Tessie O'Shea's gold UB-4 for sale on eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jnobianchi

Reaction score
Wow it sure looks sweet....wonder how you authenticate if it was who they say it is...and what was the reason it wasn't played since 55??? hmmm
Looks like alot of intrested collectors for this one...wonder how it sounds for that price....isn't that what matters foremost...except a expensive
wall hanger....sheesh...

Good questions, all, Stan. I've found a photo of her playing this one, but she also played another UB-4 (a post 1930) and a flanged resonator model UB-3 (post 1930). So, this one would have been the oldest of the three I know she had. And yes, that's the question - why didn't she play it later? It may have been because the finish was shot and the plating was worn off, which it most certainly is. But again, all that matters is the sound; you can have the metal replated.

Yes - I do NEED this, Dave. :) But, I can't afford it. Definitely going north of $5K, and could go up to $8-9K easily.

I need to win the lottery. :D

Last edited:
Mahalo John,
It certainly looks like it's going in the range of a vintage martin 3 or 5K...way too rich for my blood too...ahh I wanted a (plectum)banjo, this would be my dream banjo..
I'm a former Upper West Side resident....79th and Amsterdam....close to Zabars.. MM Stan

Mahalo John,
It certainly looks like it's going in the range of a vintage martin 3 or 5K...way too rich for my blood too...ahh I wanted a (plectum)banjo, this would be my dream banjo..
I'm a former Upper West Side resident....79th and Amsterdam....close to Zabars.. MM Stan

I KNEW there was a reason I liked you, Stan! I'm a New Yorker too (I won't say ex, because we're never ex...)

Thom and Stan - and Dave, if you're game -

I'm planning on being there the whole weekend - We'll all have to go, and have a nice NY nosh, like some Zabars lox on some H&H bagels. :D

Well - that uke went for the surprisingly low, low price of $2,600. Weird. UB4/5 in very good condition have been going in the $3-4K range, and this has the famous previous owner. I guess Tessie just isn't that well remembered, and the economy is bad enough that no one's comfortable dropping more then $2.6K on an instrument they're going to have to renovate somewhat. Ahh well. The bright spot is that I came away from the weekend with a Gibson UB2 for $480 on eBay. Not a bad Sunday, after all! :)

Well - that uke went for the surprisingly low, low price of $2,600. Weird. UB4/5 in very good condition have been going in the $3-4K range, and this has the famous previous owner. I guess Tessie just isn't that well remembered, and the economy is bad enough that no one's comfortable dropping more then $2.6K on an instrument they're going to have to renovate somewhat. Ahh well. The bright spot is that I came away from the weekend with a Gibson UB2 for $480 on eBay. Not a bad Sunday, after all! :)

John you are going to have to move the a big house in the suburbs soon so you can house all your ukes!! Where are you keeping them all?
Congrats on a new uke.. can't wait to see it's debut!

I know, Carrie! I keep them all in a closet that houses some clothes and some other junk. They are starting to spill out. Something must be done, especially since we have only five closets in the entire apartment. Well, once the UB2 shows up, I'll be thrashing away, so you'll see it soon! :)

Wow that's not many closets! You will have to call in the organizer team... yikes.. I don't know what I would do without my basement.. it's the biggest closet in the world.. everything I don't know what to do with gets tossed down there.. Feel free to store a few ukes in there too. :)
Can't wait to hear it..

I couldn't believe it. I'm usually pretty good a predicting these outcomes to within 10%. I thought this one would go in the neighborhood of 6K. Anyway, congratulations on the UB2!

Bidding ended . . .
locked.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom