea that is unique to UU. It's an ongoing subject for all fretted instrument players from my experience. It's just one of those things. Sometimes you need it, sometimes not, and it's just a routine thing. Will it be unplayable when you get it? Probably not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ohana-SK10S-Soprano-Ukulele-set-up-Aquila-strings-/320662623937?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item4aa8fb56c1

Ohana is well thought of. Just ask Ken. :D

Have you tried Thomann?

http://www.thomann.de/de/cat.html?gf=ukulelen&oa=pra

True, the Kala isn't there, but Lanikai has one at about the €49 range.

Also ukebox.fr has lots in that price range! Makala is a brand of Kala, and I had good luck with a Makala concert I got my mother-in-law for Christmas. I'd have taken it if she didn't want it.

http://www.ukebox.fr/36-moins-de-30-euros

I've ordered from these guys, and they're great:

http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it/en/home.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=2

Lilith
03-19-2011, 12:37 AM
http://www.mercatinodellukulele.it/en/home.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=ilvm_fly_admirable.tpl&product_id=435&category_id=2
Haha, this one looks adorable! But can it really sound good this way?

Unfortunately, the ukes available in Europa are too expensive for me. When an ukelele costs 80 € in Europe, it only costs ~ 45 € in the US. That's why I want to order it there. ;) And of course I know Thomann. :) But they, too, are more expensive than the same ukes in the US ...

Can somebody tell me if the Red Paisley uke sounds better than the KA-S?

greenway
03-19-2011, 01:31 AM
You can always have a look here http://www.ukulele.de/menu/

sonicbaker
03-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Can somebody tell me if the Red Paisley uke sounds better than the KA-S?

I bought a KA-S for my wife and I think it sounds (and plays) really great for the price. I have tried some of the Kala Ukadelics in the store a few times recently. I actually did not think they sounded as good as the KA-S, which costs less. The Ukadelics are all wood, but they seem to have a different build than the KA-S. I'd assume it is made with a different type of top than the KA-S in order to accept the printed graphic. But, hey...if the red paisley speaks to you, it is probably just a matter of degrees as far as sound quality goes, and I'm sure you would be happy with either.

Plainsong
03-19-2011, 02:21 AM
The Ohana was €49, I don't get how that's €80, but maybe that's just me. There was lots there int the €40 price range. There are ukes here, Kala isn't the only brand. Oh well, I tried.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 04:09 AM
The Ohana was €49, I don't get how that's €80, but maybe that's just me. There was lots there int the €40 price range. There are ukes here, Kala isn't the only brand. Oh well, I tried.
Em, what's the problem? I didn't say that the Ohana was 80€ ;) I know that there are many in the 40€ range, and the KA-S is to, but I think the KA-S will be better. ;) Don't know ...

Okay, then I'll take the KA-S! Thank you for your help, I hope it will be a good choice :)

Lilith
03-19-2011, 06:15 AM
http://www.austinbazaar.com/Kala-Exotic-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-p/KAL-KA-SEM.htm wow, that's cool, too ... is there a great difference in sound quality to the KA-S?

And I've heard the Kala clip on tuner is a bad quality. Is this true?

Ken Middleton
03-19-2011, 06:18 AM
http://www.austinbazaar.com/Kala-Exotic-Mahogany-Soprano-Ukulele-p/KAL-KA-SEM.htm wow, that's cool, too ... is there a great difference in sound quality to the KA-S?

And I've heard the Kala clip on tuner is a bad quality. Is this true?

Not really true. It is a nice looking tuner and easy to use. It is not quite a sensitive as some others, that's all.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 06:36 AM
Okay, thanks. So I can use it? :)

My order will be like this: Kala KA-S with Aquila Nylgut strings, Kala Gigbag, and Kala Tuner.

I hope it won't get damaged, because returning the items may be very difficult in Germany, haha ... but don't know where to buy now. I wrote Musicguymic, but he didn't answer until now. George's Music or Austin Bazaar?
Thanks for your help :) :)

RyanMFT
03-19-2011, 06:41 AM
MGM may be at the Reno Ukulele Festival....

I think you will be happy with the Kala uke, tuner, and bag. I find the Kala tuner works great for me.

dansche87
03-19-2011, 07:10 AM
hey lilith,

i'm from bavaria, too. which city do you live in?
did you already order the kala?

i would recommend you a makala dolphin. they are very nice, cheap, good sounding beginner ukes (in awesome colours).
i started with a makala soprano. it was a good uke but really ugly. so i got a dolphin 2 weeks later and was actually surprised that the cheaper uke sounded as good as the brown makala.
my point is get the dolphin for 30 euros because if you stick with the uke UAS will be setting in soon enough and you'll find yourself buying an even better, more expensive uke.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Hi, most of the time I live in Ratisbona! From where are you?

No, I didn't order it until now. Does the Makala Dolphin sound as good as the Kala KA-S, or will it be as "playable" as the KA-S? Because I don't think they will have a setup ... the Dolphins look cute, haha :D

pdxuke
03-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi, most of the time I live in Ratisbona! From where are you?

No, I didn't order it until now. Does the Makala Dolphin sound as good as the Kala KA-S, or will it be as "playable" as the KA-S? Because I don't think they will have a setup ... the Dolphins look cute, haha :D

If you buy from MGM, it will be instantly playable without any sort of adjustment necessary. I have 2 Dolphins, one set up by MGM, and one that I bought from a shop--where I played all of the dolphins they had until I found one that needed no adjustment.

Dolphins are terrific, fun instruments. In my opinion, Kala's Dolphins, and their novelty ukes like the Watermelon and Pineapple impress me more than their all wood ukes.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Buying from MGM sounds great, but I'd need an answer, haha :D my mother will be back in Germany on 10th of April, the uke has to arrive at Adelanto a few days earlier. I hope he will answer soon. I hope he'll have the Kala tuner and the gigbag available, too!
So I'll make a decision ... KA-S or a Dolphin, haha! The Dolphins look cute. Do they impress you more because they sound better?

I was in a music store in Germany today, they had a Kohala for 60€. It sounded okay, but I could get a KA-S for that price, too, and it would be cheaper (in the US) ... gnaah, I hate it when I have to decide! :D
http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-MAKALA-DOLPHIN-BRIDGE-UKULELE-SETUP-CHARCOAL-BLACK-/330537327498?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf58f5b8a Would this one be okay, too? Would I have to buy Aquila strings or wouldn't there be a difference?

What is really important to me, is that the uke sounds good!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-RED-SOPRANO-UKULELE-CASE-TUNER-STARTER-/250789590099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64397453 Or this one von MGM? The few $ more would be okay, but here I'd have to pay for shipping, too ...

dansche87
03-19-2011, 11:46 AM
i was born in ratisbona! lived in that area for 20 years than i moved to passau cause i'm studying there. I'm going to be back in ratisbona in the summer for an internship. maybe we could jam sometime, he.(i'm always looking for other uke players my age.)
do you know the little uke shop in ratisbona called ukulelefieber? maybe you could look there as well. i think they also have dolphins.
i haven't played the kala-s just a lanikai in the same price class. nonetheless i would say that a dolphin is all you need to start with the uke. i have yet to find a negative opinion on them from anyone. they are great little players and for 30 euros you can't go wrong. the only place (i'm aware of) in germany that sells them online is ukulele.de. i think you're safe to order from them. it saves your mother the hassle and you can return the uke more easily/ get it fixed (if needed) when you buy it in germany.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I was born in the near of Passau, haha! My family lives on the border to Austria, in Pocking, if you know it? :)
Yep, the Dolphin looks nice! I could get it from MGM with a setup and Aquila strings + hard case + tuner for 85 $. That's ~ 60 €, + delivery 19 $. But the ebay link will end in 3 hours, so I don't whether I should take it or not. Can Ukulelefieber do the setup as well? Plus the strings? I'm afraid that the lifetime of the Dolphin won't be too long ...

Aaah, I really don't know if I should take the KA-S or the Dolphin! Haha ...

greenway
03-19-2011, 12:19 PM
I started on a Savannah soprano...it still lives.
If you treat the Dolphin right it will serve you long and right :)
Plus, everyone should have a Dolphin! Fact.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Haha yep, I think I'll take a Dolphin! In yellow or red ... now the only problem is that MGM has to answer me, haha, so I can be sure it will be there until 1th / 5th of April! http://cgi.ebay.com/MAKALA-YELLOW-SOPRANO-UKULELE-CASE-TUNER-STARTER-/250789609036?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6439be4c Unfortunately it ends in 3h, but if he answers me, I will be able to buy it without ebay I guess?

dansche87
03-19-2011, 12:29 PM
yeah i know. the rest of my family now lives near deggendorf.
hm like i said i'm not sure if ukulelefieber has the dolphins. maybe you could phone them. and i'm sure they would set it up for you. kurt the owner is very nice.;)
if you buy the dolphin i wouldn't necessarily buy it from mgm. because it would be too expensive for someone who lives in germany. don't get me wrong mgm is great but you could get the dolphin much cheaper in germany. you don't really need a hard case for it cause it's only a cheap uke. most people buy it so they can leave it out in the open without having to worry if it gets a scratch or not.
it's not that hard to change the strings yourself, believe me if i can do it you can too. (there is a very helpful tutorial on that on youtube)
the dolphin is called a beater uke. people buy it to take it everywhere with them and with a low price like that i wouldn't worry about its lifespan. plus, like i said if you continue with the uke playing you WILL be getting a new uke soon. i own 3 ukes that i play constantly (plus 2 at my mothers house) and 2 other ukes that i've sold. it's fun to buy new ukes!;))

Lilith
03-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Deggendorf is such a nice city, I've been there for a few months. It's much more beautiful than Ratisbona ... more idyllic, haha, and it doesn't have that ugly "street and car" smell in the air like Ratisbona.

So I'll take a Dolphin! I'll call them monday, but if they won't have the Dolphin: will they make the setup on an uke too, when the uke wasn't sold from them? Is the setup as good as the one from MGM? Because I really want the uke to sound great, haha! It should be nice to hear, sweet and soft. What will the setup cost? Because if the uke costs 35 €, the strings... dunno... 10 €? and the tuner 15 €, it will be 60 €, and that's exactly the same price as the uke from MGM without delivery ...

dansche87
03-19-2011, 01:05 PM
good choice.;)

call them monday and ask. i think they would set it up for you even if you're not buying it from them. i don't think it'll cost that much. but you could ask them that on monday.
as for the offer from mgm it doesnt't matter that it'll end in 2 hours if nobody buys it it will be back up in no time.
if they don't sell the dolphin in ratisbona than you should buy it from mgm. you're right the price difference isn't that high between mgm and the german store if you need other things like strings and tuner as well.

Lilith
03-19-2011, 01:09 PM
Yep :) but I noticed that MGM didn't give ebay feedback on buyers since 11th of March? I'm a little afraid that the uke won't arrive until 10th of April :/ thank you for your help! Are you on bsmparty.de or facebook?

dansche87
03-19-2011, 01:18 PM
i do think it will arrive in time if you order it next week. from what i've heard mike is a very busy man so i can imagine it's tough to update the ebay feedback everyday.
i'm on facebook. wanna add me?;)

Lilith
03-19-2011, 02:03 PM
Give me the link ;D

Okay, haha, I'm so excited!

dansche87
03-20-2011, 12:19 AM
just sent you a pm:)

Fedoramann
03-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Lilith, there are several very good ukulele shops here in Germany. You can get proper adjusted ukes there. Try Hans, especially (hulaparty.de) or maunakeaukulele.de.de or ukulele.de - you'll find good budget ukes there.

Lilith
03-20-2011, 01:23 AM
Hi Fedoramann, thank you for your message :) I'll send hulaparty an email. Will the ukes from maunakeaukulele and ukulele.de be adjusted / have a setup, too?

Fedoramann
03-20-2011, 01:45 AM
Ask Jan whether he can do this for you, Rigk may be too busy for set up. Frag Jan, Telefon steht im Impressum. Ob Rigk dafür die Zeit hat, weiß ich nicht. Just call, einfach mal telefonieren :cool:

Lilith
03-21-2011, 01:04 AM
Ja, mach ich nachher mal - heut ist schon Montag, oder? :D

If I should buy the uke from MGM: it's an ebay offer to buy directly. The offer is ending soon, but MGM still doesn't answer on messages. Does he / Do they send the ukes although nobody is answering me? Can I buy the item and write that it has to be in Adelanto, CA, until 9th of April? And can I cancel it if it won't be there on ... e.g. 8th April?

Ken Middleton
03-21-2011, 01:08 AM
Don't forget the time in Hawaii is 11 hours behind you. Make sure you give him chance to answer. Failing that, why don't you phone him?

Lilith
03-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Haha didn't think of that! My mother will call him this evening, I can't because I only have my cellphone with me. Would be a little to expensive. I just hope that until this evening nobody will buy the uke, haha ...

Lilith
03-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I've ordered the Dolphin from MGM yesterday, my mother called him and he said that it will be there until 10th of April. He said I should sent him the adress via paypal and ebay mail, because ebay sends him my german adress with the 56 $ shipping costs.
I asked him for a paypal link for paying the costs of the uke and the shipping costs to California, I hope he'll answer, haha. If he doesn't, can I change the amount of the shipping costs in Paypal? Because ebay is redirecting me to a paypal link where I have to pay the 56 $ shipping costs ...

Ken Middleton
03-22-2011, 01:47 AM
I've ordered the Dolphin from MGM yesterday, my mother called him and he said that it will be there until 10th of April. He said I should sent him the adress via paypal and ebay mail, because ebay sends him my german adress with the 56 $ shipping costs.
I asked him for a paypal link for paying the costs of the uke and the shipping costs to California, I hope he'll answer, haha. If he doesn't, can I change the amount of the shipping costs in Paypal? Because ebay is redirecting me to a paypal link where I have to pay the 56 $ shipping costs ...

This is why it is much easier (and cheaper) to buy in Europe. Southern Ukulele Store, for instance, has got pretty much everything you could possibly want. Shopping in Europe is easier, shipping is cheaper and there is no VAT to pay. MGM is a great guy, but buying from the other side of the planet is not really sensible. If all you want is a Dolphin, they are available everywhere.

Lilith
03-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Yep, I know, but in Germany / Europe they'd cost exactly the same with a tuner and new strings, but without case. That's the tragic truth, somethings costs 40 $ in the US: it costs the same in Europe, just with a "€" instead of "$" ... even with VAT it's cheaper than buying here, and it has a setup. This Dolphin with setup, new strings, a case and a tuner costs me exactly the same like a "Kohala" soprano here, without the better strings, the case or a tuner!
It's the same with my cosmetics... e.g. a face cleanser: in the US it costs 7 $, in Germany it is 10 €?

But I agree with you, I wouldn't have bought it from MGM if my mother stayed at home. ;)

Plainsong
03-22-2011, 02:40 AM
But Southern Ukulele Store does setup if need be. That's what I don't get. We gave all these links for great ukes in your price range in Europe, but you're kind of tunnel visioned to see what you want. Not that I haven't bought plenty of ukes from MGM! It's just... what you want is available here. Ah well.. good luck overpaying I guess..

Lilith
03-22-2011, 03:01 AM
Southern Ukulele Store doesn't have the KA-S in their eBay, and I couldn't find the Dolphin, too. I don't see where you see overpaying, I could have bought the Ohana and it would have been ~81 $, too, PLUS 20 pounds (!) for shipping / delivery, but without the tuner and the case. So, why do you think this offer could be cheaper than the Dolphin?

Fedoramann
03-22-2011, 03:38 AM
http://ukulele.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p372_Makala-Delphin.html Gigbag included,

Lilith
03-22-2011, 04:34 AM
I know that offer, but I still would have to buy a tuner and other strings ...
In the end it was my decision and I bought it from MGM because I had the chance to, I don't think that it was a bad decision and I wanted an uke with setup where I can be sure that it plays well. How can that be a bad decision?

mds725
03-22-2011, 06:23 AM
Congratulations on your purchase! I hope everything works out okay with the logisitcs. What color is your dolphin?

By the way, last weekend was the Reno (Nevada) Ukulele Festival. I'm not sure if MGM was there, but he goes to many of the ukulele festivals in the western US, and it's possible he was traveling when you were trying to reach him.

Lilith
03-22-2011, 07:40 AM
Thank you :) I bought a yellow one!
Yep, that could be ... but since my mother could reach him via phone that's okay :) I'm so excited!

Gmoney
03-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Thank you :) I bought a yellow one!

Of course you did!! Yellow is the new black.

Congratulations on your new obsession!

Lilith
03-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Haha totally agree! :D Thanks :) I'm so excited, can't wait to have it here!