UU San Diego Workshop POST event.

BUGOY

Reaction score
heres some pics i took... great turn out! Im sure everyone learned something new. i know i did! :bowdown:
group.jpg

ag2.jpg

ryan1.jpg

Nice photos indeed. It's great to watch the pics and videos to taste the atmosphere a bit. I hope there is some video footage of this session as well.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of musicians before their major breakthrough that have this large of a community behind them? Pretty unique, I get the feeling.
What was the workshop about? Can you give a bit more "story" with the pics?

The seminars were awesome! I was getting a little worried as it crept up on 5:30 PM and there was still only a few people there. Suddenly at 5:45pm, BOOM the place filled and when 6:00pm rolled around we were out of chairs.

Thank you to everyone who attended. It was so humbling. Tonight should be awesome so if you're in SD come down to Mo's Island Grinds!

The seminars were awesome! I was getting a little worried as it crept up on 5:30 PM and there was still only a few people there. Suddenly at 5:45pm, BOOM the place filled and when 6:00pm rolled around we were out of chairs.

Thank you to everyone who attended. It was so humbling. Tonight should be awesome so if you're in SD come down to Mo's Island Grinds!

No doubt... I was stressin too Rayan... but slowly the masses came and the workshop was a great SUCCESS!! You guys brought the house down! Good times! We're definitely gonna have to keep in touch and bring you guys back for another one... or two... or three! YESSIRRR!!!!

oh yeah... did you guys finally try Carne Asada Fries/Chips, 5 rolled tacos sour cream n guacamole, Carne asada burrito or a real quesadilla? Fo reals... dat's San Diego's plate lunch! not that taco bell shoots... haha

Lastly, on behalf of the Pacific Arts Dance Studio and the Polynesian Underground... Mahalo nui loa to the Ukulele Underground! It was TRULY an honor for us to host your event and we wish you continued success!

See ya guys tonight! Mo's!!! UU represent!

WOW! What a night!

First, I would like to thank Joey and the Pacific Arts Studio, for hosting
this grand event! Y'all put a lot of time, money and effort into making this a
perfect setting for the instruction and entertainment.

Next, my thanks go out to Aldrine, Rayan, Aaron and the entire Ukulele
Underground team. Your love of music, teaching, entertaining AND the
UKULELE has been seen and felt by all attending. It's gotta' be a labor of
love, 'cause it ain't the money!

I paid and stayed for both the beginner and intermediate/advanced
classes. At only $15 bucks per class, I know for a fact that I got the better
part of that deal. I had to leave, just before the mini-concert, to pick up my
wife from work. Who ended up winning that beautiful uke? If any of y'all
ever get an opportunity to attend a Ukulele Underground session, it will be
the best Uke money you ever spent.

Gotta' see the Almost Islanders, tonight!

Many here are anxious to know what was on the "menu" for the
workshop. Here it is:

Beginners

1. It started out Aldrine Guerrero giving background on himself and the
band

2. History , tuning and descriptions of various ukulele sizes

3. Strumming, strumming patterns, wrist and finger technique, and
"The Chunk". Many strum patterns were practiced and examples of
their use in popular music were demonstrated

4. We learned Wipeout, with several chord variations, along with the
strum patterns and the lead. The room was divided into two sections
where each side played rythym, while the other side played lead. We
were taught how to read "Tab"

5. We closed with thanks from the Ukulele Underground, for attending
(AND we thanked them!), along with some info on navigating the
Ukulele Underground website. Then questions and answers were
filmed for "Uke Got Mail!".

Intermediate and Advanced

1. It started out Aldrine Guerrero giving background on himself and the
band

2. Strings were discussed, in depth. Brands, experimentation, tension
and changing

3. How to change tone, by attacks, nails, picks and volume, with
demos of popular tunes

4. How to "Phrase" the ukulele, with demos of popular tunes

5. Advanced strumming techniques, involving finger rolls, triplets and
rythym patterns

6. The muted octave strum and how to mobilize it across the scale

7. We learned "Let's Get it On", with chords, scales and
improvisation

8. We closed with thanks from the Ukulele Underground, for attending
(AND we thanked them!), along with some info on navigating the
Ukulele Underground website. Then questions and answers were
filmed for "Uke Got Mail!".

I will upload some photos in groups of 4, later. Off to see Almost Islanders
and the Ukulele Underground at Mo's Island Grinds, tonight! Ric

http://www.mosislandgrinds.com

9823 Carroll Canyon Road
San Diego California 92131
(858)271-8268

Sweet Tunes n' Grubbin'!
I'll arrive there at about 6. maybe I can help with the labor. Ric

mosislandgrinds06.jpg

Looks like a ton of people came, that's awesome! Wish I could of been there. Wish I could go to all the shows haha xP but yea great pics! Looks like fun! :)

RicDoug!!

Thank you sir for attending the workshop! Out of all the ukulele workshops I've been to, this one was probably the best, and I must say that Aldrine and the boys ran it flawlessly. Aldrine is a natural at teaching and speaking; crowd participation was awesome! Ryan was holding down the fort in the back w/ the merchandise and eventually jammin up front w/ Aldrine. Aaron (the man behind the scenes)... I'm sure he got INCREDIBLE footage. Definitely enough to keep him busy for a few weeks! HAHA
I can't wait to see the "Uke Got Mail" footage when it's ready!

The winner of the ukulele was actually 1 of the 2 boys who drove down from Temecula! Cody, I think was the name. He and his buddy actually came w/ no ukuleles, because they only learned 2 days ago, and 1 of them ended up winning the uke! How great is that? =)

good times! I can't wait to bring them back!

Oh, Mo's tonight. If you've got an appetite for destruction... get the Korean BBQ Combo! Kalbi ribs and Korean style mochi chicken... ONO-licious! haha

That's great, Joey! The youngsters really added to the excitement of the class/performance. I know I may not look like it (hahahahaha!), but I can slam some Asian grub! See ya'll there.

The Ukulele Underground and Pacific Arts Studio have my full permission
to use any and all of my photos for any commercial and/or non-commercial
use the like. Ric Douglas

ukuleleunderground1.jpg

ukuleleunderground2.jpg

ukuleleunderground3.jpg

ukuleleunderground4.jpg

WOW! What a night!

I paid and stayed for both the beginner and intermediate/advanced
classes. At only $15 bucks per class, I know for a fact that I got the better
part of that deal. I had to leave, just before the mini-concert, to pick up my
wife from work. Who ended up winning that beautiful uke? If any of y'all
ever get an opportunity to attend a Ukulele Underground session, it will be
the best Uke money you ever spent.

Woah. That sounded like fun. I wish I could have been there for the intermediate/advanced clinic. But out of curiosity, what uke did they give away?

It was a prototype, with a spruce top and maple? sides and back. A very sweet sounding uke. I'm sure someone will chime in with the name.

The Ukulele Underground and Pacific Arts Studio have my full permission
to use any and all of my photos for any commercial and/or non-commercial
use they like. Ric Douglas

ukuleleunderground9.jpg

ukuleleunderground10.jpg

ukuleleunderground11.jpg

ukuleleunderground12.jpg

Wow! What a night and experience the workshop was. My son and I had the best time ever. I mainly came to drop off my son but I was glad I stayed. We were only supposed to stay for beginners workshop, but we couldn't leave and paid for the advanced class not knowing what to expect. Aldrine is definitely a natural teacher. We learned a lot. More than that it gave my son more excitement in playing the uke. The next morning all I heard was him jamming on his uke and Blasting Aldrine's album. The album is a MUST buy. Great music!

Mini-concert ROCKED! I think we finally got out of there 11:30pm. (Way past my son's bedtime)

Great thanks to Pacific Arts for hosting the event (you might have to find a bigger venue next time), to Rayan and Aaron (who were the coolest guys!), and to Joe who highly suggested that we went.

Oh yeah thanks to that really cool guy that let me borrow his uke.

Aldrine don't wait too long to come back to San Diego. I highly recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to join a workshop with Aldrine and the UkuleleUnderground to go. It was money well spent.

BTW... my son is determined to figure out Super Mario... Do you have tabs for that? I haven't checked the other forums yet.

Mahalo! :nana:

Top Bottom