Ok, so now I'm thinking about a Banjo-Uke......

cb56

Reaction score
I'll have to save up for it but I'm thinking in the $350 range for instrument and case.
I think I want one with a closed back no resonator like the mainland or goldtone BUC or BUT :)o) I think the mainland is a concert neck and goldtone offers on with a tenor neck which appeals to me since I play tenor uke. But it says light gauge strings and a special knot for stringing. Also have seen reference to it as tight stringing? Not so sure I'd like that.
I don't need super loud and I don't want it to be heavy so that's why I don't want one with a resonator. I just want it to sound and play good.
I'm totally ignorant on the things of banjo, so suggestions corrections or any info will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Mainland banjolele but I've got a tenor Bean Sprout and don't notice anything odd about the tension of the strings. It may be tighter than what is on my traditional 'ukes but it's nothing I notice when playing.

I dig the banjolele...it offers a unique sound that can't be had from a standard 'uke.

Don't forget the Flea banjo uke coming out shortly. It may be available with tenor neck.

Gold Tone "Banjo Ukes" really not heavy (BUC, BUT types). Their Banjolele is heavy and the deluxe version with the resonator even more so. The Banjolele has a relatively heavy Tone Ring beneath the drum head. I have the Banjolele standard and love it! You can really adjust the sound type by tightening or loosening the drum head. Also, since it has open back, you can "mute" it or "open it up" by the way you hold it next to your body. I don't have the resonator kit yet, but probably will go ahead a purchase it to make it the "deluxe" in the future. Right now I don't reall want the increase volume. Good luck!

Gold Tone "Banjo Ukes" really not heavy (BUC, BUT types). Their Banjolele is heavy and the deluxe version with the resonator even more so. The Banjolele has a relatively heavy Tone Ring beneath the drum head. I have the Banjolele standard and love it! You can really adjust the sound type by tightening or loosening the drum head. Also, since it has open back, you can "mute" it or "open it up" by the way you hold it next to your body. I don't have the resonator kit yet, but probably will go ahead a purchase it to make it the "deluxe" in the future. Right now I don't reall want the increase volume. Good luck!

Uncle Tom, I must have played the Banjolele, and I must confess I thought they were all the same. What's the difference? I need some educatin'! :)

Uncle Tom, I must have played the Banjolele, and I must confess I thought they were all the same. What's the difference? I need some educatin'! :)

Big differences in construction and sound. Banjolele standard comes with open back (can add "kit" to make it Deluxe), Banjolele Deluxe has a wide Resonator with metal sound skirt and BU Series Banjo Ukes has solid wood back. Both Banjolele models have the heavy copper sound ring beneath the head.

Threads in UU by "Papa Tom" about his purchase of Banjo Uke. (He called it a Banjolele in most of his posts but it was the Soprano (BUS) model). The Banjolele is pretty much a copy of the most famous vintage Banjoleles? So I have been told.....

Top Bottom