That's a might big uke

BR Ukuleles

Reaction score
Well not really, but a double bass.

Many of you might know I'm one of the Admins on the Australian / New Zealand Luthiers Forum and we're very lucky to have a member of the admin team who builds and restores double bass's.

A while ago Pete has posted a link to Matthews restoration of a Old French Double Bass which is still going on, and something I think everyone should have a look through as it's rare indeed you'll see someone with the skills let alone the desire to document the processes involved. There is some very inventive repairs being undertaken, and many of the skills and techniques are applicable to any sort of restoration / repair work.

Now Matthew is building another double bass to be ready for a competition in June. It's fascinating watching these monsters go together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Allen, I had lost the link and I was following this. Phenomenal rescue ( more of a serous rescue than a simple restore eh? ) work. Much appreciated. Think I'll go ahead and sign up for the forum while I'm watching.

Thanks Allen, I had lost the link and I was following this. Phenomenal rescue ( more of a serous rescue than a simple restore eh? ) work. Much appreciated. Think I'll go ahead and sign up for the forum while I'm watching.

A new bass is a serious investment for anyone, and one that old lovingly restored....well I suppose it does have a price, but in my books that instrument will be priceless.

That is one incredible restoration! I don't think I've ever seen an instrument that was in that bad of shape be resurrected so well. That guy has some serious repair skills!

I'm left scratching my head wondering how I'd tackle most of the tasks that Matthew undertakes. It's truly inspiring when you see how he breaks down a seemingly impossible job into manageable tasks, though be it those tasks still leave me in amazement at how well he executes them.

And there are a few tips and techniques that I've managed to incorporate into some repair work that I've been asked to do. You never know when you'll learn something new and useful.

Top Bottom