Authentic Kamaka?

Flyke

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm hoping some Kamaka experts out there can verify the authenticity (and maybe even guess the age) of the uke I just bought. I got it off eBay and I absolutely love the sound of it. It has such a beautiful warm mellow tone. Just wondering if someone can tell me how old it is and whether it's the real deal. Here's a video...

http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyin3d?feature=mhum

Thanks in advance.

Mikey

Thanks Bill. I was in at Zenith a few weeks ago, good call, I could certainly ask them! It has no date stamp on it, I'm not sure how long they've been stamping them, but I read somewhere that they've only been doing that 10 years or so. Not sure.
Thanks.

I have a Standard Kamaka ca.1975 that looks NOTHING like what you have.

Well, there are a few similarities - the concave in front of the bridge, the arch in the back, and the black (composite) nut and saddle. My tuners look the same but the screws on mine are severly corroded (after 36 years) and its a bit more yellow in color.

The biggest difference is in the orientation of key elements, which tell me that yours is a really bad copy. Example, my headstock logo and white label are mirror images to yours, and the angle of the fretboard end (near the soundhole) goes the other way. You'd think whomever made that `ukulele would have at least paid attention to those things, like no one would notice. Sheesh, if he at least did that, then it would EXACTLY replicate my "real" Kamaka Standard.

Cheers! Aaron

Hey Aaron,

The Logo and label aren't backwards, I think that's video thing. The Label reads Kamaka, not akamaK and the fretboard does angle down to the correct side.

So, assuming those things are the right way 'round, it looks similar to yours then?

Thanks for the input.

I have a Standard Kamaka ca.1975 that looks NOTHING like what you have.

Well, there are a few similarities - the concave in front of the bridge, the arch in the back, and the black (composite) nut and saddle. My tuners look the same but the screws on mine are severly corroded (after 36 years) and its a bit more yellow in color.

The biggest difference is in the orientation of key elements, which tell me that yours is a really bad copy. Example, my headstock logo and white label are mirror images to yours, and the angle of the fretboard end (near the soundhole) goes the other way. You'd think whomever made that `ukulele would have at least paid attention to those things, like no one would notice. Sheesh, if he at least did that, then it would EXACTLY replicate my "real" Kamaka Standard.

Cheers! Aaron
Aloha Aaron,
I see your concerns...I think the fretboard angle at the bottom is going the wrong angle because of the picture going backwards because if you look at the sticker in the sound hole is backwards... Might just
be a reflected picture..also the black nut and saddle came out between 1976-1982.. and I have one of those...but I notice I have the large shaler tuning screws on mine with the round trim rings on the face of
the headstock, this on has the older hexigon trim rings, tuners, so mine might be newer model. My Kamaka soprano has a little convex arch on the back too...they both had the standard decal and sticker of the time.. My personal conclusion is that this one is around 1976-1982 due to the black nut and saddle..but with the older tuners it may be before 1980..my kamaka back has the same flat back of the headstock between the back of the nut and bottom tuners.. I hope it helps, In my opinion, it is an authenic Kamaka soprano of 1976-1982... maybe a little in the late 70's.. MM Stan

Last edited:
shape of headstock, fingerboard shape, shape of body with concavity on back, black nut and saddle, headstock label, white label look the same as my kamaka standard from the factory 1978-79. Mine and several I have seen and played from the era have had the soundboard slight scalloping in the area you describe - I think that the soundboard was made a shave on the thin side. Looks like mine in the mirror except for the tuners as mm stan had mentioned.

Hope this helps. Looks good!

Great tip, thanks Bill.

And CountryBumpkin thanks for the description of your Kamaka.

So, I'm guessing it's late 70's. Which is cool, 'cos, so am I!

It sure is a beautiful uke to play! I've hardly been able to put it down.

Thanks all.

Hey Aaron,

The Logo and label aren't backwards, I think that's video thing. The Label reads Kamaka, not akamaK and the fretboard does angle down to the correct side.

So, assuming those things are the right way 'round, it looks similar to yours then?

Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the Underground.

I know the vid is reversed. If you re-read my response knowing this, its just my old age way of making conversation and saying you have a Kamaka.

Have fun -Aaron

Welcome to the Underground.

I know the vid is reversed. If you re-read my response knowing this, its just my old age way of making conversation and saying you have a Kamaka.

Have fun -Aaron

LOL! I had your back Aaron. I got the joke right off.

Myself, not so swift as Ronnie. LOL. I think I'm a more concrete thinker. Looks like the real McCoy, anyway.

Top Bottom