...Argh.. It's..so. STRONG!

AncientMatingCalls

Reaction score
I have a tremendous urge to buy a Koaloha tenor to duke it out with my Kanilea. Ever since a few days after I got the Kanilea, I've just been wondering if I should've gotten a Kamaka or Koaloha. I like the Kanilea, but from what I've read about the brighter tone and thinner necks of the other two (specifically the Koaloha) I'm so close to clicking the button and having it be on its way to me.:uhoh:

I guess that's what I get for visiting this site. I guess its not fair the blame this site solely.

Any words of advice?

can only tell you I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, the neck on my KoAloha. I really do not know if I'll ever buy another brand. Can't wait to try though:) As for advice, I am not getting in the middle of that UAS! HA!

I have a KoAloha tenor, and it sounds magical! The neck is thin though. Not saying i don't prefer thin necks, but it really goes easy on the fingers sometimes. :)

PICTURES OF THE KANILE'A PLEASE? :)

Definately a different sound between the KoAloha tenors and the Kanilea tenors. And the Kamakas for that matter too. Which I think you would want if your going to buy another tenor. Why have two ukes that sound the same? The Kanilea necks are a little thicker, but they are also a little wider at the nut, 1 1/2 " compared to 1 3/8" on the KoAloha.

The decision is yours my friend. But you won't be sorry with any of those choices. So go ahead, click that button!

Thanks for the replies people.

A thinner neck is something I really think I could get on with. I do like the rich deep sound that I get from the Kanilea, though when I first got it, I was hoping for a brighter sound. So really I think the neck would be the winning blow. There's always so much good spoken about Koaloha.

Lexxy: I'll get pics in a bit.

dkcrown: The reason for buying this would be to find the uke I want, so keeping both won't be an option. I can't play these ukes before buying, so this is the only way to decide if they are a match for me.

Pics as requested.

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0643.jpg

Sure is a pretty uke! But if you're having second thoughts about it already, it wouldn't hurt to try out something else and keep the one you like best. Either one will have good resale value so it won't be difficult to sell the one you decide not to keep!

I love it when you guys have this dilemma. Give's me a better chance to get a "dream uke" cheap one day.

It is <because> the Kanile'a has that bit more depth of warmth in sound that you can like it! Having another uke gives you choice.
I'm going to Hawaii this spring and am thinking of getting either a Koaloha or Kamaka concert to sit next to my Kanile'a concert. I know they will sound different, I know they will feel and play different. But why wouldn't I love all my children?:D
By the way, don't hesitate to experiment with strings. The Aquilas that came on my Kanile'a, stock, were fine, but I really like the extra bit of bright that Worth clear hards have.
Good Luck.

Im with you there CTurner. I wasn't really a fan of the Kanilea with Aquilas. Its already got such a dark sound, the Aquilas didn't really help much. I've got Worth clears on it now, and it definitely added some clarity I think.

Clears on my Kanile'a seemed to be the right strings.

BUT if I had money to spare wouldn't mind having the KoAloha too. Already have two tenors and two baritones and two concerts and have lost track of the sopranos. But I do feel like I have finally found enough of the "right" ones for me. Now to sort them regarding sale.

Last edited:
The light side is telling you to buy it.

Top Bottom