What concert Uke should I get?

limegreengoats

Reaction score
So I started playing in December on a Lanikai LU-21 Soprano, but now I definitely feel like I'm ready to upgrade to bigger and better Ukes. (Plus, now that I know what a good ukulele sounds like, I just can't be satisfied with my beginner). I really want to try the concert size out.

I'm looking for a solid ukulele, preferably, nothing under $130 and preferably nothing to much over $250.

I've been browsing for a while but my lack of ukulele knowledge isn't helping me find one. I was considering the Oscar Schmidt Ou7 Concert, but I'm not sure how good it is.... Any reviews?

Also I'm seriously considering the Kala Flamed Spalted Maple... any reviews?

Please and thank you!
Happy Playing!

limegreen, you say you know what a good uke sounds like. I am curious which ones you liked? Maybe pick one of those?

I really like the Kala solid mahogany concert. It's all solid mahogany -- sides and back as well as top. I got one (my first ukulele!) for about $230 in late 2009. There's one on eBay for $259 (free shipping, though!). And here's the MGM YouTube sound sample video (although MGM doesn't have this ukulele in his eBay store right now). I haven't played a Kala flamed spalted maple. It has a solid spruce top, which can produce a brighter, less "traditional ukulele mellow" sound, and I believe the flamed spalted maple back and sides are laminate.

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to decide between the Ohana CK 35g and the CK 70g. Have only heard on youtube though, but the CK 35g sounds amazing for the money.

Aloha Phil,
I do have a Kala FMC (flamed maple body with a spruce top, concert) and it is very bright sounding. Maybe a different set of strings in place of the Aquilas may mellow it out, but I have'nt tried it yet. Good luck in your decision................BO............

I have a Flame Spalted Maple and I love it, but it is BRIGHT. Not loud bright, mine is a tenor and my Ohana Vita blows it away with volume, but bright.
Hard to compare to anything that I do not own because play time is limited in the local stores, but I will give it a go.
My solid Martin 3M (mahogany) and my Kala lacewood (solid- spruce top) both do an amazing job with mids, which can get muddy on some ukes (at least to my ear). They have amazing clarity as well, but the spalted maple does something that neither of them do, it has amazing highs. Probably why I bought it (that and it is pretty, and I got it for a steal).
When I play it, the high notes come forward like nothing else, although it is probably not fair to compare my sopranos to a tenor. Not sure, but the notes ring on the spalted maple. Think Johnny Marr (Smiths) and his guitar sound- those are the kind of notes I get from it. That and the sustain is very good- nearly as good as my baritone and that is pretty darn good.
Not ideal for every tune, but it has it's place for sure.
That and it is a great sounding uke I can hang on the wall (laminate sides) instead of stuff into a case like my solids. May not be for everyone though.
Hopefully some sense can be made from that...
any of the videos on Youtube seem to show exactly what I mean by the ringing tone-apparently the concert is pretty close in sound

Top Bottom